Stihl Mill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to assume you want to use it, and are not a collector, and maybe you don't know what else is available. If I'm wrong, I hope you forgive me.

For that price, you can get a 30" Granberg mill that will cut about a 24" log. The stihl mill says that it will only cut a 16" log. There is a guy that I think used to sponsor the site that sells ones that he makes himself for about 60-70% of the price of a Granberg mill. The users name is kpantherpro if you would like to search. For $200 he sells one that will cut a nearly 5 foot log.

Last edited:
Never knew Stihl made a milling accessory for there saws. I do know this is if it has a Stihl brand on it it is overpriced for what it is.

Anyone used one of these Stihl mills before?

Stihl Portable Board Mill | Trade Me

It's going pretty cheap and looks good, just wondering if its worth picking up

In NZD its a good deal, especially as there is no shipping involved. I would spend $125 CDN if it was in my neck of the woods.

To our non commonwealth friends on the forum.........1 NZD is basically 0.80-0.84 USD, and to get anything shipped from the US to New Zealand..............that $200 panther700 xl pro wippie, would cost 5-6 times more in shipping alone as it doesn't break down. Cheapest alternative would be a Granberg comming out of Australia if they still have a dealer there.

Yea Hamish is right, not only is the NZD worth less than a greenback but prices for this kind of stuff are typically higher than in the US as well.
A 30" MkIII Alaskan is $500 here for example, which would be ~$420 USD

Yea Hamish is right, not only is the NZD worth less than a greenback but prices for this kind of stuff are typically higher than in the US as well.
A 30" MkIII Alaskan is $500 here for example, which would be ~$420 USD

That's about what I paid for my second 36" Alaskan Mark III
View attachment 274211

Of course mine came with a Stihl 088 as an accessory. :)

These are well made CMS that have several features that are not available on most other commercial CSMs.

The big problem with this design is it is not adjustable for length of bar and modifying it will be more trouble than it is worth.

This means you will be restricted to a 16" log and once you have a go at CSMing you WILL want to cut up bigger logs so you will have basically.

If you know someone that can weld it is pretty easy to make a basic CSM or you can even make one out of wood and all-thread rod if you are desperate. :biggrin:

Don't seem to bad to me. Would be pretty cool to have a Stihl brand mill. I have a 36" alaskan but at times I wish I had a smaller mill to use after a cant was cut. At that width a much smaller saw and some non safty 3/8 picco would cut fast and not take an hour to sharpen. Also smaller saw =less cost of saw and fuel. I bet one of those 42 cc poulan pro's would run a long time. I say go for it. Would make a cool wall hanger if nothing else.
jnl

Latest posts

Back