Pole Saw Decision

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unboxed it (pole saw) this afternoon and assembled it. Had to put the chain on the bar and put the bar on the saw and fill the bar pol tank (Which holds 2 times what the corded Portland holds). Like the Portland is comes with an Oregon greaseable roller nose bar (I like greaseable roller nose bars).

In fact all my saws (echo and Stihl) have greaseable noses. I have a nice little grease gun wit the tapered needle tip and I keep it filled with very expensive 45 bucks a tube, synthetic grease that is specially formulated for high speed bearings.

It only comes with one loop and it's lo pro reduced kickback with the second raker, but I just ordered a second one from Amazon. I always have at least 2 loops for all the saws, that way, when one gets dull (as in making sawdust or the heel of the tooth starts building pitch, I can change it out for a sharp chain.

Slapped a 3AH HF Bauer battery in the handle but it started to rain so using it will have to wait until tomorrow.

The chain adjustment is 100 % conventional with the adjusting screw left of the bar. The big knob on the outside cover adjusts nothing, it just secures the bar and chain and I'm 100% good with that and it is very light and well balanced too. The pole part looks to be either fiberglass or structural fiber, don't know which. For 60 bucks, it's worth it but time will tell how much grunt it has and how fast it eats the batteries.

60 bucks is the tool only price, no batteries or charger but I already have that as all my infrequent use tools are all Bauer now. I have 7 now and I've never had a failure on any of them.

Additionally, HF lists in the owners manual, both the Oregon catalog number for the bar and the chain.

I want to get a pole saw to trim branches around my hayfields, pastures, lawn etc. I probably won't use it but every year or two. I'm thinking a battery unit will sit idle better than a gas model.
Biggest limbs I will cut are 4" or less.
I don't want to go "cheap" but don't need a professional model.
I prefer an automatic oiler.
Might want to get a blower for grass clippings etc to go along with it using the same batteries but that's not a must.
I see 20V, 40V models among others. Isn't amperage more important for power?
Thanks for your replies

With infrequent use and lots of sitting parked, the only tool that makes sense is a premium quality pole saw. HAND saw, that is. No motors, just a little elbow grease. Furthermore, you can reach much higher branches than any powered saw you can buy.

You will get year after year of swift, easy cutting, and it will work every single time you pick it up. 4" branches are no big deal to a quality pruning saw.

Now I'd recommend a Silky pole saw, but they have discontinued selling them in the USA. Too many electrocutions by folks that should know better. Couple that with too many lawyers, and you cannot buy them anymore.

Harbor Freight has a corded pole saw with nearly 13k reviews and 4.5 stars. I considered going that route. Not a fan of cheap tools, but a LOT of people seem to like it.

https://www.harborfreight.com/65-amp-95-in-electric-pole-saw-56808.html
In the end, I ponied up the extra for Milwaukee. I've never once regretted buying the higher quality tool, but have regretted cheaping out plenty of times. Have also cheaped out, had the cheap tool blow up, and still had to buy the good tool anyway - costs more in the end than just buying the good tool to start with. Now I fork over the $$ and be done. In a year I won't remember what the tool cost, but I'll probably still be swearing at the cheap tool.

Yep. fully electric is far more reliable than any battery operated tool. At least in the long run.

Yep. fully electric is far more reliable than any battery operated tool. At least in the long run.
I don't know about this. The oiling of the chain ceasing is going to be up there in the top tier of problems. With my Genuine Husqvarna I can order parts.IMG_20230813_100018.jpg

What about overload protection circuitry? I did shorten the above 36 volt device. Let it slip from the basket of a manlift lately.

I don't know about this. The oiling of the chain ceasing is going to be up there in the top tier of problems. With my Genuine Husqvarna I can order parts.View attachment 1104779

What about overload protection circuitry? I did shorten the above 36 volt device. Let it slip from the basket of a manlift lately.
With the current Husky unavailable parts issues, ordering them and getting them could be an issue

Back