Stihl farm boss vs husqvarna rancher

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drop the husky and the stihl in sub 30 degree temps... the husky case will break and the MS290 will still be kickin.. They are both fine saws for farm use. Everyone here hates the plastic cased saws. the truth is they are affordable saws that will last more years than their owners if well taken care of.

Sub zero is over a quarter of the year here, and they both do fine, I dont see many trees growing on concrete around these parts!

The MS290 and 455 are the most popular saws from Stihl and Husqvarna. There are more of either model cutting more wood every day than any pro saw Stihl or Husqvarna have ever made.

Both price point saws, and both good deals.

Well now that this wast of space thread is at it's end, I have a question. Did I insult anyone in this thread? maybe a member that is now thankfully banned? Sure I called him out, but I don't find calling a spade a spade an insult IMHO.:cheers:

since everbody else has voiced their opinion, and I just have happened to run both saws in question, I'd go with the Husky. I kind of agree with the guy that said the Stihl saws feel like a saw 10CC less. Huskies do for me what I feel is the reason I'm buying a saw, to get thru the wood in the least amount of time, with little downtime, so I can go do something else. Now, I've never run a modded Stihl, and some people get great numbers modding them. I'll never buy another new saw though, it's unlikely. Models 10-15 years old can be made new inexpensively, and I just put a 359 back together in 25 minutes from complete tear down. It was used, now it's completely clean, the cylinder and muffler modified. I've got about $258 in the saw so far, and it's going to run better than new once the Motoseal has set.

It would seem your mastery of the English language and humor are on par with your knowledge of chainsaws.

Brilliant doesn't come to mind.......

Come back later and be polite.

Cut the bloke some slack, he dosn't speak english as a first language...he's a damn Kiwi.:hmm3grin2orange:

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

To the original poster.

Both of the saws you mentioned are great saws .........................for an occasional woodcutter!
I haven't owned any of the 4?? series Huskies but have owned a few of the 029-MS390 series and they just do not deserve the criticism they receive here.
There are WAY too many first generation 029's still out there cutting wood on a regular basis to make any intelligent argument to the contrary!

The deciding factor for me in this dilemma would be the following;

1) Husky parts online!!! I am working before any of the dealers open and usually have to work well beyond closing time for all but one (GREAT) Dolmar dealer. If I only had one saw and it went out of commission, without parts online, I would be screwed.

2) Interchangeability of parts. If you get into the Stihl saws they are more apt to have proprietary parts, (bars, .058 or .063 gauge chain, different rim drive size etc.) that won't readily interchange with other saws or that aren't readily available except from a dealer.

3) Parts prices.

Either saw will serve your needs well and if taken care of, will give a lifetime of good service.
I will vehemently disagree with those who say forget the "Farm and Ranch" saws and get a used Pro model.
If I am correct in assuming that you aren't a saw mechanic, the warranty on a new saw could be worth far more than having a pro designed saw.

JMHO

Mike

Drop the husky and the stihl in sub 30 degree temps... the husky case will break and the MS290 will still be kickin.. They are both fine saws for farm use. Everyone here hates the plastic cased saws. the truth is they are affordable saws that will last more years than their owners if well taken care of.

Brass tacks; of both of these saw in question wish has sold more and used more in the USA

To answer that question "it just to easy" to answer

[video=youtube;stdi-1tIUhM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stdi-1tIUhM[/video]

To the original poster.

Both of the saws you mentioned are great saws .........................for an occasional woodcutter! .....

I happen to disagree, as you surely know.:msp_smile:

In my book, the money "saved" by buying saws like that isn't enough to make it a good choise - but each to their own....

Well now that this wast of space thread is at it's end, I have a question. Did I insult anyone in this thread? maybe a member that is now thankfully banned? Sure I called him out, but I don't find calling a spade a spade an insult IMHO.:cheers:

My impression was that there was more behind some of your posts than what was written in this thread - but then I may not have seen everything, before it was deleted? I actually was confused, and still am to some degree.....

I happen to disagree, as you surely know.:msp_smile:

In my book, the money "saved" by buying saws like that isn't enough to make it a good choise - but each to their own....

Yeah Niko, I know you disagree.
I just don't know why.

To me it is obvious that not everyone needs a pro built saw, and tying money up in a tool that far exceeds your needs is a bit silly.

Why would someone (normal) want to pay $800.00 for a pro saw when they could get a saw that would fulfill their needs just as well for $400.00 and invest the other $400.00 and let it be working for them instead of sitting on a shelf in the garage depreciating and collecting dust?

Mike

Yeah Niko, I know you disagree.
I just don't know why.

To me it is obvious that not everyone needs a pro built saw, and tying money up in a tool that far exceeds your needs is a bit silly.

Why would someone (normal) want to pay $800.00 for a pro saw when they could get a saw that would fulfill their needs just as well for $400.00 and invest the other $400.00 and let it be working for them instead of sitting on a shelf in the garage depreciating and collecting dust?

Mike

:msp_biggrin: The price differenses just are too small, specially when you take the expected "lifetime" of a saw into consideration - and consider what other stuff cost.

Back