Stihl Getting Ripped Off In Australia...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No dealer is making 60% profit on almost anything, whole goods you're lucky to make 20%.

Maybe if we made the sort of money everyone thinks we make, I wouldn't be driving a 13 year old truck.

I'm referring to many Australian Stihl dealers though mate, not all of them, but certainly most of them - the US seems to be far more competitive.

I bought a fuel line for a BG 85 from a dealer in the city $25.00, bought another fuel line for MS 230 from a dealer in the country $8.00, both fuel lines looked similar. There's some huge profits being made by some Stihl dealers here.

There are some similar issues here

Our Saskatchewan Gasoline gets sent to N.Dak, and it's retailed cheaper than it is up here by 20%.. How is that fair?

on another thought:
Can you not get someone on AS, to get you a new saw, tear it down and ship it in pieces marked as a pile of saw parts?

that way it is NOT a manufactured item

on another thought:
Can you not get someone on AS, to get you a new saw, tear it down and ship it in pieces marked as a pile of saw parts?

that way it is NOT a manufactured item

Yeah that is easy. Best way though is to just get somebody to mark the saw value down to below AUD$1000 so that way it doesn't get flagged through Customs. If it does get flagged you're up for another few hundred bucks and weeks of messing around.

Don't feel to bad, just 600 miles off the US coast, 200t's are $1400US equivalent!
Chains for my 361 are over $30 and I once was quoted $130 for a new air filter cover for my 260pro...I brought one in from the States for like $35 landed.

Our duty tarriff here is 22%, payable up front by the dealers even before it hits the shop.

I've bought my last 3 saws from the US, paid duty and shipping and still came in way less. 260pro $1200 here, got it in landed for $700.

BTW...I will be in Tassie towards the end of the year...reading all this gets me thinking about shipping a couple of my old saws down there to at least have something to work with when I get there! Anybody have any tips about cleaning/preparing used saws so they can be shipped abroad??

Don't feel to bad, just 600 miles off the US coast, 200t's are $1400US equivalent!
Chains for my 361 are over $30 and I once was quoted $130 for a new air filter cover for my 260pro...I brought one in from the States for like $35 landed.

Our duty tarriff here is 22%, payable up front by the dealers even before it hits the shop.

I've bought my last 3 saws from the US, paid duty and shipping and still came in way less. 260pro $1200 here, got it in landed for $700.

BTW...I will be in Tassie towards the end of the year...reading all this gets me thinking about shipping a couple of my old saws down there to at least have something to work with when I get there! Anybody have any tips about cleaning/preparing used saws so they can be shipped abroad??

Enjoy your trip as Tassie is a beautiful State.
It is usually a high rain fall time of year though.

Are you doing tree work in Tassie mate? You'll love it there. I'll be there at the end of August and the first 2 weeks of September. Main thing is no bark or woodchips on saw but definately no fuel or oil which I'm sure you're aware of.
I'll be knocking a fair few trees down myself :cheers:

I'll be there by October...staying till at least March, transitioning to living there, I'll be scoping the tree work scene more this time, see what available to do. Based in Ross, so kinda in the 'middle east'. Been there before already several times, really like it.

I reckon I'll strip the saws down as much as possible clean them out and label them 'Parts' less likely to cause a kerfuffle at customs...

I'll be there by October...staying till at least March, transitioning to living there, I'll be scoping the tree work scene more this time, see what available to do. Based in Ross, so kinda in the 'middle east'. Been there before already several times, really like it.

I reckon I'll strip the saws down as much as possible clean them out and label them 'Parts' less likely to cause a kerfuffle at customs...

I love that place mate. If I could move to one spot it would be there. My best mate lives at Huonville, SE of Hobart. Unfortunately a well paying job and being also involved in a chainsaw and family business means no move. I know where Ross is, have passed through there a couple of times.
For now ;)

You must have bee to Tahune Airwalk then...:jawdrop: Been twice, seen the tree they cut down near the first platform, its on youtube...amazing!!

You must have bee to Tahune Airwalk then...:jawdrop: Been twice, seen the tree they cut down near the first platform, its on youtube...amazing!!

Yeah I have been there mate and thought whoever got up those trees to trim them is a legend. Have you got the Youtube link mate? I'll be watching it 20 times I think :cheers:
They've got some big trees down there. Second tallest tree in the world was found there about a year or two ago and they didn't even realise it was within a few km of the Airwalk.

Found them :D Pays to remember that the actual "airwalk" platform is already about 100' off the ground from memory...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gFyVJFIohkI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gFyVJFIohkI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3v8DIF02bDo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3v8DIF02bDo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y6hEfav9ZwI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y6hEfav9ZwI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back