Pole Saw Decision Time

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd W

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
We live in the forest, and have many pines that I want to limb up as high as I can reach from the ground, 15' maybe 20'. What we've done in the past is when a buddy has time we use my tractor with a bucket/cage and lift as high as we can and use the chainsaw... this gets us maybe 12'-14' depending on the location of tree, and if the ground is flat. I've debated constructing a new cage with a 4-8' lift on it so we can get to 15' pretty easily, however if I was going to do that I'd probably want to add a hydraulic swivel so I could pivot him side to side, and, well, now we are talking a couple hundred more bucks for more steel, the hydraulic cylinder, and more hours of welding, and fab work...

So, I decided it may be best to just drop the $ on a quality pole-saw :clap:

I want one that can get out there and reach... but also won't need adjusting every few hours.

It seems like these are popular choices:
Stihl HT 131
PPT-280

And these less popular...
327P5x
327PT5S

I've read threads where people are are LOVING the HT131 and others where they HATE IT and the 4 stroke causes a lot of issues, and moving parts need replacing in the poles, etc..

The husky 327p5x I quickly checked out at the local shop, but seemed a bit under powered.

Mostly what I`m doing is softwoods/pine so I`m not sure if I NEED more power and weight.
It's not that I wouldn't use it on hardwood but the limited oaks we have are all very tall and don't have limbs until they get above/near top of the pines which is out of reach anyway.

I have an HT101 and love it. Had it for years with no issues. Starts right up after months of sitting.

Love my Ht 131. Never a problem.

I cut a 12" tree one day to show my buddy how strong it is.

He was impressed.

I have a HT131 not sure why I waited so long to buy one. Works great.

I would caution you though being in a tractor bucket with it could be sketchy and possibly pull you out of it while cutting.

Last edited:
I love my Ht 131, It is a tad heavy but this thing runs, it cuts very well, Highly suggest it, I had borrowed my buddies and I knew I had to have my own.

I have a ht131 not sure why I waited so long to buy one. Works great.

I would cuation you though being in a tractor bucket with it could be sketchy and puppetry out of it while cutting.

Def. not cutting out of a bucket with a pole saw.

Thanks for the info guys!

So Todd,
Why do you want to limb up 20'!? I use my HT KM 130 to limb pine and cedar up to about 10' to clear my tractor, yet still look like a "woods". It's also about 25% lighter than the HT131.

C8449543-4982-4AA9-92C5-A33FF7444A83-4956-000004D4F57D1E4C.jpg

[video=youtube_share;HzTlSF7B-ek]http://youtu.be/HzTlSF7B-ek[/video]

I bought the stihl ht131 perhaps a year and a half ago. The new ones have a bit different scabbord and I am pretty sure mine had the bumper tie straps instead of what they have now. The kind of chain that folks hate are best for these things as all the twist in the drive can make them not cut too smooth. It is pretty impressive but has some limitations and design defects. Lately I got a non extendable efco 27cc one which is more pleasurable for the majority of what I use these things for.

First off there is a danger that the as you cut through the branch the end of the device goes below the branch and then the branch slides down right at you. The manual doesn't want you to go at more than a 60 degree angle.

The problems with the stihl are it is too long in the short position.
Pretty heavy and tires you out but pulling the branches if you do that as well as cut is more work.

It is clean air for breathing but the sawdust raining down is more of an issue kind of a joke of sorts.

I have a platform on the three point hitch of the tractor to cut off of or stand on top of the rear tire which are set out past what little fender there is. Due to the length and the various ways I have devised to transport it on the tractor I am afraid I will kind of brake it's neck by accident.

I have yet to have the two side by side and with the same chain as they are in different locations at this time. I don't use the pivoting feature of the efco one. That feature though does offset the chain from the shaft more which can be nice or not nice.

When using not fully extended it tends to extend itself unless you use the top of the bar or keep the work jammed against the cutting attachment.

It has a little foot/branch puller which snags and makes it hard to get back a lot of the time though this could be modified. The efco one is wonderfully designed to provide a spot for the branch to jam against and still pull out easily.

It vibrates a lot. I even wonder if it is designed like the ryobi four stroke trimmers of years ago with a single sided crankshaft.

The worst defect is that the cutting part is slowly twisting relative to the power head part. I tried to take it apart and figure out what was going on, stuck a few shims in hoping to lessen the creeping longer but think the problem might be under the rubber in the middle of the shaft where a kind of bump is.

Last edited:
A few hrs using my HT 131 is all the shoulder workout I need for a month. I use mine a lot, and have accidentally dropped lots of big limbs on the pole with no problems. Mine has worn out a few parts, but easily replaced. I recommend it highly

It does vibrate a lot, but I think it's the spline shaft and it's connections, and not the engine itself. I have not used the HT 101, but enjoy the torque of the 131

Last edited:
HT131...Best saw hands down. We use them in line clearance storm work...gets us farther out of the DANGER ZONE. We have an older 2 stroke model but the new 4 mix saws have way more tourqe and cut better.

You develope a technique in using one to make it work for you and it not working you. If you have a lot of camopy raising to to this will make short work of it....hope your not the groundie too....you'll be busy.

I know I may be partial since all I have used are Stihls but we have had good luck with them. There tough and reliable. Others may be as good but I have never used anything else.

once you have one you'll wonder how you ever got along with out one. When your finished using it resell it...they hold there value well it there not broken up.

Good luck in your choice.

never owned a pole saw, but my 110 4 mix motor has been flawless. Some people love em, some hate em. They are like mini tractor engines. Total grunters. Also the easiest starting piece of equipment I have ever owned. Don't expect zippy revs, but they sure work nice.

I have both a Stihl HT101 and a Marvin manual pruner/pole saw. I use both and they both serve a different purpose.
I recommend both of them and either would work for what you are doing.

Not sure I understand why you want to trim the tree branches up so high. Most pines drop a row of branches every year anyway. What are you trying to accomplish?

I have owned a Stihl HT 75 for several years. I love the lighter weight than the new four stroke units.

Two warnings- always make an undercut on any limb more than an inch or so. If you don't, limbs much larger than than will barberchair as you cut through and pinch the bar. A pinched bar 15' up is no fun. The second warning is that you can drop more in 15 minutes than you can pick up in half a day.

I love pole saws have both the Stihls, the heavy one is way better in my hills. However, everytime I use them I get sawdust in my shirt and eyes, limbs piercing my head, sore arms for a week and bent poles once or twice a year. Still use the pole saws but more often than not I prune at ground level now!

Latest posts

Back