Stihl MS 250 vs. MS 270

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fishing Fool

Fishing Fool

ArboristSite Lurker
I've seen this debated before...

But I am wanting to buy my first saw and I am still a bit unsure of what to buy. I have both Stihl and Husky dealers in the area, and am a bit biased towards Stihl, but basically will buy the best saw for the price. This year I have quite a bit of clearing to do to make room for a house, after that will be basically firewood yearly and maintaining trails. I want a decent saw that I can depend on for a while without spending a whole lot, cus I am on a restricted budget. The MS 250 sells for 379$ and the MS 270 479$... The MS 260 is 549$, but have pretty much counted it out as I have to buy a good brushcutter as well. Which brings on another debate ... FS 250 or FS 130? lol

Thanks for your input!

StihlyinEly

StihlyinEly

Addicted to ArboristSite
FF, welcome to AS! :D

I second the 026/260. You can find a totally solid used 026/260 pro with a ton of life left on it for $300. There are AS classifieds here, though that model usually doesn't stay up long when someone sells one. You also can try Craig's List or Ebay, as there are tons of 026/260s out there on the used market. Not because they are bad saws, but because they are such BAD saws that everyone wants one! :givebeer:

If you don't want to go through the hassle/doubt of buying used, get the 250. It'll do you fine for what you need, and since you're on a budget, the extra $100 will come in handy. If you are more caught up with the added size and durability of the pro quality 270 and the $100 doesn't matter that much, you'll find the 270 probably will last longer. Either way, with one-time land clearing followed by occasional firewood use, both saws will perform well, as long as they are regularly cleaned and maintained.

NHtech

NHtech

ArboristSite Operative
250 is a good saw for the money the only reason i bought another has to do with CAD i think.

and i realy like my new husky what i would do in your shoes is go and talk to both dealers and buy from the one that you like the best

for me the huskys are alittle better in the 50 cc range but thats just me

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
Like choosing between pest and colera, both are "homeowner" designs (but the 270 sure is the better one) - Stihl doesn't make any really good saws in the 45-50cc class, even the 260 is way outclassed by today!:givebeer:

Last edited:
StihlyinEly

StihlyinEly

Addicted to ArboristSite
would the 1.6 pound difference be significant?

It's not a big difference in weight, IMO, but that's really an individual thing. Some would choose the lighter saw for that reason alone, but lighter or not, it's generally smoother going (and longer going) cutting with a pro class saw.

I cut for years with homeowner saws and that was just fine, too. You're going to find a bias on this forum toward pro saws because folks who use chainsaws as much as a lot of folks in here prefer the added durability, and lots of members here use saws for a living.

My basic message always is, when people ask for advice on these forums, to take in everything you are told, weigh it, and them make the decision you think is right for YOU.

Last edited:
STIHLTHEDEERE

STIHLTHEDEERE

This is Koty
despite some biased opinion here,stihl makes some exc. 50cc saws. the 260pro is an awesome saw,but overkill for your needs. the 270 with an 16/18" bar is an exc. combo,it is a touch heavy but not noticably. 270/16" ,trim the limit tabs,it is a smoken firewood saw. 260pro is a dated design to some,but has stood the test of time well,one would last you 20+yrs. if properly cared for. there should be a new ms261 out by fall. ANY of the saws you mentioned are exc. firewood saws,that will last a long time if cared for.

StihlyinEly

StihlyinEly

Addicted to ArboristSite
ANY of the saws you mentioned are exc. firewood saws,that will last a long time if cared for.

And care is the key. The right fuel/mix, the right regular cleaning and maintenance and cutting technique and that saw, whether it's labeled pro or homeowner, should last you a long, long time for one-time clearing and occasional firewood cutting.

Evan

Addicted to ArboristSite
i would check craigslist for 026 and 260s in your area.
300 will get you a like new one, 100 will get running beat to heck saw thats still service worthy.

im also found of the 270. itl do the same work the 361 does. its a good saw for the money

biggenius29

biggenius29

Addicted to ArboristSite
Go with the 260, or look for a used 260/026 for Stihl. Or a 346 Husky. The saws will last yours, your childrens and grandchildrens liftime. Awsome saws, and if something does go wrong, they are way easyer to work on than a 250/270.

Fishing Fool

Fishing Fool

ArboristSite Lurker
I would recommend getting an fs250 over the fs130. I have a lot of run time on both and weight and power the fs250 can't be beat..
I'd get the ms 270 chainsaw. With the $$$ saved vers a 260 you can put that money toward the better trimmer.

I was leaning heavily towards the FS250 trimmer... you might have just made up my mind... I was using my father in law's smallish Husky trimmer last year and found it to be very unreliable and a pain in the butt. Some pretty heavy stuff I have to go through where we're building.

Thanks for all the replies so far!

keith811

keith811

ArboristSite Operative
a good saw that wont brake the bank in the 50 cc area is a husky 455. it is a tad on the heavy side but very comfortable to use, and with a mild muffler mod the power to weight ratio comes back in line. the guys on here are prob going to eat me alive for suggesting this saw but I use mine every weekend for 6 to 8 hours a day sat and sun. and have no probs with it. for around 400 bucks you really can't beat it. The only saw I have run in the 50 to 55 cc rang that will beat it are high $ pro line saws.

Fishing Fool

Fishing Fool

ArboristSite Lurker
If your going to block firewood , then I would'nt even consider the MS 250, you'll be much more happy with the MS 270, How much wood do you cut for firewood?

As of now, I don't cut any, but I will be heating all winter with wood eventually, in the northern parts of Quebec... could be quite a bit. This spring/summer will be mostly clearing a 200'x200' area for a house.