Stihl Contra Info Sharing Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to ask you guys that have skills in casting parts. Is it possible to cast the gearbox/crankcase side of the Contra G? It could be a great project to build up a Contra G from parts. It should not be that big a problem to make the shaft, chain and sprokets.

I have read some time time ago that one might have made building blueprints for gearbox parts. Any one know if that is true?

It might be a long shoot, but the firm that make the aftermaked crankcase could be able to make gearbox crankcase. Anyone know if they can be contacted by mail??

I have to ask you guys that have skills in casting parts. Is it possible to cast the gearbox/crankcase side of the Contra G? It could be a great project to build up a Contra G from parts. It should not be that big a problem to make the shaft, chain and sprokets.

I have read some time time ago that one might have made building blueprints for gearbox parts. Any one know if that is true?

It might be a long shoot, but the firm that make the aftermaked crankcase could be able to make gearbox crankcase. Anyone know if they can be contacted by mail??

Steff,
The cost of reproducing the gear drive crank case would be many thousands of dollars!...perhaps more than the cost of a good original G.

I have looked into machining the gear case cover and these would cost around $1000- aud each!......Even to machine bar cover for the G costs $300-.

Some time ago I was looking for the gear drive parts for a 090G, the front drive shaft could be made by any machine shop and the correct size gears/sprockets can be purchased with blank centres and bored to suit.

Edit] I managed to find original 090g gears, see post #442 this thread.

Yes it will cost a lot, but i have two problems... One is to find one that will sell a Contra G, the other is there is no Contra G here in Europe. I have to import one from Austalia or USA. Here in Denmark we have hard tax rules, if i import things from outsite Europe they will put on taxes of 25-50% on the price of the item. The Contra G will cost alot in the US, and then put shipping and import tax on top of that... Thats why i was thinking about building one as a project.

I have the IPL, that shows it on there if that helps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Ed, I've never seen an original Contra tool kit and I'm curious to know what colour the tool pouch /roll is?....I've been told they were grey?

I think the 070/090 tool kit was yellow?......And the 07/07s kit was olive green?

71d785b4c6cc402706db20406de8d0f4.jpg

Tool kit was rather simple tbh
21 & 17 mm scrench, 8 & 10mm spanner, piston stop, carb screwdriver and a cloth

71d785b4c6cc402706db20406de8d0f4.jpg

Tool kit was rather simple tbh
21 & 17 mm scrench, 8 & 10mm spanner, piston stop, carb screwdriver and a cloth

Very cool...I can't help with the tool pouch color but here's a pic of the lightening ipl tool kit page...
image.jpg

I managed to find original 090g gears, see post #442 this thread.

Any (leftover) 1/2" sprockets or just the gears?

As for the Toolkit, I tried to find images and all I could come up with are these

werkzeug_1.jpeg werkzeug_2.jpeg werkzeug_3.jpeg

It has the correct logo but might be an 08S set as well. I have also seen an olive green one which may have been for the Bundeswehr version. I guess the new-in-box Lightning from WoodBoss could tell the real story.

Sorry guys, I won't be able to have proof of the tool kit. Years ago the guy I bought the saw from said that someone had taken the kit out for some reason. The only thing in the box with the saw is a owners manual, saw wrench and a bag to go over the air filter.

There's been numerous threads about these Stihl gear drives sprockets and I know they're hard to find!

Also I believe some AS members have had a go at making them?........Is there anyone that knows of a supply of these sprockets in .404 and 1/2"?
Contra G parts 004.JPG

Latest posts

Back