Stihl Contra Info Sharing Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you know what it looks like? I have a few Contra's apart now. I don't have any spare parts, but I could take pictures and measurements of what I have and you should be able to source it somewhere.

Scott
Know what it looks like. It is the bushing that the governor shaft goes through on the carburetor side before going through the casing into the area by the flywheel and it has an extension that forms a clip that retains the governor shaft. Thanks for offering to take the pictures but have just not been able to locate a source that has any on hand.

Know what it looks like. It is the bushing that the governor shaft goes through on the carburetor side before going through the casing into the area by the flywheel and it has an extension that forms a clip that retains the governor shaft. Thanks for offering to take the pictures but have just not been able to locate a source that has any on hand.

Ok, I'll try to get some pics tonight after work.

Scott

I posted earlier this month concerning the governor assembly on the Contra/Lightning I'm working on. Well have been able to find almost all parts from Stihl dealer,Ebay and old parts sources except one part # 1106 100 0901 which in IPL lists as shaft bushing and in service manual as shaft retainer clip. I'm looking for a source for this part so if someone knows let me know. Thanks

https://shop.wmv-dresden.de/artikeldetails/11061000901END parts shop in Germany

The search for part 1106 100 0901 governor shaft bushing/retainer clip is back on. The Dresden Germany company who took an order for the part just cancelled saying they can no longer get the part. So again if someone has a source let me know or if someone may have the part and is willing to give it up I will purchase it. Thanks to those if have already tried to assist in the search.

You need the silver piece on the top left of the attached picture, right? Those bits are all from my Contra #176143. You can also see all of the governor parts on the Contra IPL, page 18 of 25. Let me know if you don't have the IPL and I'll e mail it to you.

Ciao,

ScottDSCN1375.JPG

I have the IPL and you are correct the bushing/retainer clip on the top left of your picture is what I need. I have been able to get all the other items in your picture from various sources. Thanks for the offer of the IPL and your picture shows all the parts real well. My Lightning serial #98561 and without the governor it will hit 7000RPMs at around half throttle so I really want to get the governor working even though I won't be running it much.

I did see this parts earlier. Checked the ipl and found its the same part.

Contacted 5 spare parts suppliers and no one could deliver.

Does anyone know anything about this style of Contra oil tank cover? I can't seem to find anything about it. I did find one photograph of a similar cover, but no information.

View attachment 560053
I have one just like that, i have postet picutes of it in this thread and the pictures has been copyed to other sites on the net.
It seems that this oilpump cover was only used on saws with serial nr. around 112.000. What is the serial on your saw??

/Steffen

I have one just like that, i have postet picutes of it in this thread and the pictures has been copyed to other sites on the net.
It seems that this oilpump cover was only used on saws with serial nr. around 112.000. What is the serial on your saw??

/Steffen

Mine is 107174. Any idea what the deal is with it? I opened it up and the pump itself appears to be a standard pump from the early saws. I'm wondering if they were experimenting with a manual oiler plunger and started making tank covers, but did follow through with the first revision of the pump yet still used the covers. Hard telling...

Thanks for the reply Steffen!

Maybe your saw has had it oilcover replaced?
I have seen a few with this special cover. All had serial around 112.000 just like mine. And my theory is that this cover was used just before the manual oiler came on the saws in 1960. Production of the Contra from serial 83.000 to 112.000 did not have the manual oiler.

There is obviously no way to know for sure, but everything looks to be all original on the saw, including the oil tank. It doesn't have any of the key indicators for a replacement part; off color, inconsistent wear marks, marred fasteners, etc.

Back