Stihl decompression valve

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayC

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I just started playing with my new-to-me 036 Pro this weekend. It ran and cut absolutely great, however, I couldn't get the saw to fire with the decomp button pressed. After a few pulls, the button popped out for some reason (maybe the motor started to start, but didn't sound like it?), then it started right up w/o the button. I tried a few times and couldn't get it do do anything with the button pressed. It didn't seem all that hard to pull either - the saw is supposed to have 155PSI compression - I don't have a tester, but the saw hangs from the pull-cord, so that's usually a good sign. It did start pretty easily (w/o the button), which is indicative of good compression. What is the procedure for using the decomp button, and does anyone ever actually use it?

JayC

Some high-displacement saws (80cc or more) with high compression (150 lb or more) require a strong pull (or several strong pulls if cold and no primer pump or purge pump) to start if no compression release. This puts a lot of strain on both the operator and the starter mechanism components of the saw. The comp. release makes these pulls a lot easier on the operator and the saw. As soon as the saw fires, the comp release is supposed to automatically pop out and the saw goes to full compression. Once a saw is warm, I don't bother with the release.

Latest posts

Back