Stihl HT 131 Pole Saw Carb Adjustment issue.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOE.G

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hi, I have a HT 131 Pole Saw, The manual says it should max out at 10,500 RPM, I checked it with my Tach and it is only getting to about 9,800 sometimes ten, If I hold it long enough it starts to cut out or break up like there is a rev limiter on it or something. I tried turning the H Speed screw and nothing happens Rpm's barley Change if at all. I can only turn them less then a full turn.

Hi, I have a HT 131 Pole Saw, The manual says it should max out at 10,500 RPM, I checked it with my Tach and it is only getting to about 9,800 sometimes ten, If I hold it long enough it starts to cut out or break up like there is a rev limiter on it or something. I tried turning the H Speed screw and nothing happens Rpm's barley Change if at all. I can only turn them less then a full turn.

It is rev limited so be careful tuning it as you will lean it out and not even know. It will turn 10500 without any string on it. Be very careful.

You Mean Chain? It is a Saw not a trimmer, So then how should I set this thing?

Clockwise is leaner and counter clockwise is richer correct? Is there a safe setting since I messed with it and since it has a limiter can't set it correctly?

Last edited:
Clockwise is leaner and counter clockwise is richer. Set high back to full rich stop (counter clockwise) on the H screw. The carb adjustment settings are dependent on which particular carb is installed, C1Q-SXXX. You need the spec number to determine your H and L settings.

I did turn it all the way clockwise ( As far as it would turn with the stops anyway ) and it ran bad, I then did turn it all the way rich Counter Clockwise and it did run better then lean. Is it worth bringing it to teh dealer to adjust? I don't want to ruin the saw it cost quite a bit. Or do you think I wouldn't notice much of a difference if I just turned it all the way rich? Thanks

I did turn it all the way clockwise ( As far as it would turn with the stops anyway ) and it ran bad, I then did turn it all the way rich Counter Clockwise and it did run better then lean. Is it worth bringing it to teh dealer to adjust? I don't want to ruin the saw it cost quite a bit. Or do you think I wouldn't notice much of a difference if I just turned it all the way rich? Thanks
sorry I missed the pole saw part just seen 131. If you feel that its not running correctly bring it dealer.

Richer is definitely safer than leaner - if it will run satisfactorily at the richest setting then I'd run it there, especially if you're unsure about it. Giving up a few hundred RPM is better than roasting the top end. You might have to lose the limiter caps to really get it dialed in well - and honestly if you're not comfortable with that I'd probably have it adjusted by a pro.

How do you adjust stuff that has a Ignition cut out?

Joe.g

Your saw not reaching peak rpm may indicate an ignition problem. In playing with my H screw on my HT KM130, it always hits the rev limiter no matter the setting. I just adjust by ear while in the wood. I would think that if you are too rich in a four mix engine, the exhaust valve, piston, and muffler may get sooted, and gummed up.

I took it to the dealer today, he adjusted it to a little over 10,000 Rpm, It is turned full rich against the Adjustment limiter. I wasn't to far off.

I may be wrong on the 131 here, but I know on the ht 75 the spec is quoted in some manuals as being measured without the bar head on. Presumably it also requres that your stick is straight.

Shaun

Stick as you call it is straight, I didn't read that in the Manual anywhere, If you can check that for me and let me know I would appreciate that. Thanks

I don't have a 131 manual. I have a couple versions of the ht75 manual. One version states that the adjustment is without the bar head mounted (bare stick). The other doesn't specify. You can probably get a manual in the beg for manuals thread if you don't have one already.

Shaun

The Only one I was able to get so far was in German, Can't make it out to well.

In there it doesn't mention it, But I wasn't sure if the service Manual was a little more detailed or not. In there it doesn't even mention RPM.

Latest posts

Back