Stihl farm boss vs husqvarna rancher

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Then wouldn't a discussion be pointless?:ices_rofl:

That depends on the exact statements that are made - and it is getting all wrong when people
find it nesessary to "talk up" the lesser models, as if justifying their choise to themself and others. There is a lot of that going on here.....

Yeah Niko, I know you disagree.
I just don't know why.

To me it is obvious that not everyone needs a pro built saw, and tying money up in a tool that far exceeds your needs is a bit silly.

Why would someone (normal) want to pay $800.00 for a pro saw when they could get a saw that would fulfill their needs just as well for $400.00 and invest the other $400.00 and let it be working for them instead of sitting on a shelf in the garage depreciating and collecting dust?

Mike

Exactly!!!!!!! That saved money could go into other wood related equipment be it a splitter etc.

The 029/039/290/310/390 series of saws are all very capable chainsaws. They are built plenty strong and will last for decades if taken care of, just like a pro saw must be taken care of. The power to weight ratios doesn't matter much to those for which these saws are marketed and sold. Most also don't care about their construction, whether they have a clamshell engine or built like pro saws are. These saw have stong forged rods, NiSi coated cylinders, good sized crank bearings, etc, etc..

With that said, I wouldn't call them a semi-pro saw either. They're simply a well built homeowner/firewood cutter saw. Are they crap like ST tries to make them out to be? ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! Would I buy or regularly use one? No. But that's because I'm a saw snob, lol.

The bottom line, is that any saw in this series will do a good job for most people that need a chainsaw.

ST, I totally understand you not liking these saws for yourself. I also understand advising someone to buy a pro saw, IF it's within their budget. However, they are NOT the pieces of crap that you try to make them out to be. Period!

:msp_biggrin: The price differenses just are too small, specially when you take the expected "lifetime" of a saw into consideration - and consider what other stuff cost.

Exactly! When you take into consideration that a homeowner is going to cut only a certain amount of wood in his life of active woodheating. Then these saw fit in perfectly. They donot need the pro model to outlive them so that the children or grandchildren have this antique in hands and say something like "wow sure is nice to have it, but I'll take my lithium ion drive chainsaw anytime I think of going cutting some wood instead of this old hunk of magnesium". Just be honest, why aren't you using a Stihl 041 or Jonsered 51 or the Jonsered Raket 621? Come on tell us why not? I'm sure they, by your standard, were all pro models at their time.

It may feel great today but tomorow who knows?

And 400$ may not mean a lot to some people but it sure means a lot to others. And speaking of money like that sure gives the impression of a certain decadence. I have no problem getting what I want, but I take into serious consideration what I need.

I happen to disagree, as you surely know.:msp_smile:

In my book, the money "saved" by buying saws like that isn't enough to make it a good choise - but each to their own....

But think of the muscles gained...and you save money:hmm3grin2orange:

"I was trying to keep it REAL but that went the way of the dildo bird"

Get the 455 Rancher II with autotune if you can wait a bit. No messing with adjustments, no blowing up by accident. :msp_smile:

Get the 455 Rancher II with autotune if you can wait a bit. No messing with adjustments, no blowing up by accident. :msp_smile:

Yeah then every time there is a problem you have to take it to the dealer to plug it in.:bang:

I happen to disagree, as you surely know.:msp_smile:

In my book, the money "saved" by buying saws like that isn't enough to make it a good choise - but each to their own....

That depends on the exact statements that are made - and it is getting all wrong when people
find it nesessary to "talk up" the lesser models, as if justifying their choise to themself and others. There is a lot of that going on here.....

There will be a 460 Rancher II and a 465 Rancher II as well - both 64cc, but different power rating.

Aren't you contradicting yourself?:confused2:

Alright, I'll be the one that solves this conundrum once and for all.

I hereby command the OP to go buy both saws, compare and contrast them, and then ship the cast off to me here in Iowa.

Honestly, I could care less about which saw some dude I've never met decides to spend his duckets on.:laugh:

Or when other people try to talk up thier more expensive models to justify the cost when they can cut just fine with a lesser cost saw...just like on the gun forums when people justify their 1k kimbers over a cheaper model ruger.

The kimber doesn't shoot $600 dollars better than the ruger does and the 290 isn't half the cutting speed as a 362...even though the price is almost double! They all work.

If you need the weight savings or better balance of a pro saw like if you have a health issue, then it is very justified. Or you need a pro saw cause otherwise you'd be slingin a pig around all day then that is good too.

I think most people who like this site will find a few pro built saws in their future anyway!

Plus...get a heavy homeowner saw and skip the gym visit...at least on the upper body workout day:hmm3grin2orange:

Or when other people try to talk up thier more expensive models to justify the cost when they can cut just fine with a lesser cost saw...just like on the gun forums when people justify their 1k kimbers over a cheaper model ruger.

The kimber doesn't shoot $600 dollars better than the ruger does and the 290 isn't half the cutting speed as a 362...even though the price is almost double! They all work.

If you need the weight savings or better balance of a pro saw like if you have a health issue, then it is very justified. Or you need a pro saw cause otherwise you'd be slingin a pig around all day then that is good too.

I think most people who like this site will find a few pro built saws in their future anyway!

Plus...get a heavy homeowner saw and skip the gym visit...at least on the upper body workout day:hmm3grin2orange:

Maybe that's the problem some people need to get outside and actually use a chain saw and get some exercise instead of talking about something they have never used before ?

I'm sure you will get a plethora of opinions on here, but my preference would be the husky 455 over the ms290.

Of the 290's and 455 I have run 2(290's) 1 455 all in great shape. All with 20" bar, the 455 felt better and was quicker in the cut, however, if you have 20" wood to cut you might wish you had a bigger saw. The next size saws i have experience with are 357xp, 362spec xp, and 365........ All will do quite well with a 20" bar, the 357 not so much with hard wood, the 362 special is a sweet saw, but has been replaced by the 562, which people say is even more remarkable.

I am not a Still or Husky guy, its just that there are more saws of that size around that are huskies.

Wow! What a bunch of bull####. I have about a dozen saws, from a homelite 10" xl top handle to a Stihl 066 36" bar and in between my son has two stihl 031avs and an 045. He prefers Stihl. I have Husky 50 since 1984, still my favorite, and a 51, a 1978 Husky 61 and a 1997 Husky 61, and my grandson has a poulan. We all choose the saw for the job by what feels good to us. They all cut. I keep them all tuned and sharp. I have new crank and bearings in the 066, and have an 55 husky to go thru in the near future. Parts are avialable online, and I prefer saws I can rebuild myself. My nephew bought a new Husky 460 about the same time my neighbor bought a 455. I was impressed with the 460 in 20 inch pine, but still prefer my older saws for handling. Get what feels good to you, and what you can afford, then keep it clean and blowed out when you are done cutting, and use fresh Non ethanol gas and good two stroke mix in it. If you cant do that, owell, its your money. Good luck.

It would seem your mastery of the English language and humor are on par with your knowledge of chainsaws.

Brilliant doesn't come to mind.......

Come back later and be polite.

or we could learn to forgive and move on, i have realized my mistakes, said sorry so how about we all try to get along

in the future i will keep my opinion about stihl to myself

or we could learn to forgive and move on, i have realized my mistakes, said sorry so how about we all try to get along

in the future i will keep my opinion about stihl to myself

And I better be more polite or you'll never let me visit NZ!!!!

I don't really mean to be an a$$.

Just comes out that way.

I should say welcome.

From an Ol Phart......

Back