Pole Saw Decision

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmateurSawer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I want to get a pole saw to trim branches around my hayfields, pastures, lawn etc. I probably won't use it but every year or two. I'm thinking a battery unit will sit idle better than a gas model.
Biggest limbs I will cut are 4" or less.
I don't want to go "cheap" but don't need a professional model.
I prefer an automatic oiler.
Might want to get a blower for grass clippings etc to go along with it using the same batteries but that's not a must.
I see 20V, 40V models among others. Isn't amperage more important for power?
Thanks for your replies

I'll provide my insight based on the one I have been using for the last 5 years or so... It is the Ryobi 18V with a screw on extension. Out of the box it is 9.5' long with the extension installed and has an 8" bar. The one I have has an oiler but I see they make one now without, too. I am already deep into the Ryobi One+ ecosystem so wanted to get something that uses the same batteries. I probably pull it out a couple times a year and it does everything I ask it to. It has a bit slower cutting speed but since I'm not using it daily I really don't care if it takes me a few seconds more per branch. It is definitely a torquey little sucker and I have cut 4" branches many times, including today cleaning up some damaged maple branches. Recently I purchased an additional used one so I could put another extension in and have ~12' or so which I used today as well. The 18v model has the motor at the bar so the extensions act as electrical connectors too, but no physical rotating bits... It is pretty solid with the stock 3 sections. With the fourth added it flexes a bit more but worked fine. I may add something for rigidity in that configuration, though.

I have been tempted by the 12' Stihl but really can't justify the purchase when this little unit has exceeded my expectations.

I'll also add that the higher amp-hour batteries work better for the yard equipment I have - pole saw, line trimmer, hedge trimmer, blower. I think the smaller batteries have a current limit. I mainly use the 4ah but have a couple 9ah too. The smaller ones range from 1.3 - 2ah iirc.

I bought the Milwaukee pole saw, I love it and sounds like it would suit your needs. I also bought their blower to go along with my echo 9010 backpack. I grab the Milwaukee a lot for quick cleaning of the garage and porch. The 9010 gets the fall duty though.

I bought a Husqvarna pole saw with the upgraded battery, one battery charge trims 60 foot of hedge a few times with ease, I have used it with the pole saw attachment to cut low level branches when I work Stump Grinding and a customer want's a bit of trimming done, it has been a good investment.

I'll provide my insight based on the one I have been using for the last 5 years or so... It is the Ryobi 18V with a screw on extension. Out of the box it is 9.5' long with the extension installed and has an 8" bar. The one I have has an oiler but I see they make one now without, too. I am already deep into the Ryobi One+ ecosystem so wanted to get something that uses the same batteries. I probably pull it out a couple times a year and it does everything I ask it to. It has a bit slower cutting speed but since I'm not using it daily I really don't care if it takes me a few seconds more per branch. It is definitely a torquey little sucker and I have cut 4" branches many times, including today cleaning up some damaged maple branches. Recently I purchased an additional used one so I could put another extension in and have ~12' or so which I used today as well. The 18v model has the motor at the bar so the extensions act as electrical connectors too, but no physical rotating bits... It is pretty solid with the stock 3 sections. With the fourth added it flexes a bit more but worked fine. I may add something for rigidity in that configuration, though.

I have been tempted by the 12' Stihl but really can't justify the purchase when this little unit has exceeded my expectations.
I like the Ryobi as well. Mine is a shorter one at only 6'. Use it mostly for clearing horse trails in our woods, but I really like it for bucking up smaller limbs (up to 8") for fire wood - no bending over - and marking bigger logs for bucking with a bigger saw.

I bought the Milwaukee pole saw, I love it and sounds like it would suit your needs. I also bought their blower to go along with my echo 9010 backpack. I grab the Milwaukee a lot for quick cleaning of the garage and porch. The 9010 gets the fall duty though.
Does your M18 pole saw oil ok? Mine seems to push very little oil,
I find even with 8AH batteries it runs very slow.

Love it for the weed whacker attachment though

I bought dewalt because that's what all my tools are.

I've been surprised at how kick ass it is. Oiler works good, battery life is really astonishing and it does the job well. A little bendy if all three extensions are connected, but after say a legit 50 hours using it I'd buy it again with no problem.

