Stihl Flippy Cap solution

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's stihl a crap design, doesn't matter how you look at it. Doesn't matter how much you clean around the caps you're gonna get crap in around the oring and the boring will eventually give up the ghost. The simple solution would have been to go back to the treaded caps of a slightly different design then the original ones. Husqy sure had the right idea and stihl took a left turn, ran past the road closed sign and off the bridge.

It's stihl a crap design, doesn't matter how you look at it. Doesn't matter how much you clean around the caps you're gonna get crap in around the oring and the boring will eventually give up the ghost. The simple solution would have been to go back to the treaded caps of a slightly different design then the original ones. Husqy sure had the right idea and stihl took a left turn, ran past the road closed sign and off the bridge.
Did Husqvarna just switch to flip-caps on the new 562XP Mark-II ?

1710420667950.png

Yes, yes they did!!!
1710420865259.png 1710420888154.png

Seems they're a bit date-challenged, but whatever.
1710421108186.png

Well I guess you could call that a flippy cap but it ain’t nothing like the over complicated Stihl flippy caps. I have operated some stuff with the Stihl flippy caps I supposed after you get used to it they ain’t so bad but I highly prefer a cap like Husqvarna uses, the flip up part makes a nice easy to use handle. No matter what type of cap you have it’s always a good idea to clean around the cap before removing it to help prevent dirt from getting inside.

I’ve got a Husky 465 that’s at least ten years old with flip caps. Much better design than the Stihl. I have to clean my Stihls every time I fill up. And raise your hand if you’ve never over filled your oil or gas tank. Every time for me almost. Just a little more…little bit more…oops!

I've got a 250 that's probably 20 some years old and a 362 that's 13 years old, I've broken one cap in all those years. The only time it's hard to get the oil cap on is if you over fill it. I think they are easier then echo or husky that I have to screw several turns.

Flippies may take just a bit more concentration to putting them back on but I really liked them when I bought my first new MS440, been running them on all the MS Stihl`s I bought after 95, have yet to spill oil or gas on me. Have yet to wear one out, not sure how long that would take.

Does anyone read the manual and line up the marks when they install the cap?
I know, it should not take any effort. But why am i not replacing them daily? The clean ones keep working.
And yes, you should always clean around ANY cap before opening. Bet that is even in the the other brands manual too.
Love or hate em. Personal preference.

Let the maters fly. Keeps me limber.:happybanana:

Does anyone read the manual and line up the marks when they install the cap?
I know, it should not take any effort. But why am i not replacing them daily? The clean ones keep working.
And yes, you should always clean around ANY cap before opening. Bet that is even in the the other brands manual too.
Love or hate em. Personal preference.

Let the maters fly. Keeps me limber.:happybanana:
Mine usually break when a helper touches them!

I haven't had one physically break, but replaced plenty of o rings and replaced them for not sealing even with a new o ring. Almost like the plastic wore out or something. Hasn't been on any newer saws though.

I only had one issue with mine, on my MS460 I was wanting to skid a few more trees, and I forgot to push down and twist after refilling the oil, and as i was walking over to limb the logs I looked down and, seen oil all over my chaps and the ground, so I had to refill again LOL

Latest posts

Back