Stihl HT 101 Pole saw review- Do you have one?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeeVee

East Coast Champion
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Looking at a used on on FB Marketplace 300 bucks- has flippy cap. I don't know much about them such as age of this model or reliability, power, original retail cost. Any help would be appreciated.

Have one bought used. Only used it for a short duration, seems to work fine. Starts easily no issues, obviously doesn't extend only 7.5' I believe.

I have one that also comes in handy when I cut small trees/brush down the creek banks that borders the place.

...as an aside if you don't cut the brush it hands down into the water catches flotsam and eventually restricts the flow of water, and that can be a problem.

I absolutely detest the flippy cap.

Since you said any thing that might help. I bought the 131 model perhaps 10 years ago. I believe it is the larger displacement one and extendable. Starts easy and the only problems are with the shaft really not being up to the torque. It is a 4 mix design that seems more annoying fumes than one would expect. I paid $600 which the guy offered me at the time which was somewhat less than list. My guess is the 101 is a smaller bore of the same thing non extendable. These things have an intresting sprocket that has a round hole in the middle and friction from the sides to allow a bit of slip. At least that is what I think it is. Cuts quite smooth. At some point they went to the mini 1/4 pitch chain, perhaps 71 in Stihl code. Mine is 3/8 0.043 or 61pmm3 which has small enough cutters as it is. Not sure what is the big concern with flippy caps, they did send me a recall notice, not sure if it was for the gasoline one or both of them. Never took it in and they work fine just have to pay attention to putting them on and attempt to wiggle it in the case you did it wrong. Just take a black marker and mark the open spot better if it is an issue. Of course used could be overused or hardly used. At this point in time I would consider going for the biggest possible gasoline one or battery.

I've owned an HT131 same as yours except a more powerful engine. Its been a great saw overall. Their weak point is the shaft but just be careful with it as most of us would anyhow and it will serve you well for many years. $300 is a steal for one in decent shape.

I've used an Echo gas pole as well and they are very good units. Their shaft is more robust than Stihl but not as powerful.

I have to wonder why Stihl installed a .043" gauge bar and chain. Many commerical tree service companies that buy Stihl pole trimmers immediately change that to the typical .050" gauge that matches their top handle saws.

Stihl has been playing that game for many years. They come out with a popular saw, then they stick a bizarre chain size on it so as to keep all their customers visiting the Stihl dealership rather than the local hardware store. After a while, Oregon and the other chain manufacturers begin making the same chain, and then the cycle repeats.

I'm fairly certain that Stihl came out with .325 chain first, and after a while they upped the guage. Nobody else had .63 gauge links for a long time. While the .43 gauge chain might cut a pinch faster, it also wears out a lot faster. So... More money headed to $tihl.

Back