Stihl MS 241 CM - break-in question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duvallite

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just bought a new MS 241 C-M saw, but won’t start using it for about 2 weeks. I’ve always owned used saws before, so they were already broken in. What’s the best way to break in my new saw at home so that it’s ready to go in a couple of weeks, considering I don’t have anything to cut with it yet? The dealer said to just let it run at idle for an hour or so. Any advice?

No need to let it idle for that long. 1-2 minutes maximum.

No need for “break in”. Just don’t hold it wide open out of wood. Other than that, just cut wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well put. That’s about all there is to it.

Hope you enjoy the saw. I got my new MS241C about a month ago. They are a blast to run and don’t leave you with a sore back.

Fill it up and run it like you stole it !

CFEey8d.jpg

For a new saw (or fresh rebuild) I just fire them up and run them...no need to do a break-in procedure. These saws are tough as nails and well constructed. Just be sure your fuel mix is correct and you should be good to go!
Exactly but dont keep pushing it in big heavy stuf untillm it gets too hot give it a break then.
For a new saw (or fresh rebuild) I just fire them up and run them...no need to do a break-in procedure. These saws are tough as nails and well constructed. Just be sure your fuel mix is correct and you should be good to go!
Yup,dont get it real hot is all!

I'll usually give brand new saws a good minute or two to idle up to operating temp, cut, idle, cut, idle, cut, idle. Basically don't just bury the bar in big wood and give her the beans for minutes at a time. Give the engine idle time to cool itself off between cuts if you're in bigger wood.

Considering the size wood you're going to be in with a 241, just go cut and don't worry about it. Agree with the poster that said not to go WOT out of wood, but IMO, unless you're tuning or re-setting m-tronic, you shouldn't run an engine WOT without a load at any time.

Back