Stihl MS 241 c-m questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gopher Hunter

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Greetings from a fairly new member

Backgroiund: I currently own a 5 YO Husky 450 with an 18" bar and a newer Stihl 211 with a 14 & 16" bar. Both work fine for the most part.

Due to a 4000+ elevation and 80+ degree temperature variation over which I might use the 'bigger saw' I'm thinking of upgrading the bigger of my saws (the 450) to a saw with autotune. I'm pretty much convinced the best option for me would be a Stihl 241 or 261 just so that everything would be 'brand similar'. So here's my dilemma: I would prefer to go the 241 (over the 261) route due to the lighter weight but the US version is only offered in a 16" max bar length. I'm OK with 16" for 90% of what I'd use the saw for but there is the occasion when I'd like to run an 18" bar. I.e. I'd probably sell the 450 just so I don't have a shelf full of saws. :dizzy:

The very curious thing is that the 241 is offered with an 18" bar in the UK but only a 16" bar in the US.
http://www.stihl.co.uk/STIHL-Produc...insaws-for-forestry/21936-130/MS-241-C-M.aspx

Does anyone know if US dealers would setup a 241 with an 18" bar or optionally if running that bar long length would somehow violate the US warranty or have the Stihl gods PO'd at me? My WAG is that this shorter bar length is a certification/lawyer issue but that's just a guess! The fallback route would be to just purchase an 18" bar/chain 'on the sly' or go with the heavier 261.

Thanks for any constructive advise!

cheers
JohnG

John

I'm new here but the way I see it is they probably feel an 18 in bar on the 241 a 41cc saw is to much chain to drag the 241 and the 261 are both pro saws the 261 is a 50cc saw same as your 450 but being a pro saw it will have a little more HP than your 450 and probably out perform it pretty good JMO I'm like you wanting a 241 for the size and weight I don't know what you are cutting I mainly cut mesquite and small oak

The 241's are o.k., but they depend on the picco chain and short bar for their performance. A 261 is a significant improvement over both the 241 and your 450.

I run my 241 with .325" and a 16" bar buried in Aussie hardwood and it does fine. Not sure why people would think it struggles? It does it easily. Even an 8 pin rim goes OK.
Picco certainly does cut well though but I run .325" because Picco goes blunt too quick with what I cut.

We had one at work on trial, came with a 12" picco bar, changed it for a 14" and it was great. Good to know it'll happily take a 16" .325. Isn't that standard size on the 261? Impressive

Thanks for the informative feedback everyone.

I'm taking another look at the 261. The 261 is just over 4 oz heavier than my 450E so it's likely I won't notice much difference in handling between the two.

Also, I do quite a bit of cleanup work with dirty wood so those chain suggestions are helpful. It sounds like the .325 chains are better than pico for cutting dirty wood.

cheers
JohnG

If you get a 261 then you can run 3/8" chain which will wear even better than .325". They have more than enough torque to pull a 20" bar with the larger chain.

Not to make this a stihl vs husky thing , but , i bought a 241 unseen as my dealer had to order it and the one thing that came to my mind was that the saw as far as physical size goes wasnt much smaller than my 346..may not matter to you..a 261 is an awesome firewood saw

Any decent 40cc saw should be able to pull a 16" bar with Lo Pro/Picco easily in US hard woods. My GZ4000's can, my 142 can, even my ported 38cc Earthquake can. My GZ4000's usually run an 18" bar. Why not just get a spare 18" B&C and use it when you need it? It won't harm anything.

You mentioned 4000' altitude changes but hot how high you get - if you are at high altitude you'll lose power so a larger displacement might make sense. But then if you move from Lo Pro/Picco the kerf will be wider and the saw will have to move more wood, so you lose some of the displacement advantage. You'll have to decide how much the weight matters to you.

since your selling your big saw (450) you dont need to downgrade to a small dispacement since the replacement saw will become your big saw. Between the 241 and 261 I would consider the 241 a limbing saw and the 261 a general firewood saw. Make sure you go with the CM version on the 261. Another option since you already own a 450 is to look very carefully at the Husq 550xp. Member Mesupra sells them at incredible savings here in the classifeds section from time to time. Here is some food for thought.....

the slowest is the 261cm.... but it also has more torque whereas the other two are known for chain speed. 261cm is also Mastermind's favorite 50cc saw- I know he likes the filter setup on them and the way they cut (torque vs speed) says you can lean on them more. I have a 261cm and the also own the 2153 in this video. The 2153 will never be sold. THe 261cm is stihl on trial with me. Wanted to try it out based on Randy's opinion of them.

The 241's are available w/ 16" and 18" bars in .325 and 3/8 lo pro all depending on where you're located.
Our saws here in the Northeast are coming with 3/8 lo pro set ups.

Back