Stihl Contra Info Sharing Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm new to site but have been reading for a few years looking for info on various saws. Recently picked up a Lightning serial# 98561,auto oiler and HL74 carb in pretty good shape. A little carb work and it runs fine but it is missing the entire governor assembly so I'm looking for info on where to get it or if is even possible. I have seen some of the parts on Ebay but not all. Other saws I currently have are 011AVT, 5- 015L, 2-030AV, and 2 early 041AV. Hope that in the future I can add something to the forums.

Interesting find today -- I went to the local Stihl dealer and told him I was looking for parts for an 07 S, 075/076, 070/090, and Contra. He filled up a box with new Stihl parts, and in it was a Contra flywheel and it's stamped, "Ducati 0 204 103 057" and "Made in Italy." Didn't know Ducati was making parts for Stihl saws. Despite the weird number stamped on it, it's definitely an 1106 flywheel - should be part number 1106 400 1206.

Interesting find today -- I went to the local Stihl dealer and told him I was looking for parts for an 07 S, 075/076, 070/090, and Contra. He filled up a box with new Stihl parts, and in it was a Contra flywheel and it's stamped, "Ducati 0 204 103 057" and "Made in Italy." Didn't know Ducati was making parts for Stihl saws. Despite the weird number stamped on it, it's definitely an 1106 flywheel - should be part number 1106 400 1206.

Those are aftermarket parts: Ducati Energia has been making, among many other things, flywheels, generators, starters etc for small engines for decades now. They manufacture both OE and aftermarket.

Ducati Energia was split from Ducati Motor in the early 50's and lost all connections to Ducati Motor in the 80's, when the two groups went their separate ways following a major shakeup.

Those are aftermarket parts: Ducati Energia has been making, among many other things, flywheels, generators, starters etc for small engines for decades now. They manufacture both OE and aftermarket.

Ducati Energia was split from Ducati Motor in the early 50's and lost all connections to Ducati Motor in the 80's, when the two groups went their separate ways following a major shakeup.

Thanks for the details!

Scott

So my 5 Contra's are all 106 cc. All purchased in Germany. Earliest is 100,598; latest is 375XXX. Not sure if my oldest one is from 1959 or 1960. It's darker than the others.

I'm in need of parts, so if anyone has spare original bars, carburetors, mufflers, cylinder/pistons, engine shrouds, top covers, and a recoil/starter assembly, please let me know. I do have some spares, too, if you would prefer to trade.

Also, is anyone reproducing Contra cylinders and pistons?

Thanks,

Scott

Contra's (106cc) were manufactured with two different cylinders. Earlier ones look exactly the a smaller version of the S cylinder block, with a missing row of cooling fins, and they are rarer than hen teeth. If you have one of these cylinders in acceptable conditions, hold on to it.

Pistons... there's a German company called Saegenspezl which had a batch of 58mm pistons manufactured. Try looking up for them. I haven't tried these pistons so I cannot comment on quality but to the best of my knowledge they are the only alternative to OE.
Cylinders... good luck with that. I'll ask my Stihl dealership (they started out by selling Contra's) if they have any idea but I think there's no alternative to OE right now.

Contra's (106cc) were manufactured with two different cylinders. Earlier ones look exactly the a smaller version of the S cylinder block, with a missing row of cooling fins, and they are rarer than hen teeth. If you have one of these cylinders in acceptable conditions, hold on to it.

Pistons... there's a German company called Saegenspezl which had a batch of 58mm pistons manufactured. Try looking up for them. I haven't tried these pistons so I cannot comment on quality but to the best of my knowledge they are the only alternative to OE.
Cylinders... good luck with that. I'll ask my Stihl dealership (they started out by selling Contra's) if they have any idea but I think there's no alternative to OE right now.

Thanks for the details. A bit more info on where I am -

-I have one saw that arrived with no cylinder, but I have a nice OE cylinder and piston on the way from Croatia.

-I have one cylinder that has a broken exhaust stud (about 1/4" deep). I think I can get it out with some heat and a left-hand drill bit, perhaps saving the original threads. If not, I can just drill the entire stud out and use a Time-Sert for the repair.

-I have yet another cylinder that must have been dropped with the exhaust stud hanging out, because there's a chunk missing, including some of the threaded area. I will try to have this TIG welded (or I may end up buying a spool gun for my MIG so I can do it myself) and then I can drill and tap a new hole.

-I do have an NOS piston that I got from my local Stihl dealer (along with a fair amount of other items).

-I have new Caber rings for all of my Contra's; I plan to replace them all when I refresh the saws.

-I'm quite familiar with Saegenzpezl (and vice versa!). I have purchased a number of items from them.

Question - are the two different 106 cc Contra cylinders interchangeable? And how can you tell them apart? Do you know the date when they changed?

Thanks again,

Scott

To the best of my knowledge the two cylinders are interchangable: the old style cylinder was mostly used on sandcast Contra's but it seems there was some mixing and matching as Stihl was apparently overstocked on these old cylinders.
I've heard the old cylinder was used on new production Contra's until 1963, 1964 or 1965: there's much confusion on the matter.

I thought you could successfully run an 070 piston in a 106cc Contra?

I thought you could successfully run an 070 piston in a 106cc Contra?

There was some talk of machining a 070 piston top to fit a Contra a decade or so ago when the supply of NOS 58mm pistons effectively dried up. I don't know if any progress has been made, but back in the day it was held to be unfeasible because one would have to machine through the piston crown.

There was some talk of machining a 070 piston top to fit a Contra a decade or so ago when the supply of NOS 58mm pistons effectively dried up. I don't know if any progress has been made, but back in the day it was held to be unfeasible because one would have to machine through the piston crown.

Guess I need to check my NOS piston, but I think it's for an 070.

Scott

I posted earlier this month concerning the governor assembly on the Contra/Lightning I'm working on. Well have been able to find almost all parts from Stihl dealer,Ebay and old parts sources except one part # 1106 100 0901 which in IPL lists as shaft bushing and in service manual as shaft retainer clip. I'm looking for a source for this part so if someone knows let me know. Thanks

I posted earlier this month concerning the governor assembly on the Contra/Lightning I'm working on. Well have been able to find almost all parts from Stihl dealer,Ebay and old parts sources except one part # 1106 100 0901 which in IPL lists as shaft bushing and in service manual as shaft retainer clip. I'm looking for a source for this part so if someone knows let me know. Thanks

Do you know what it looks like? I have a few Contra's apart now. I don't have any spare parts, but I could take pictures and measurements of what I have and you should be able to source it somewhere.

Scott

Latest posts

Back