Stihl HT101??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowroy

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have a guy bringing me a stihl HT101 pole saw and says the shaft is bent. I have called two dealers and both said I wanted nothing to do with taking the shaft apart, that it would be better to just buy the whole shaft assembly. Both dealers also said their mechanics had to go through a special class just to learn about disassembling the shafts. This is enough for me not to want to mess with it. My question is, will the shafts interchange from the other telescoping pole saws. such as an ht131 ect.? TIA!

First one I did went real easy, 2nd and third were nightmares, thereafter I took a lot of notes and pics and did fine. That nasty aluminum paste everywhere, a real mess and pain.

Especially hard when forced to work in a tiny workspace.

First one I did went real easy, 2nd and third were nightmares, thereafter I took a lot of notes and pics and did fine. That nasty aluminum paste everywhere, a real mess and pain.

Especially hard when forced to work in a tiny workspace.

Do you know if the other model shafts will interchange?

The Stihl dealer where I assist with Chainsaw back log work on some of my off days is also a rental center and the lead tech is pretty savy on swapping powerheads and what fits what.... but he is not in today. I will call him back tomorrow,,, unless you get a difinitive answer

The Stihl dealer where I assist with Chainsaw back log work on some of my off days is also a rental center and the lead tech is pretty savy on swapping powerheads and what fits what.... but he is not in today. I will call him back tomorrow,,, unless you get a difinitive answer

You are there for dibs on the junk pile!!!! Admit it!!!!!

I don't have MediaCat open right now but going from memory, yes the powerheads and gearheads will interchange.
As far as parts interchanging within the telescoping shaft assemblies, I'm not sure which ones will and which ones won't but I know a few of the parts are the same for both.
We always keep bent shaft assemblies to rob parts from.
I've fixed probably 2 dozen of those HT101/131 telescoping assemblies and you get the hang of it pretty quick. Just take pictures and notes so everything goes back together correctly. I didn't take a class on it either.
You'll be fine. Don't sweat it.

There are two different lower shaft assemblies and they are not interchangeable. I will give you the lowdown after dinner. Mrs is calling.

Subscribing, I have a ht75 that needs a shaft and a pile of shaft parts to get one good assembly out of. I was told all shafts can be interchanged as a complete unit, but not all parts are interchangeable between different shafts. Fact or fiction?

Subscribing, I have a ht75 that needs a shaft and a pile of shaft parts to get one good assembly out of. I was told all shafts can be interchanged as a complete unit, but not all parts are interchangeable between different shafts. Fact or fiction?

I don't know what all is different. But, they changed the drive shaft I suspect because it was braking where it goes in the clutch. You can still use the long shaft because the splines are the same. But, you have to cut it's length to match the sleeve type drive.

OK, here is what I know. The drive tube assemblies can be swapped out between units with no issue. The innards on the early HT101 and HT70/75 are different than the late 101 and 131. If you have an earlier 101, you may have the early style telescoping shaft. I have recently been to school on these, but I had it mastered quite a while before I went to that. You will find a black greasy MESS inside of the tube. While you can grease the bearings if you like, you should not grease the star spline where it slides in and out. There are two ribs inside the tube, and they are supposed to be there. They help keep the bearing blocks where there are supposed to be. There are two long springs, and two sliding bearings inside. These springs keep the bearings evenly spaced wether the tube is extended or not. The early lower tube assy had an issue with the circlip sliding out of place if people got to slamming the tube in and out. The later design bearing solved that. Just take your time, and keep track of how it came apart. If you get jammed up :eek2: post back, and we can get you straightened out.

As for the gearhead end, they will all bolt on to each other. There are differences. Some have a slip-clutch on the drive sprocket, and some do not. I think only the HT70 had the direct drive. The other ones have beville washers that hold pressure on the sprocket. If the chain binds to where the shaft might be bent, the sprocket is designed to slip. Also, I have been told that there are two different gear ratios for the gearset.

Good luck. You will be fine.

Well, I talked to the guy, and had found a ht131 shaft on feebay for $200 bin+$35 shipping. He opted for that option instead of a rebuild.

I am still gonna try to rebuild the shaft, just for the knowledge and just sell it on ebay if I get it rebuilt. Don't unsubscribe just yet guys, cause I now I am gonna need help. Thanks for the responses so far, I really appreciate them :msp_thumbup:

You can replace the inner shaft and star drive for around $60. I have replaced my multiple times. Not really hard to do, just pay attention how it comes apart. I have switched power heads between ht101 and a ht131 without any problems putting them on the others shaft.

Latest posts

Back