Stihl HT 131 New Generation Pole Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The main differnces to the older version are:

HT 102, 103, 132, 133 use the newer updated 4-Mix engine that is also used on the FS 89, 91, 111, 131 etc. models (introduced 2016) . Also the newer updated gearhead (introduced 2016) is used on the HT 102, 103, 132, 133 models.

The main differnces to the older version are:

HT 102, 103, 132, 133 use the newer updated 4-Mix engine that is also used on the FS 89, 91, 111, 131 etc. models (introduced 2016) . Also the newer updated gearhead (introduced 2016) is used on the HT 102, 103, 132, 133 models.

I have to disagree with you on this. They are completely different.
Engines have some bolt on changes. Some not good. Like the overkill rubegoldberg throttle control. They couldn't make it more complicated if the tried and there was -0- reason for it. Internally engines are almost exact. That the only similarity.

Engines have some bolt on changes. Some not good. Like the overkill rubegoldberg throttle control. They couldn't make it more complicated if the tried and there was -0- reason for it. Internally engines are almost exact. That the only similarity.
Those handle controls and throttle wires are fun if you dont do them a lot.

OK, I didn`t know that. I`m sorry for the misinformation.

I have been hearing this for a while - thanks for confirming.

What problems????
Things I have heard:
- shaft locking collar not holding up;
- lighter weight (more plastic) saw head;
- folks not liking to cut on 'the other side'.

I like the stiffer, inner shaft. Starting is different, but can get used to that. You can put either length / pitch bars and chains on either one, if you have a preference, or just to keep them all the same if you have multiples.

Philbert

I have been hearing this for a while - thanks for confirming.

Things I have heard:
- shaft locking collar not holding up;
- lighter weight (more plastic) saw head;
- folks not liking to cut on 'the other side'.

I like the stiffer, inner shaft. Starting is different, but can get used to that. You can put either length / pitch bars and chains on either one, if you have a preference, or just to keep them all the same if you have multiples.

Philbert

Not that they didn't hold up. They sometimes became tight. Replace them, or what I do is remove two wafers.
More plastic = lighter weight, Which is usually preferred. But not in this case.
Maybe a new US only version will be cast iron. LOL
The bar on the other side improves the balance of the tool.

Not that they didn't hold up. They sometimes became tight. Replace them, or what I do is remove two wafers.
More plastic = lighter weight, Which is usually preferred. But not in this case.
Maybe a new US only version will be cast iron. LOL
The bar on the other side improves the balance of the tool.
How do you rate the 1/4 chain and bar? I have it and find the smaller chain cuts great,flys off a lot in brush and the bar bends!

I rate it F-. Most people hate it. It's doesn't make any sense. The engine can push picco no problem.
Its like putting Picco on a MS880.

If you need a super fine cut on a prissy ornamental, maybe. But that's about 1% of the actual users.

How do you rate the 1/4 chain and bar? I have it and find the smaller chain cuts great,flys off a lot in brush and the bar bends!
Replaced many of these with the 12" bar and Picco chains, mostly to keep 1 bar and chain spec for all the pole saws. Need to swap out the drive sprocket.

Philbert

That's part of the complaint. Another chain pitch to keep track of.
You don't have to change the sprocket to go from 1/4 to 3/8?

power head, just the plastic body cracked and smashed, still runs.

Too bad they changed the pole to a more square pole as opposed to the original round pole. Now I have to buy new attachment heads to conform to the square head.

You DO have to change the sprocket to go from 1/4 to 3/8.

Now that I read it again, it makes sense. Thank you for pointing that out.
I was waiting for a response from philbert, but he was probably just thinking "What a dumb azz" LOL

Now that I read it again, it makes sense. Thank you for pointing that out.
I was waiting for a response from philbert, but he was probably just thinking "What a dumb azz" LOL
I doubt Philbert was thinking that folks have to learn and so others with more experience just try to help. Its the ones who argue against experience that tend to be the "dumb azz".

Latest posts

Back