Stihl kombi extension

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Troda

Troda

ArboristSite Lurker
Have a 130 with pruner. Need extension tube. Anyone have any opinions on steel vs carbon fiber. $69 vs $129. 40% weight savings. CF pole comes in at less than 2 lbs with clamp.
Tom

Hoowasat

Hoowasat

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
If you think you will use the extension a lot, the CF may be worth its weight in gold. I would stick with steel if it's only occasional use. I also have the 130 and thinking of buying the pole-saw attachment with an extension. I will opt for the CF and pay the extra $60 ... mostly because I'm almost 60 y.o. (ain't no young buck no more).

7sleeper

7sleeper

Addicted to ArboristSite
I have an older model KM85. I have the aluminium extension, there is no "steel" extension. I also have the chainsaw attachment as well as the hedge trimmer. If you donot intend to use the chainsaw extension regularly you could easily mount a circular saw blade to your straight shaft trimmer and cut smaller branches up to 2-3 inches.

7sleeper

7sleeper

Addicted to ArboristSite
I have no problems whatsoever using the aluminium extension. Actually I simply hook up the engine in the regular harness and that takes then the largest part of the weight.

I am talking about a combination of this

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/multi-task-tools/kombisystem-attachments/fsgrass/
with something similar to this
https://www.stihlusa.com/products/trimmers-and-brushcutters/trimmer-heads-and-blades/circularchisel/

You CANNOT use this part with a circular blade.
https://www.stihlusa.com/products/multi-task-tools/kombisystem-attachments/fsbcurvd/

Of course I am NOT recomending it and everyone doing it is doing it at his own risk.

I of course only use the circular blade on small trees and undergrowth and sometimes I happen to slip because I am clumsy and do erratic movements with my hands and strangely a branch from a tree above me fall's to the ground... :eek:

What I might add is that the cut is usually much "cleaner" compared to the chainsaw. But of course the circular saw is limited to what diametre it can cut and pinching a blade is equally easy so one should know how to cut branches.

Troda

Troda

ArboristSite Lurker
Was at the dealer the other day. I asked him about the extension. He said it was steel. Looks like steel and heavy as hell. Finish Isnbright unlike the shafts on the accessories I already have. I will bring a magnet next time.

ANewSawyer

ANewSawyer

Addicted to ArboristSite
I have an older model KM85. I have the aluminium extension, there is no "steel" extension. I also have the chainsaw attachment as well as the hedge trimmer. If you donot intend to use the chainsaw extension regularly you could easily mount a circular saw blade to your straight shaft trimmer and cut smaller branches up to 2-3 inches.

THANKS for the clarification. I actually thought you meant using a blade from a carpenter's circular saw. :eek:

Yes, use a Stihl or another weedeater maker's blade. Don't use a carpenter's circular saw blade. I believe they are much too stiff. You want it to give if you hit a stone, not explode!

Timber1972

Timber1972

ArboristSite Lurker
I did about 120 pines with my km90 and aluminum extension sure gets heavy after 4 hours. When I did about 200 2 months later it only took 2 hours to feel as if it had been 8 hours at it. CF pole is in my near future I think.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Hoowasat

Hoowasat

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Sometimes need a telescoping extension that goes in the other direction so one can brace the device against the ground versus holding the full weight for long periods. Hmmm ... perhaps I just created an idea.

DR. P. Proteus

DR. P. Proteus

Addicted to ArboristSite
They say you are not suppose to run the saw with the CF extension because it doesn't hold up like the steel but I have been using the CF for years and I don't let just anybody use it, in fact its pretty much just me.

Latest posts