Stihl Crank seal puller

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lumberjack89

Reaction score
Looking to by a Stihl or aftermarket Crank seal puller,Anyone know where I can find one?

Make one. Flat screwdriver with a notch cut in the side and a drywall screw. Those 2 will get probably 90% of seals out if your careful and patient

I have the Sthil puller and it sits in my tool chest most of the time. Modified screwdriver is quicker and more efficient, as with the Sthil puller many times one ends up resorting to other means anyways. The Husqvarna seal pullers I have found to be useless.

the stihl seal puller is worth every penny it will pull the smallest of seals...like the 026 series,,and no worrys of scratching the case or crank with it either...my time to work on saws is usually slim with work and a 4 year old so I like to make the most use of it

026 is a pain but not bad. Just need a smaller screwdriver with the notch. I haven't used the stihl puller. .. cheap skate. If they work as good as the dolmar pullers I will continue being cheap

I think the theme is that all the pullers are mediocre...but then again it's a tricky tool to make. Think about it, home made tools and screws can damage the case and bearings, a designer has to make it so that puller doesn't. Anyway, I have the Stihl and it's...ok. Slips out lots, but I get it eventually.

Good Morning,

When using the STIHL seal puller.

Replace the wing screws, used for pulling the arms out against the seal, with torx screws. Don't tighten too much, but you have a lot more grip on the seal.

These were my first attempts. I have replaced both with better versions- rounded/smoothed corners, and more metal behind the notch. I encourage you to buy quality screwdrivers for this mod- I use SnapOn's now.

View attachment 340146
I used a harbor freight screwdriver for my first one. The hook broke off. I'll sacrifice a good screwdriver next time.

If you like playing around with expensive tools then the puller is for you, if you want to get the seal out and back in efficiently then the screwdrivers are the right tool. In the time it takes to get the puller set up, in place ,tensioned and start pulling a seal a good tech with a modified screwdriver will have the seal out and likely seated back in place . I make tools, comes from my background, if I can make a better efficient tool I will.

whats the technique for getting them out with the screwdriver and what sealant do u use when putting them back in

I turn the screwdriver flat with the crank, force it in behind the rubber seal, twist the screwdriver 90°, and then push the handle down. Sometimes you have to move to the other side of the crank and repeat. I can have a seal out in 10 seconds- 20 if I have to pop it in two places.

One tip- take a pic of how deeply the seat is seated if you're not familiar with this saw or you're not going right back in with the replacement.

I use sockets to seat the seal- clean the seat and crank with a paper towel and carb cleaner, lube the lip and outer part of the seal, set it onto the crank, and slowly tap it down with a socket- I like one that just barely smaller than the diameter of the race. Watch the seal to make sure it's going down squarely. You can rock the socket around to keep the seal moving evenly. Remember, you can always go a little deeper, but once your too deep or have the seal too cocked-eyed, there's nothing to do but pull the seal and install a new one.

Latest posts

Back