Stihl Contra German Military Kit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Green Contra

Here is a green contra:

mil1.jpg

Joern

Rics info is correct!

I see a lot of assumptions on models or years.
Many changes acquired with all the models from the original 1106 model all the way to currently.
I can prove all of them, but many times parts were used up from the last change in production.

For example, clutches in the contras, chain drives in the 090G, clutch cover changes, starter covers, and like in the 070 pawls starter compared to the Morse style.

So to know a specific year may be difficult with all the changes, but you can definately figure out the model and know the era or years it was made.

Proof is a must, as Ric has shown, a lot of information is out there that is wrong.
I don't know how many times it has been said here, but I want to see a NEW 090 that is still being made!
There is knock off 070's, and have a 070 made in 2007. But I do not believe they are making the 090 in any model.

Ok if you look at the Stihl Nicrauga and Guatamala sites here .: COMECA :. - 1. Motosierras and here Casa McGregor: STIHL on the Guatamala site they have a 051AV listed and both a non AV 070 and an AV 070 although they did not put up a pic of the AV 070 its just a non AV one. However both these sites dont have many still in production stihl saws listed such as the 440/441/460 or 880 0r 020/ms200t and many smaller models as well. So the verdict isnt going either way.

However I think some Australians on here can verify that up until 2007 a 090AV could be ordered to Australia under special order from Stihl and cost over 3000. There was a dude selling one on here not to long ago. What I can say with 90% certainity is that all 090AV parts are still available in Canada. I spoke with a dealer here just yesterday and he said that a 090AV crankcase could be ordered and would cost $280. Mufflers are also available for around a 100 or so. If these two parts are still available im guessing all other parts are too but I will ask. However I will not claim with 100% certainity about the availbility of these parts until I have ordered the 090AV crankcase and have it in my hands which hopefully will occur in the next month or so.

Ok if you look at the Stihl Nicrauga and Guatamala sites here .: COMECA :. - 1. Motosierras and here Casa McGregor: STIHL on the Guatamala site they have a 051AV listed and both a non AV 070 and an AV 070 although they did not put up a pic of the AV 070 its just a non AV one. However both these sites dont have many still in production stihl saws listed such as the 440/441/460 or 880 0r 020/ms200t and many smaller models as well. So the verdict isnt going either way.

However I think some Australians on here can verify that up until 2007 a 090AV could be ordered to Australia under special order from Stihl and cost over 3000. There was a dude selling one on here not to long ago. What I can say with 90% certainity is that all 090AV parts are still available in Canada. I spoke with a dealer here just yesterday and he said that a 090AV crankcase could be ordered and would cost $280. Mufflers are also available for around a 100 or so. If these two parts are still available im guessing all other parts are too but I will ask. However I will not claim with 100% certainity about the availbility of these parts until I have ordered the 090AV crankcase and have it in my hands which hopefully will occur in the next month or so.

Who told you they aren't still making the 070, 090 and 051?

As far as I know they are, along with the 08s and 076. Also they make the MS381, based on the 038 MagII, and have made the MS380.

Who told you they aren't still making the 070, 090 and 051?

As far as I know they are, along with the 08s and 076. Also they make the MS381, based on the 038 MagII, and have made the MS380.

No one. All Im saying is that the 090 is not listed on the sites of those two south american countries. However the 070 and 051 are. However at the same time these two south American stihl sites dont have many common saws listed such as the ms440/441, ms460, ms660, ms880, ms200t/201t etc.... so I said the verdict is either way as to whether the 090AV is still being sold in some countries but i personally think it is, just so far I cannot find any concrete proof.

After talking with a few AS members and other techs, I believe that the Contra in the kit is not original to the kit. I believe that the Contra should be green. But then again, they were producing so many different Contras, there is no telling what happened. What I think I have is a really nice military kit and a really nice Contra. Which brings me to my next question.....anyone have a green Contra they want to get rid of?

just to give this another spin, just because its not green does NOT mean it is not military. it may have been a replacement saw for an original "green" one for what ever reason, and do to the time frame a "green" one may not have been availeable.

However I think some Australians on here can verify that up until 2007 a 090AV could be ordered to Australia under special order from Stihl and cost over 3000. There was a dude selling one on here not to long ago. What I can say with 90% certainty is that all 090AV parts are still available in Canada. I spoke with a dealer here just yesterday and he said that a 090AV crankcase could be ordered and would cost $280. Mufflers are also available for around a 100 or so. If these two parts are still available I'm guessing all other parts are too but I will ask. However I will not claim with 100% certainty about the availability of these parts until I have ordered the 090AV crankcase and have it in my hands which hopefully will occur in the next month or so.

Sup all,
You threw a good many questions here.
Will try to answer them in no particular order as the "Wild Turkey" has now sub-sided my gout in my left big toe, a deep cut that needed stitches in my middle finger, a pulled trapezius muscle and a sprained ankle for for being a part time wannabee logger on our property. LOL!!

Pretty much keep in mind the 090 is the 070 minus the barrel-slug and big clutch (piston and cylinder for US folks). So cases are around some distributors.
Now keep this in mind: When you \go to a dealer or your buddy and try asking if parts are available, the Stihl parts ordering will not tell the dealer if they are not available.
I have seen first hand "South American" Stihl saws being sold to the 'Brazilian market' That HUGE TRACK OF VIRGIN RAINFOREST.
But the truth is most of the cutting is now contracted with international buyers supplying the funds and equipment. The last rounds of photos and info I have seen and heard is the 3120 and 395 huskies are now doing most of the real deforestation.
I do not believe Stihl has made a 090AV since 1997 or earlier. All parts to the last form of AV were also discontinued with it as the # of units actually sold did not support a parts supply format. Not sure I answer any questions but know know from talking to a good many distributors in SEVERAL countries hunting parts my self.

you could still get 090AV new in Australia untill about 2004-5, i was looking for AV parts early this year and was talking to a Stihl dealer in my state and he had been to Germany 12 months ago on a tour with Stihl dealers and he said he had seen 090's being made for the Russia market, the dealer himself brought home a brand new 076!

that saw does not have a 1965 starter. the rivet on tag may have come
in 1967 on last contras and then the 070.

I also thought all contras sold in europe said contra on the top and not contra lightning.

Old thread but my contra (which was sold in europe) says 'contra lightning' on the decal.
As you can see on my avatar

Just found this thread. I've seen a few Bund Contra's here, but not one with full kit. Have seen several BLK 57's with full kit (including one that I hope to buy soon) as well as some of the later saws, like this 045 - http://www.ebay.de/itm/Motorsaege-S...ZEZ1q84Pz%2FNL%2BvQvg%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc.

I started my career in the Army as an engineer; we had axes in our Pioneer kits, but I don't recall seeing any chainsaws. Suspect we would use COTS (commercial off the shelf) when necessary, but a single wrap of det cord would be enough to fell the majority of trees that we would run across...

Scott

Latest posts

Back