Stihl MS 200 muffler removal problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psi74

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Heyas!
Before I wreck Stihl MS 200 muffler for good I better ask here for help =)
Exhaust pipe had thick carbon layer I decided Ill remove muffler and clean it.

After removing two bolts from the bottom I tried to raise the J-profile thingy on end of exhaust pipe, tried pry top plate up, but no go. The side shield opens a tiny bit on top but I'm afraid I'd break something if that ain't proper way to open it. So if you know how to do it please share.

Search gave away MS 200T had loctite used to secure bolts but could manufacturer/tech used it to seal the joints as well? :confused:

uhhh u got the gas tank off of it? it has to come off to get the muffler off.

I don't bet it needs cleaned......

You don't take the tank off to remove the muffler - just remove the small cover from the clutch side, and the two screws holding the tank near the muffler. The muffler slides out.

Thanks! Mmmmm, after removing clutchside lower plastic cover and removing two bolts from bottom I got muffler out. The inside looks much worse than I imagined, its like burnt wood thats extinguished with water, not like fine powdery carbon I've seen in other saws.
The bottom side of muffler got two more bolts, prolly loctited ones. First one broke into hole... Any ideas how to get piece out? I'll try heating other bolt before unscrewing for sure :)

DO NOT try to split the muffler, the bolts will break! remove a small screw on the right side to pull the screen out, then remove the little element form its holder, git it red hot on a gas stove or torch, blow sum air on it and it'll be clean as a cat's asp. (wisdom direct from Lakeside himself!) If you feel it is absolutley necessary to clean out the muffler itself, mebbe there's sum kinda carbon dissolver you can soak it in.

Oh, BTW, mine has one or two of those bolts broken, and I just stuck it back on and it works fine. I think the muffler must have been welded through use.........

I wouldn't worry about getting that bolt out, and I am normally anal about saw stuf...

-warning - lesson learned

Using blowtorch to burn carbon off seemed like a brilliant idea... until I noticed muffler seams becoming wider :censored: but then it was already too late to save it. There was a small pool of melted metal and one corner crumbled in when tried to move muffler. Maybe it would have worked if pieces were already apart like when I cleaned 025 muffler in fire or maybe it was different material or torch was set way too hot. But one thing is sure, I wont be torching this new one, I try that soaking solution or heating bolts before trying to unscrew them. Thanks for help dudes :clap:

Latest posts

Back