Stihl M170

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been climbing with one for a couple of months. Good saw, not a 200, but at $159 new out the door, I can afford for them to get dropped. Take the plate off the front of the muffler, it's already drilled out, just rich it up and cut.
I like a rear handle saw to climb with over a top handle anyway, so.....
Decent saw, good price, not a "pro" model, but not priced like one either.
-Ralph

g,day people i was just hoping that one of you mite have a service manual for a stihl 009 im having truble with this saw hope someone can help

I have an ms 180 and I like it for pruning and stuff it is better then the husky 141 I had. I loved the price $179.00 Its not a pro and will never be but I cant pass a deal.

I looked around and these two may not be scammers. They might just be stupid.

Look at the feedback of the buyer. He bid against himself which is not uncommon to meet the reserve but he did not stop. It was at $66.66 then he bid. He continued to bid against himself all the way to $500. As for the $510 well also look at teh feedback.

Bill

people who dont know they could get 2 or 3 of those saws for that kind of money. I'm just amazed, and my 1-42 only sold for $5.00 to a guy making a gocart.

BIll, I could bid a thousand dollars on a 99 cent item and if no-one out bids me I'd get it for 99 cents. The guy in the middle played a dangerous game by trying to find out where the "winner" set his limit. The $510 dollar bid is a proxy of the "winners" actual high bid which may be insanely high.

Well yes and no. In a reserve price auction even if you are thecurrent high bidder you have the option of increaseing your own bid thus bidding against yourself. If the current high bidder had a standing bid of $510 prior to the second bidder then the bid history would not show multiple bids by the second bidder.

Bill

Bill G said:
Well yes and no. In a reserve price auction even if you are thecurrent high bidder you have the option of increaseing your own bid thus bidding against yourself. If the current high bidder had a standing bid of $510 prior to the second bidder then the bid history would not show multiple bids by the second bidder.

Bill
Sedanman has it right in this case:
<blockquote>
510josea ( 1 ) US $510.00 Jun-21-05 21:22:55 PDT
leenaars1450 ( 0 )New eBay Member (less than 30 days) US $500.00 Jun-24-05 19:00:26 PDT
leenaars1450 ( 0 )New eBay Member (less than 30 days) US $450.00 Jun-24-05 18:59:55 PDT
leenaars1450 ( 0 )New eBay Member (less than 30 days) US $425.00 Jun-24-05 18:59:37 PDT
leenaars1450 ( 0 )New eBay Member (less than 30 days) US $400.00 Jun-24-05 18:59:22 PDT
leenaars1450 ( 0 )New eBay Member (less than 30 days) US $375.00 Jun-24-05 18:59:09 PDT
leenaars1450 ( 0 )New eBay Member (less than 30 days) US $350.00 Jun-24-05 18:58:54 PDT
leenaars1450 ( 0 )New eBay Member (less than 30 days) US $300.00 Jun-22-05 18:39:37 PDT
leenaars1450 ( 0 )New eBay Member (less than 30 days) US $290.00 Jun-22-05 18:39:29 PDT
leenaars1450 ( 0 )New eBay Member (less than 30 days) US $270.00 Jun-22-05 18:39:16 PDT
leenaars1450 ( 0 )New eBay Member (less than 30 days) US $250.00 Jun-22-05 18:39:02 PDT
leenaars1450 ( 0 )New eBay Member (less than 30 days) US $220.00 Jun-22-05 18:38:46 PDT
brickbilder ( 79Feedback score is 50 to 99) US $66.66 Jun-21-05 20:29:58 PDT
510josea ( 1 ) US $35.00 Jun-21-05 21:22:28 PDT</blockquote>

Notice that the second place bidder placed all of his bids after the first place bidder, even though they're lower. That means he was repeatedly bidding trying to see what the reserve was.

I see now that the 510Josea was placed first thus backup chased him. Iwas wrong on that case. I will however assure you that even with proxy bidding you can bid against yourself until the reserve is met. I have watched it happen a lot. In the case of this auction the one thing for sure is the seller will owe a nice FVF due to his BS.

Bill

spacemule said:
Sedanman has it right in this case:

Notice that the second place bidder placed all of his bids after the first place bidder, even though they're lower. That means he was repeatedly bidding trying to see what the reserve was.

Actually the high bidder's bid would have jumped to the reserve price right off that's how ebay works bids in that sort of auction. The second bidder would have seen 'reserve met' by the time he started bidding. That seller is selling another one of those 170's and the current #2 on this auction is 'winning' the other one so he knows what the reserve was. That said the two of them are still 'tards.
John....

Something about that auction smells bad. I'm guessing that the saw never leaves the sellers hands, if he actually has the saw. If I recall the newspaper ad correctly, the 170 is on sale for $159.00.

whatsnext said:
Actually the high bidder's bid would have jumped to the reserve price right off that's how ebay works bids in that sort of auction. John....

No that is not how it works. If a saw is placed on ebay with a reserve of $250 and I bid $200 the bid will only be one bid above the highest bid placed. If there are no other bids. Ebay will not just push the bid to $200 without someone else bidding. Now if another bidder has a $195 bid then it will go to $200. Ebay will only bid one bid higher than someone else. That is why many times I am the high bidder on an item and ends below the reserve even with my max bid being much higher than the ending bid. Now what I was talking about last night is upping your own bid to make the reserve, I thought that had went on with the 170 but I did not look at the dates on the bid placements. I was wrong on this particular auction but I will assure you you can sit all night and bid against yourself until the reserve is met. I have watch it happen on saws I have sold. In one case the reserve was $250 the highest bid was around $220 or so. The winner bid against himself until the reserve was met. After you place your bid ebay posts a message "You are the current high bidder but the reserve is not met" "Would you like to enter a higher bid" That is done so you can try to meet the reserve.

Bill

Bill G said:
No that is not how it works. If a saw is placed on ebay with a reserve of $250 and I bid $200 the bid will only be one bid above the highest bid placed. If there are no other bids. Ebay will not just push the bid to $200 without someone else bidding. Now if another bidder has a $195 bid then it will go to $200. Ebay will only bid one bid higher than someone else. That is why many times I am the high bidder on an item and ends below the reserve even with my max bid being much higher than the ending bid. Now what I was talking about last night is upping your own bid to make the reserve, I thought that had went on with the 170 but I did not look at the dates on the bid placements. I was wrong on this particular auction but I will assure you you can sit all night and bid against yourself until the reserve is met. I have watch it happen on saws I have sold. In one case the reserve was $250 the highest bid was around $220 or so. The winner bid against himself until the reserve was met. After you place your bid ebay posts a message "You are the current high bidder but the reserve is not met" "Would you like to enter a higher bid" That is done so you can try to meet the reserve.

Bill
Actually that is how it would work in this case and that was all I was talking about. In this case we know that the high bidder bid at least $510. And, we know he bid before the other guy. And, we know the reserve was less than that and somewhere around $190. So, as soon as the >$510 bid was placed ebay would have jumped the bid up to the reserve amount instantly. That's why ebay tells you to bid only what you are willing to pay. Read the rules.
John............

Latest posts

Back