Stihl HD2 filters breaking...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCW

Somebody's talking crap here & it ain't the tree!
Reaction score
Hi gents.
Hey just a quick one but was talking to a full time firewood cutter I know the other day and he has had the bases break on four HD2 filters in the last 12 months.
From what he tells me the epoxy is letting go between the filter element and base. He is running MS460's and MS660's.
I've heard of this happening before on the Dolmar HD filters and even had it happen once on one of my own 7900's.
Just wondering if anybody else has heard of this happening around the place? This is the first time I've heard of HD2 filters having any problems at all.
This guy puts a lot of hours on his saws and all in dead hardwoods.

I haven't heard or seen a problem yet. Is this fella complaining a bout stripped or broken cover nuts. They don't have to be very tight for a good seal

I'm inexperienced, but it seems to me that there may be some user/part interface problem. What I mean is that if the HD2 is mounted properly in compression, how can it possibly fall apart? Repeated removal and installation for cleaning?

I haven't heard or seen a problem yet. Is this fella complaining a bout stripped or broken cover nuts. They don't have to be very tight for a good seal

No not the thread or nuts at all. This is actually the epoxy cracking/breaking between the paper filter element and the plastic base.

I'm inexperienced, but it seems to me that there may be some user/part interface problem. What I mean is that if the HD2 is mounted properly in compression, how can it possibly fall apart? Repeated removal and installation for cleaning?

My guess is that it is simply from the filters being removed, cleaned, and reinstalled a hell of a lot. This guy is cutting a lot of wood and it is all dusty, dead Australian hardwood. Full time firewood cutters in our timber always seem to expose potential saw problems before most others. This guy is a good and very smart operator - a far cry from the average toothless firewood hillbillies that we tend to see in Australia :)

Skippyktm already made a similar thread on this months ago. Apparently logging customers of his had HD2 filter coming apart after a couple months. I haven't seen it here yet but we're having problems with them plugging up with fine, impacted sawdust that's very hard to clean out.

Latest posts

Back