Stihl MS 250 vs. MS 270

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will be heating all winter with wood eventually, in the northern parts of Quebec... could be quite a bit. This spring/summer will be mostly clearing a 200'x200' area for a house.

That's potentially a good bit more wood than I'd imagined. How large are the biggest trunk diameters on the land you'll be clearing, and what types of wood? I cut up 9-10 loggers cords per year of hardwood for home heating where I live, and you are quite a bit farther north, though I'd bet your new home will be much more energy efficient than my 100-year-old one. Either the 250 or 270 will eat up that much wood annually for years if it's properly cared for, but if your lot is thick with trees and/or you are tackling larger trees, either of those saws could be iffy.

Another reason I ask is that it's a good idea to resist the temptation to put a longer bar on a smaller saw. Looks good on paper, but often enough the saw doesn't have the muscle to really handle it. Unless you are into tackling a muffler modification (which isn't that hard and has been detailed on AS many times but may be more than you feel like doing) to add power to the saw, I'd say you'd want to pull an 18-inch bar with .325 chain tops for the 270, and a 16-inch on the 250. I'm talking hardwoods here. You can get away with a little more bar in softwoods like pine.

Regarding the brush cutter, with two- and three-man teams, I've helped clear lots that size of some pretty thick brush just using long-handled pruners and bow saws. And even if you don't want to go that route, your brush-cutter probably would be a one-time expense unless you've got more clearing in mind, so you may want to look at renting a brush cutter for a day to get all the brush out and then clearing it after returning the cutter. One day's rental rate will save you a lot of money over buying. That money could potentially be put toward a better/larger saw (IF the trees on your lot require a bigger saw) or just left in the budget for other things.

Just more food for thought.

do yourself a favor and check out the Husky 346. it sounds like you are going to be using your saw quite a bit in the coming years and you will never regret the 346 over either of the two stihls you mention. this comes from someone who has no brand allegiance and owns an 026, and has lots of time on an 025.

That's potentially a good bit more wood than I'd imagined. How large are the biggest trunk diameters on the land you'll be clearing, and what types of wood? I cut up 9-10 loggers cords per year of hardwood for home heating where I live, and you are quite a bit farther north, though I'd bet your new home will be much more energy efficient than my 100-year-old one. Either the 250 or 270 will eat up that much wood annually for years if it's properly cared for, but if your lot is thick with trees and/or you are tackling larger trees, either of those saws could be iffy.

Another reason I ask is that it's a good idea to resist the temptation to put a longer bar on a smaller saw. Looks good on paper, but often enough the saw doesn't have the muscle to really handle it. Unless you are into tackling a muffler modification (which isn't that hard and has been detailed on AS many times but may be more than you feel like doing) to add power to the saw, I'd say you'd want to pull an 18-inch bar with .325 chain tops for the 270, and a 16-inch on the 250. I'm talking hardwoods here. You can get away with a little more bar in softwoods like pine.

Regarding the brush cutter, with two- and three-man teams, I've helped clear lots that size of some pretty thick brush just using long-handled pruners and bow saws. And even if you don't want to go that route, your brush-cutter probably would be a one-time expense unless you've got more clearing in mind, so you may want to look at renting a brush cutter for a day to get all the brush out and then clearing it after returning the cutter. One day's rental rate will save you a lot of money over buying. That money could potentially be put toward a better/larger saw (IF the trees on your lot require a bigger saw) or just left in the budget for other things.

Just more food for thought.

Trees are mostly aspen, birch, pine, maple... probably nothing more than 12 -16 inches tops as we will be keeping most of the big healthy trees. and It's not TOO north! Still have a 10 to 12 hours drive north to see caribou. lol!

Thanks for all of your comments!

Neither

Stihl doesn't make a competitive 50cc saw. Check out the Husqvarna 346 XP and the Dolmar PS-5100 S (replaced by the PS-5105), there are several threads here on these two saws, as for which one is better, if you're on a budget then the Dolmar is the better value.

For the cutting you described, you may be happier with a 60 cc saw, but on your budget you'll have to go with a homeowner saw or find a good used pro saw. If you don't know much about chainsaws then it's easy to get hosed buying used, but for your price range you can find some b!tchin' pro saws; the Stihl MS 361 is a favorite around here, search around and you'll find some others.

Ok so here is what it all boils down to... MS270 (480$), MS260(550$), Husky 353 e-tech (590$)

Went to a respected dealer today handled all three saws and I do see the difference in quality.

-The 270 seems a bit clunky and a little awkward, but would do the job
-the 260 seems to have better power to weight
-the Husky 353 has better anti vibe than the 260 and seems a bit more refined in general, with a little less power 3.3hp vs 3.5hp...

I am leaning towards the MS260, the wife towards the MS270 lol, but the Husky is a very attractive saw as well with the better anti vibe...

I have little to no experience with saws, so what should I lean on most to make my decision?

Thank you all for your input

I was leaning heavily towards the FS250 trimmer... you might have just made up my mind... I was using my father in law's smallish Husky trimmer last year and found it to be very unreliable and a pain in the butt. Some pretty heavy stuff I have to go through where we're building.

Thanks for all the replies so far!

:agree2: Keep leaning in that direction!

Too weak trimmers are annoying to use!

