Stihl EDT8

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaseyForrest

I am NOT a tree freak.
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Got a second chance offer on the EDT8 on Ebay.

Just want to know if its going to work with the 361, 441, and 660. Heard the new tachs were for the new style ignitions coming out, and havent heard if they will work with the older saws.

Casey, make sure it is from the seller. I had people contact me after I sold my barn wood on ebay and said they received a 2nd chance offer to get the wood. I did not send it. Someone sees that you lost and then sends a 2nd chance and you send payment to them in a scam. So just make sure it is the seller, by contacting them and asking first. Just a heads up on the scammers.

It happened to me once here not too long ago. If its authentic the message will also be posted in your my e-bay messages as well as your personal e-mail. Good luck Casey.

Everything looked kosher. I did get a message in MyEbay, with the links to the item as well.

I went ahead and bought it, $90 shipped. Figure thats a good deal.

Andy, so it will work with the saws I have?

Is the 8 wireless? I see in a pic that it has a clamp with a wire attached, but the wire isnt attached to the tach....Is it set up to be used both wired and wireless?

CaseyForrest said:
Andy, so it will work with the saws I have?

Is the 8 wireless? I see in a pic that it has a clamp with a wire attached, but the wire isnt attached to the tach....Is it set up to be used both wired and wireless?

Yes... and yes...

I clip the tach antenna wire to the ignition lead or nearby case, but will work either way.

Lakeside53 said:
Yes... and yes...

I clip the tach antenna wire to the ignition lead or nearby case, but will work either way.

Sweet!!!

I think my freebie tach is toast, it was telling me my bg55 was running 9900 WOT. Then would jump up to 14...and back down to 10 something.

I guess they can go bad.

CaseyForrest said:
Sweet!!!

I think my freebie tach is toast, it was telling me my bg55 was running 9900 WOT. Then would jump up to 14...and back down to 10 something.

I guess they can go bad.

or you have a bad coil... the tach will read all you give it, so if you coil is sparking all over the place...

Thats the one I have. I use it wireless. Works well. The only thing I mess up some times. Is to hit the progam button to many times and set it for the four stroke mode. Then trying to figure out way wot is 6000 rpm.:laugh:

Reddog said:
Thats the one I have. I use it wireless. Works well. The only thing I mess up some times. Is to hit the progam button to many times and set it for the four stroke mode. Then trying to figure out way wot is 6000 rpm.:laugh:

I cant wait till it gets here! I noticed in the guys listing after I paid him he says he only ships out on Saturdays. DOH!!!

Im trying to coax him into shipping this AM.

The guy had two of those tach's, I beat you to the first one, same price, $88, I thought it was a good deal too after having another one snagged out from under me just before I was ready to hit the Buy It Now button, that one went for closer to $100 which is what I hear is the average price for a Sthil tach, from Sthil. Mine came in yesterday, seller did a good job packing and shipping as promised.

Anyway like everyone else I'm curious as to how close I can tune a saw by ear.

What is the average rpm for most saws WOT with bar and chain and the idle speed?? I have been looking in some of my owners manuels, the two figures I come up with are idle speed is about 2,800 RPM. Max. RPM speed is about 13,000 this sounds about right to me for a stock saw, give or take a little.

Larry

Ax-man said:
What is the average rpm for most saws WOT with bar and chain and the idle speed?? I have been looking in some of my owners manuels, the two figures I come up with are idle speed is about 2,800 RPM. Max. RPM speed is about 13,000 this sounds about right to me for a stock saw, give or take a little.

Larry

It depends on the saw... you'r low for the mall saws, high for the large saws... Tell us what you have and the numbers will appear..

Aw Lake, I was afraid you would ask that, but here we go, these are the runners from the working stable so to speak and the running back -up saws that see action once in awhile.

020's and ms 200's
021,023, 025's 028's
031,039's,
ms 361
046 mag
066mag
076's
088 mag
misc stuff- ht 101, ht 75,FS 250,450 550

I think that is all of them for the Sthils

04Ultra will show you what he has!

Ultra - help the man out!'

Be careful taching that 088 - it probably has a limiting coil and you'll get all messed up if you chase it.

Lakeside53 said:
04Ultra will show you what he has!

Ultra - help the man out!'

Be careful taching that 088 - it probably has a limiting coil and you'll get all messed up if you chase it.

What you need Andy????..................................I 'm here now..

Latest posts

Back