Stihl model years

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matthorn

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hello I am shopping for a mid sized used Stihl and I'm having trouble determining how old they are. I found a 024 from 1978 that looks basically the same as the newer ones. Does anyone know how long the different models were in production? Or how to tell how old they are?

This German site is the best I have found on Stihl production years.
Select "Stihl-tabelle" after opening it.
It does not list all models versions sold in North America, though.

Last edited:
Billy_Bob said:
You can use google.com "Language tools" to translate a web site into english (does not translate graphics though).
:laugh: :laugh: The Contra became the Versus.

Such tools can be of great help, but sure have their limitations - so the result must be used with caution.

cbfarmall said:
They were making this saw way back then??? I know that Stihl was still building 031s till 1980 or so. Maybe you meant 1988.
Chris B.
It sure would be interesting if it were made in 1978, but I don't think so.
1982 was the first year acc. to the link I posted.
I don't think the list is flawless though.

Last edited:
matthorn said:
hello I am shopping for a mid sized used Stihl and I'm having trouble determining how old they are. I found a 024 from 1978 that looks basically the same as the newer ones. Does anyone know how long the different models were in production? Or how to tell how old they are?

Why do you think it's from 1978? What is the serial number? Do you know if it has one piston ring or two (the early 024 only had one ring).

It doesn't really matter, I was just using it as an example, but on ebay a lady had an old 024 that she said that her husband had since 1978, She was probably wrong I guess.

Back