Hedge trimmer attachment works good too....sold my Stihl pole saw and hedge trimmer it was so good.

I also bought the larger dewalt electric blower for the wife to do the deck / around pool. It's not a BR600 but I use it all the time on odd ball things. Bonfire stoking is my favorite.

A little bendy if all three extensions are connected
The DeWalt looks like a nice unit. My Ryobi isn't too bad with three unless you really put some downward pressure on it to dig into a branch... I recently bought an extra used unit to get another extension. The total length is now ~12' and has already come in handy. Boy, that extra extension really makes the the whole thing flex quite a bit more! I'm going to get some PVC and make some "collars" for the three joints... Hopefully it helps although it is useable as-is...

Havn't been all that happy with the current M18 pole saw oiling or chain speed.
This looks heavy and awkward, but hopefully won;t be too bad and will run better.
That 12AH battery might be needed for balancing all that weight?

Havn't been all that happy with the current M18 pole saw oiling or chain speed.
This looks heavy and awkward, but hopefully won;t be too bad and will run better.
That 12AH battery might be needed for balancing all that weight?
Good point. I noticed an improvement in balance when I use a 9ah vs 4ah on my Ryobi. Chain speed is more consistent too...

Because I'm inherently cheap and the local HF store is pretty close, I use the Bauer 20 volt Li-Ion battery powered tools (never had a failure yet). Hf has their Bauer 20 volt pole saw on sale this week for 69 bucks (tool only) and I'm gonna buy one and it has an automatic (adjustable) oiler as well. Gonna buy their Bauer 20 volt right angle close quarters drill as well. reviews are all good and it's cheap compared to the brand names as well. Their batteries are inexpensive (compared to the name brands) as well and they just came out with an 8AH battery as well.

My issue with the name brands (DeWalt, Milwaukee and Ryobi to a lesser extent is, they are all made in China and in the case of Milwaukee and DeWalt, in the same factory. ight as well buy the HF stuff for much less and we all know where it's made at anyway... China....lol

My issue with the name brands (DeWalt, Milwaukee and Ryobi to a lesser extent is, they are all made in China and in the case of Milwaukee and DeWalt, in the same factory. ight as well buy the HF stuff for much less and we all know where it's made at anyway... China....lol
A few years back I copied this graphic which shows Ryobi/Milwaukee under the same umbrella, but DeWalt is in the Stanley conglomerate. Still made in China, but I wouldn't think the same factory. Maybe things have changed though?

Screenshot_20230809-135724.png

I kind of go with what Torque Test Channel on YT says and while that don't apply to pole saws, they do tell where various brands are built and the common denominator seems to be China.

Not really prudent to me as like I said, I'm cheap so it's HF for me. For 69 bucks for a 20 volt Bauer pole saw with adjustable oiler, that is a no brainer for me. Besides , I have a load of 20 volt HF batteries.

Harbor Freight has a corded pole saw with nearly 13k reviews and 4.5 stars. I considered going that route. Not a fan of cheap tools, but a LOT of people seem to like it.

https://www.harborfreight.com/65-amp-95-in-electric-pole-saw-56808.html
In the end, I ponied up the extra for Milwaukee. I've never once regretted buying the higher quality tool, but have regretted cheaping out plenty of times. Have also cheaped out, had the cheap tool blow up, and still had to buy the good tool anyway - costs more in the end than just buying the good tool to start with. Now I fork over the $$ and be done. In a year I won't remember what the tool cost, but I'll probably still be swearing at the cheap tool.

I also have the one in the picture and it has 2 distinct disadvantages. One, t's corded so if I use it I have to have the Inverter Genny in the back of the side by side and an extension cord and more importantly, the bar oil tank holds a tiny amount and is hard to refill. It does have an Oregon lo pro chain and Oregon bar on it. I have no failures with it, just inconvenient as hell. The Bauer has a lot larger bar oil tank and no cord. As an aside, I've been through at least 3 DeWalt hammer drills, they all seem to expire after a fashion so I now buy the Bauer. if it expires (none have yet) the price versus the DeWalt don't pain me that much. Like a chain saw, the chain has to be kept sharp or like a chain saw, they just make sawdust.

Latest posts

Back