Stihl M170

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Idiots? I seriously doubt it.

I suppose there is somebody around dumb enough to pay that for a 170 just because they have to get themselves a "bargain" on Ebay but I seriously doubt it. Over at the tractor forum I hang around on there they were just discussing the same thing. It appears that the internet goblin's have found a new way to mess with sellers on Ebay and make it look like the seller is running up his own items. Somehow they have tapped into Ebay ( I am no computer whiz so dont ask how) They run the item up to some sky high price and make it look like a shill bid from the seller. Then they report the "crime" to Ebay and get to dude thrown off. Ebay has been, as usual, very slow to react except to throw off the poor innocent sellers.

whatsnext said:
Actually the high bidder's bid would have jumped to the reserve price right off that's how ebay works bids in that sort of auction. The second bidder would have seen 'reserve met' by the time he started bidding. That seller is selling another one of those 170's and the current #2 on this auction is 'winning' the other one so he knows what the reserve was. That said the two of them are still 'tards.
John....
I used a misnomer. I didn't mean reserve--I meant the number one's high bid. I do that occasionally. :)

Butch(OH) said:
I suppose there is somebody around dumb enough to pay that for a 170 just because they have to get themselves a "bargain" on Ebay but I seriously doubt it. Over at the tractor forum I hang around on there they were just discussing the same thing. It appears that the internet goblin's have found a new way to mess with sellers on Ebay and make it look like the seller is running up his own items. Somehow they have tapped into Ebay ( I am no computer whiz so dont ask how) They run the item up to some sky high price and make it look like a shill bid from the seller. Then they report the "crime" to Ebay and get to dude thrown off. Ebay has been, as usual, very slow to react except to throw off the poor innocent sellers.

The problem with this theory is that ebay views Power Sellers as untouchable. And there are two guys overbidding not just one shill. If this were some sort of workable scam they would pick on new sellers. This guy had already sold one of these 170's for about $191. What would be the logic behind a scam like this. If it were possible to break into ebay's system, and you wanted to create havoc, wouldn't it make sense to bid on every auction?
John.....

I don't know John, never been any good at cheating or figuring out cheaters, just reporting what I read.

whatsnext said:
Read the rules.
John............

John,

I know the rules. Ebay will not up your bid to the reserve unless there is another bidder above you are you increase your own bid. You said "Actually the high bidder's bid would have jumped to the reserve price right off that's how ebay works bids in that sort of auction." That is not true. The high bidders bid will not go to the reserve automatically unless there is someone else bidding above you or you up your own bid. In the case of the 170 it went as high as it did because the second bidder had a very high bid. It did not simply increase due to a reserve.

Bill

Bill G said:
John,

I know the rules. Ebay will not up your bid to the reserve unless there is another bidder above you are you increase your own bid. You said "Actually the high bidder's bid would have jumped to the reserve price right off that's how ebay works bids in that sort of auction." That is not true. The high bidders bid will not go to the reserve automatically unless there is someone else bidding above you or you up your own bid. In the case of the 170 it went as high as it did because the second bidder had a very high bid. It did not simply increase due to a reserve.

Bill

If you really did know the rules, I posted a link to them for you, you would see that, on reserve auctions, the first bid over the reserve amount will instantly bring the bid price up to the reserve amount even if there is only one bidder. I'm not arguing with you but I did read the rules and I understand them.
John.......

Ebay will only advance your bid to one bid higher than the backup bidder. If a person posts a item for sale at a beginning bid of $0.99 and a reserve of $25 and it receives only one bid it will end at $0.99. If the first bidder had a bid of $25 entered and a second bidder had bid $24 then yes it will go to $25. If there is no bidder it ends at the opening bid.

Look at this auction
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=79666&item=3983418260&rd=1

If ebay automatically advanced bids to your maximum WITHOUT another bidder like you are trying to say then the saw would be much higher then it is now 9:35AM CDT. It is currently at $67 with a maximum bid of $140. If it worked like you say then it would have went automatically to $140.

Bid Confirmation Item number: 3983418260

You are signed in This item is being tracked in My eBay | Email to a friend

The reserve price has not been met (although you are the current high bidder)

Important: To try and win this item, enter a higher maximum bid. You can also purchase the item immediately by clicking the Buy It Now link below.

Title: HUSQVARNA FARM TOUGH RANCHER 55 CHAINSAW STIHL NEW
Time left: 2 days 5 hours
History: 2 bids
Current bid: US $67.00
Your maximum bid: US $140.00 (Reserve not met)
Your new maximum bid: US $ (Enter US $68.00 or more)

or Buy It Now for US $289.00

Bill, Thank you for seeing things my way. I hope I wasn't too hard on you but you kept claiming that you were correct. Here is a quote, for you future referrence, from eBAY's site:
"If your maximum bid is the first to meet or exceed the reserve price, the effective bid displayed will automatically be raised to the reserve price."

