Stihl MS 180 C won’t run warm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug Hislop

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Stihl MS 180 C that starts cold fine, idles fine, revs fine, but cuts off with no spark after 10-20 seconds. It will start back up and run for an indeterminate brief (less than 15 seconds) period and cuts off again with no spark. Once I have repeated this cycle a few times the saw will not crank for a few minutes. Once the saw is left for a few minutes the saw will crank again.

I’m determining no spark with an inline spark test light. When the tester shows spark it cranks and runs correctly. When the tester shows no spark it will not crank or continue to run. Here is what I have done to the saw lately; partly as general maintenance and partly chasing this issue.

1. Fresh fuel (ethanol free, right mix)
2. New fuel filter
3. New fuel line
4. Checked the spark plug and gap. Replaced plug.
5. Removed and cleaned exhaust muffler. The screen had a very small amount of buildup. Cleaned the screen and replaced the muffler.
6. Ran the saw with and without the bar and chain to ensure no weird interference from the chain side.
7. Opened, cleaned, and replaced carburetor. I get the same results with two different carbs.
8. Checked the compression with a very simple starter rope test. The compression feels good. Looking in the exhaust side doesn’t show anything unusual in the cylinder.
9. Inspected flywheel and all electrical wiring. No visible damage or wear.
10. I checked the gap between the flywheel and the coil.
11. Replaced the ignition coil and electrical wiring. I get the same results with the original coil and the new coil.

I most recently figured the ignition coil was the issue, but have now concluded the saw fails the same way with two different coils. I suppose by some astounding coincidence I could have two similarly failing coils, but that seems really farfetched.

Does anyone have some recommended troubleshooting tips I have overlooked?

the new saws have to the a r type plug. pull the plug boot off and just lay it on the plug dont push it into place and see how she runs

Welcome to the forum. In item 4 above did you try a new plug altogether or simply reinsert the same plug?

I believe at some point I have swapped the plug, but since my memory isn't totally clear on it I'll swap it next time I look at the saw. Should be today or tomorrow. I'll post an update.

Check your kill switch wiring?

I visually inspected the kill switch wiring and it's placement within the guides and switch mount. Everything looked good. I replaced the kill switch wiring with the new coil after the new coil swap alone didn't resolve the issue.

the new saws have to the a r type plug. pull the plug boot off and just lay it on the plug dont push it into place and see how she runs

I believe at some point I have swapped the plug with a plug I got from the Stihl dealer down the road, but since my memory isn't totally clear on it I'll swap it next time I look at the saw. When I replace the plug I will ensure I get the Stihl specified replacement and I will specifically ask about the resistor plug. Should be today or tomorrow. I'll post an update.

All Stihl chainsaw plugs are r type if I remember correctly also I have seen where a saw losses compression after warming up

I believe at some point I have swapped the plug, but since my memory isn't totally clear on it I'll swap it next time I look at the saw. Should be today or tomorrow. I'll post an update.

Wow. My memory of replacing the plug must have been incorrect. I pickup up a Bosch plug from my local Stihl dealer and the saw runs just fine now. I cut with it for 15 minutes without any issues. Turns out to be one of the simplest fixes. Thanks for the help everyone.

Wow. My memory of replacing the plug must have been incorrect. I pickup up a Bosch plug from my local Stihl dealer and the saw runs just fine now. I cut with it for 15 minutes without any issues. Turns out to be one of the simplest fixes. Thanks for the help everyone.
I figured as much. I ran into this last spring when a guy gave me an 024AV with some strange fire ring plug that he said worked OK on his line trimmer. His saw engine did the same thing as yours--started and then stopped. I replaced the plug and gave him the fire ring plug back and said, "You try it. That plug won't work on this chainsaw."

Good luck, Doug. All of us here are all glad to be of help.

Latest posts

Back