Stihl HT101 Clutch Issue?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridger

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Went to use my pole pruner (HT101) for the first time this year and having issues with the chain turning. Clutch drum appears to be spinning ok on the motor side.

Took the chain and guide bar off and cleaned out all the oil/dust, all moving freely.

Took the shaft off and spun the shaft, all moved freely and turned the chain with ease.

Clutch looks a little warn on the outside of the shoes. I took them off to ensure nothing was seized, and put it all back together.

Started the motor and the chain began to spin as normal when revved up and I thought I was in the clear. Went back to not spinning and same as before.

I should also mention this saw does not have a lot of wear on it overall, even though it is probably 5 yrs old or so at least.

Any thoughts how to fix? I can post some photos if necessary.

Thanks!

What is a worn square?

When I took the shaft off the motor, nothing appeared to be worn.

the square on the end of the shaft, they munch their way down into the clutch bell, and poke through eventually

I separated the motor and left the housing attached to the shaft, and I can spin the clutch drum by hand which appears to turn the shaft and chain freely.

Was trying to rule out an issue in the shaft or gears.

I separated the motor and left the housing attached to the shaft, and I can spin the clutch drum by hand which appears to turn the shaft and chain freely.

I had one of these, that would do what u are describing. Black plastic drive shaft will slip inside of shaft. Remove motor turn clutch drum with your hand . I clamped chain in bench vise. To determine what or were it was slipping. Turn on it quite hard to test it. I hope this helps you.

We really need a little more information. Are you spinning the clutch drum with the tube extended or collapsed? Try it both ways. As short as it will go and as long as it will extend. There are two intrigual parts inside the shaft. An outer tube that is splined inside and an inner splined shaft. The outer is at the motor end and should not move once assembled. The inner moves (slides on the splines)in and out of the outer tube as the saw head is extended. At the motor end, there is a snap ring/circlip preventing the tube from leaving the clutch drum head. If it is damaged, it will allow the large outer tube to leave the clutch head and the chain will not move. Check that snap ring/circlip to see if it may be damaged. Page 24 part 19 link below.
There is also a small snap ring/circlip on the small inner splined shaft. Page 24 part 17 link below. Make sure it is not damaged. If damaged, it will NOT allow the shaft to extend by means of the large black bearing/support block. The result is the square drive at the gearbox end will put out and not turn the gear drive. All of this happens when the pole is extended but will work most of the time when it is collapsed.
Here is a manual link. It is free to look at online and available for download for $
https://chainsaw-workshop-manual.com/product/stihl-ht-101-parts-list-manual/On page 24, you are looking for damage to part 17 or part 19.
If you disassemble the tube, be sure you have enough room to lay all parts out as they come out of the outer tube. They all come out at the gearbox end with the exception of the drive TUBE which comes out of the motor end. They must go back in as they came out. Pay particular attention not to reverse by 180 any of the large plastic bearing holder/supports or put the two large springs in on the wrong side of the bearing holder/supports. The bearing/supports are keyed and will only go back into the tube one way. Use a good molly lube when assembling.
Hope this helps. Good luck and keep us posted on your findings.
:cool: OT
I failed to mention. All of the inner parts of the large hand held outer tube must move freely. If they won't, you will have problems. If any part of the large outer tube has a dent or damage it will prevent the black bearing/support blocks from sliding by way of the springs inside the tube as intended.

I would be real surprised if this were a clutch issue. Would be a first.
Go with the shaft suggestions. Also is this a sprocket with convex washers on it? The screw may loosen and then the sprocket will slip under load.

Hi folks!

Sorry for the delay and thanks to all the feedback. It must have been the head slipping out slightly... I pushed on the bar from thr bottom of the pole and the chain engaged again so all is well.

Seems like there is very little tolerance of it being engaged or slipping.

Latest posts

Back