Case closed, John.............

ebay

I am a ebay buyer and Bill G is correct on this, contrary to what ebay says the bid will only advance on a reserve or non-reserve auction with another bidder advancing it, it will not jump to the reserve even if your max bid is higher then the reserve
Thanks
ERIK KING

superman_36 said:
I am a ebay buyer and Bill G is correct on this, contrary to what ebay says the bid will only advance on a reserve or non-reserve auction with another bidder advancing it, it will not jump to the reserve even if your max bid is higher then the reserve
Thanks
ERIK KING
You're welcome Erik. It does seem logical that eBAY would operate contarily to their own posted rules. An excellent plan now that I think about it. I too am an eBay buyer, and a seller, since 1998 and both my feedback rating and IQ have three digits. I'm sure, now, that I must be wrong because both you and Bill say so.
My mistake, John.........

whatsnext said:
Bill, Thank you for seeing things my way. I hope I wasn't too hard on you but you kept claiming that you were correct. ........

I do not see it your way. I am correct As I have stated the bid only adavance if there is a backup bidder.

Bill

Question on bidding process

Suppose an item has a reserve price of $30 and my first bid is $20.00, could I bid it up to the reserve price or higher if nobody else bid on it?

alderman said:
Suppose an item has a reserve price of $30 and my first bid is $20.00, could I bid it up to the reserve price or higher if nobody else bid on it?

Yep. If you bid again at, let's say $40, ebay would raise the sale price to $30 and that's where it would stay unless another bidder entered the fray.
It's very simple, they have rules, John........

Bill G said:
I do not see it your way. I am correct As I have stated the bid only adavance if there is a backup bidder.

Bill

Suddenly I'm feeling very conflicted.
How odd, John...........

I've bid on Ebay in the past on reserve auctions where the reserve was stated, and it worked as Bill says. One thing to keep in mind is that Ebay is constantly evolving. It's been a while since I've bid on one like this, but the last one I did a couple of years ago worked precisely as Bill states. The bid would raise in dollar increments for each successive bid I made. Don't believe everything you read, whatsnext. You're speaking from theory, we have three here speaking from experience with this situation.

spacemule said:
I've bid on Ebay in the past on reserve auctions where the reserve was stated, and it worked as Bill says. One thing to keep in mind is that Ebay is constantly evolving. It's been a while since I've bid on one like this, but the last one I did a couple of years ago worked precisely as Bill states. The bid would raise in dollar increments for each successive bid I made. Don't believe everything you read, whatsnext. You're speaking from theory, we have three here speaking from experience with this situation.

I am not speaking from theory. My account and the two others I manage have over 1500 transactions. It does not work the way Bill says. Just because you think it does, on occasion, does not make it so. It just looked that way because some of you were not paying attention to what was really going on. How about this: let's get a third party to open an auction, with a reserve, and we'll all see how it behaves.
Let's have a little fun, John......

Just for fun

Let's agree that whoever is wrong never posts to this site again.
I'm game, John......

whatsnext said:
I am not speaking from theory. My account and the two others I manage have over 1500 transactions. It does not work the way Bill says. Just because you think it does, on occasion, does not make it so. It just looked that way because some of you were not paying attention to what was really going on. How about this: let's get a third party to open an auction, with a reserve, and we'll all see how it behaves.
Let's have a little fun, John......

That's fine by me, cause I'm curious to see if it has been fixed--having to make 20 bids to meet the reserve annoyed the heck out of me when my first bid was above the reserve. But I suppose I wasn't paying attention and I didn't really make 20 bids, huh? :rolleyes: I'm a detail oriented person, and I can tell you I have for a certainty bid on auctions that worked as Bill states. Whether you choose to believe me or not is your prerogative. I suppose you think Ebay's system never changes, and anyone who has had a different experience than the current one doesn't know what they're talking about? I've personally sold about 120 items on Ebay, and I started when pictures had to be hosted on your own site and linked, and PayPal wasn't in existence. I know the system also.

I'm through with this thread. This childlike bickering is rather stale.

And here we go

Item number 3983689155.
Starting bid .99
Reserve 225.00
Buy it now 259.00
Anyone who wants to bid $225, just to prove a point, can be pretty sure that someone will outbid them. If not I'll back out the auction so that you don't have to buy the saw.
See ya guys, John.......

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back