Stihl Farm Boss 029 Chain Binding Problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to leave for a little bit, what do you mean by the black handle? You mean the actual saw handle? One way or another I'm going to have to get the confidence in removing the clutch.

Is removal of the handle tough? It doesn't look to bad, but you never know.

Mike

Yes, the saw top handle. It's easy - pry out the black plugs, unscrew all the screws you see on the handle and it slips off. The top mount by the muffler can be a PITA to put back in - I normally just pull the muffler and squeeze it in with channel locks.

Here is the latest. I would assume we are down to the oiler. Here is what I know:

Thanks to receiving a service manual, I got up the guts to remove the clutch. I used the 3/8 rope trick that Lakeside recommended and was able to loosen and remove the clutch. Upon inspection the clutch did go eccentric and cut into the suction hose. Although the hole is pretty small, I would guess any hole would be a bad hole. That explains the oil (at least in part) coming from the bottom of the clutch. Now, is there damage to the oiler itself? It did cut a little in a couple of spots, but I dont' see major damage. I need to take it and clean the oiler up over at my school shop to inspect it better. I'll let you know.

Three challenges left:

*finding the parts, I'll call around tomorrow

*getting it back together properly, I'm bad at jigsaw puzzles

and

*determining before all that if the oiler has additional damage

Question on point three:

What if I am not sure if the oiler has damage? Do I replace the suction hose, put it all back together and take my chances? or is there steps I can take to determine that?

Thanks again.

Mike

If the suction hose is damaged, that's most likely your problem. Make sure the worm spins freely (keep it pressed down lightly). If so, just try it.

If you have or intend to remove the oiler, be very carefull with the torque on the screws - they are self threading and real easy to strip out.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!

When the sprocket broke and the needle bearing went bad, the clutch went eccentric and cut the suction tube from the oiler. Luckily, no other damage to the oiler.

Through you folks' help I was able to fix it myself.

Lakeside53 was the winner on the diagnosis. I kept thinking something else since I had repaired the sprocket and needle bearing. He kept insisting check the oiler for damage and I kept looking elsewhere.

Thanks to Ultra for the help with the service manual and IPL and thanks to Pest for giving me the confidence to go forward and give the repair a try.

It appears to be working good now. :bowdown:

Thanks again,
Mike

So.. now you are ready to get a real project saw... your life as you knew it is OVER!:hmm3grin2orange:

I'm happy it was an easy fix.

Now put some hi-temp grease on that clutch bearing.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!

When the sprocket broke and the needle bearing went bad, the clutch went eccentric and cut the suction tube from the oiler. Luckily, no other damage to the oiler.

Through you folks' help I was able to fix it myself.

Lakeside53 was the winner on the diagnosis. I kept thinking something else since I had repaired the sprocket and needle bearing. He kept insisting check the oiler for damage and I kept looking elsewhere.

Thanks to Ultra for the help with the service manual and IPL and thanks to Pest for giving me the confidence to go forward and give the repair a try.

It appears to be working good now. :bowdown:

Thanks again,
Mike

This is what this AS site is really all about. You have the manual and the confidence...now get your self protection gear (goggles, hearing protection, safety shoes and chaps) and you will be logging.:blob2:

It is tough to log in Northwest Ohio. But, for what little I do, I consider it my logging!

Thanks to everyone again.

Pretty cool site. It just goes to show, there is a passion for everyone.

:clap:

Great thread and top videos from Ultra - but...

no PPE is fine and dandy whilst you don't cut yourself, but the one thing you will never get back is your hearing. It bothers me more to see someone cut without ear defenders than without chaps. Chances are you won't hurt yourself, but little by little you will lose sensitivity to high frequencies. This leads to isolation and being left out of conversations in your 50s and on. It may seem a long way off now...

After the best part of 25 years as a sound engineer I thought I had a fair grasp of the subject. I recently did a course on Noise at Work and it really reinforced how soon you can do lasting damage.

Rant over.

Big Feller.

Back