Stihl MS 211 bar and chain ?'s for replacements

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trophyhunter

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
So I got my hands on a new never in the wood MS 211 from my dealer that someone had brought back for whatever reason and he made me a great deal on it, just wanted a small lighter back up saw to keep in the truck and the price was really right.

I've always cut everything with a 60cc saw and still will for the most part I run a 362 CM these days but this 211 came with an 18" bar and some sort of safety chain 3/8 / .050 "P" with 61 drive links. Obviously this is not the typical 3/8 .050 I've cut with pretty much forever is this what Stihl calls Picco chain and Oregon peddles as low profile?

Looking for some input here, what the heck do I buy for a replacement chain for this 18" bar that's not green labeled safety chain, and should I even bother with one that long and just try and trade it off for a 16" before I get it dirty? If so, what bar and chain to buy for it?

I know exactly nothing about these homeowner saws, never run one.

Obligatory pic of new saw, seems put together well enough for what I'll use it for.
RkynJhQl.jpg

90E7WBJl.jpg

H8Z7Q9Al.jpg

63PS61 is you want Stihl chisel chain
63PM61 for semi-chisel
91VXL061G for Oregon semi-chisel

Thanks Gary! That's really what I needed to know for sourcing new chain. These all sharpen with any 5/32" file?

Any opinions on this being to much bar for the power head? Seems like a lot of bite for 35cc's.

Yea was kinda my thoughts on the 18" bar and chair, seems like way to much for that saw and even a 16" could really slow it down. All the dealers around here have them set up that way though with 18's, I guess they try to cover all the bases for one saw owners with that long a bar.

I haven't tried it yet, guess I'll put it in some wood this weekend and see how it does with the 18 that's on it.

It will likely do just fine.
I'm hoping so, one thing I like about it that little saw dumps oil out of the bar port like the Exxon Valdez making the history books it really moves it out of the hole I pulled the bar and started it earlier even at idle there's a nice steady flow so it should lube the bar just fine.

I'm hoping so, one thing I like about it that little saw dumps oil out of the bar port like the Exxon Valdez making the history books it really moves it out of the hole I pulled the bar and started it earlier even at idle there's a nice steady flow so it should lube the bar just fine.
We were all teenagers once!!

I would sell the 18" combo and go with a 14" with Oregon 3/8LP 91vxl.
Like mentioned above 16" would be pushing it.
If your just going to use it to limb with you could switch over to .325.

MS211 comes with 18" 3/8P in my neck of the hood. While I wouldn't want to bury the bar, it works well for limbing.
Every dealer I checked with it only offered it with the 18" bar. Guess it's got more grunt than what I was expecting if they are setting them up that way.

Latest posts

Back