Ok so here is what it all boils down to... MS270 (480$), MS260(550$), Husky 353 e-tech (590$)

Went to a respected dealer today handled all three saws and I do see the difference in quality.

-The 270 seems a bit clunky and a little awkward, but would do the job
-the 260 seems to have better power to weight
-the Husky 353 has better anti vibe than the 260 and seems a bit more refined in general, with a little less power 3.3hp vs 3.5hp...

I am leaning towards the MS260, the wife towards the MS270 lol, but the Husky is a very attractive saw as well with the better anti vibe...

I have little to no experience with saws, so what should I lean on most to make my decision?

Thank you all for your input

It is not only the AV that is better on the Husky, the air filtration system is much better as well!

On the flip side, you will need to have the cat (e-tech) muffler changed out.

I'd personally chose the 260 based on those prices. Its definately a rock solid design and an extremely reliable saw. The AV and air filtration are non issues to me also. Take the extra money saved vs the 353 and buy yourself the FS250 trimmer.

I like my stihl 250 and If I had to do it all over again, I'd get the 250 again. If you let them, there are people here that would have you convinced you can't cut anything unless it's the 120cc stinseredusky super saw.

Last edited:
I like my stihl 250 and If I had to do it all over again, I'd get the 250 again. If you let them, there are people here that would have you convinced you can't cut anything unless it's the 120cc stinseredusky super saw.
LOL I agree. I personally like the 250's also. My dad has been using an 025 for cutting all of his (12 cords + per year) of wood for the last 15 or so years. He did end up buying an MS250 because he thought the 025 has seen enough use and its probably getting a bit tired. He thought reliability may start becoming an issue. He purchased the MS250 two years ago and still hasn't used it. I have given numerous friends 025's or MS250's and they are tickled pink with them. If your looking for a light, reasonably priced saw in this cc range they are hard to beat.

If it was me I would go with the MS 260 pro. It is an awesome little saw, not too expensive, and can be bought with or easily upgraded to a 3/8" full chisel chain and bar, or you can use it with the .325" b&c. But the 250, 260, or 270 would all be great saws for what you want them for.

The 353 and 260 are definately in the same league. With, as Sawtroll already mentioned, the 353 being the much more refined saw. I donot believe that you will notice, for your limited use, any difference torwards the 270. Further I would not use a 3/8 chain in this class of saws and stay away from to large bars! Going to big will severly inhibit the saws potential.

It is true that you will use your saw intensely in the first years but it still is not in the user league that you would require a pro saw! You will not be carrying it around all day or saw for hours and hours. So please be realistic and get what you really need and not any flashy hype. You can use the saved money for your trimmer and neither are spare chains or other tools for free. Sorry but that is the reality.

I would ask your dealer to make a combo deal! He should seriously consider it giving you a major discount if you buy a 2 products at his place.

Pro models are, in my belief, often overrated for a homeowner!

Good luck

Last edited:
I enjoy reading bashing posts on saws from guys who have probably never owned or even ran half the models they persecute. Pulling up a spec sheet on the internet doesn't exactly qualify as first hand experience. I on the other hand own all 3 and will tell you exactly whats what, 1st off the 270 will out cut a 260 in stock form but not muff modded but who cares for what you need it for? The 250 although plasticy is a fantastic little saw that all the rental companies use in their fleets and have stellar records for reliability. I agree the 260 is expensive has worse vibration than the 270 and the filter requires service more, but the engine is far more superior which most folks will never wear out anyways. Get the 270, I don't care if it does weigh 14 kilograms more or however you measure it, it's a fine saw that will last many many years and wont break the bank.

The 353 and 260 are definately in the same league. With, as Sawtroll already mentioned, the 353 being the much more refined saw. I donot believe that you will notice, for your limited use, any difference torwards the 270. Further I would not use a 3/8 chain in this class of saws and stay away from to large bars! Going to big will severly inhibit the saws potential.

It is true that you will use your saw intensely in the first years but it still is not in the user league that you would require a pro saw! You will not be carrying it around all day or saw for hours and hours. So please be realistic and get what you really need and not any flashy hype. You can use the saved money for your trimmer and neither are spare chains or other tools for free. Sorry but that is the reality.

I would ask your dealer to make a combo deal! He should seriously consider it giving you a major discount if you buy a 2 products at his place.

Pro models are, in my belief, often overrated for a homeowner!

Good luck

Well said! My saws make money and half of them aren't pro saws. I wish stihl and husqvarna would have never divided their saws into classes. I liked the days when an 028 and a husqvarna 55 were what you bought as an arborist.

Well said! My saws make money and half of them aren't pro saws. I wish stihl and husqvarna would have never divided their saws into classes. I liked the days when an 028 and a husqvarna 55 were what you bought as an arborist.

Thank you. But as we all know some people simply do not listen. BTW I like your signature! :clap:
It is absoluty correct that just handling, staking, transporting and splitting takes much more times than the seconds saved by having a saw cutting cookies 2, 3 or 10 seconds faster!

You are a novice. An experienced with a 50cc saw will be faster than you with a 70cc saw. He has the knowledge where, how, when and how fast to cut to achieve the best results. He will probably even be faster with a 40cc saw.

Good luck

attachment.php

Right about the same price as the 270 if ya shop around, but better built, lighter, faster, better air filtration, handles many times better and will still slap a 260 around.

If it's purely about the $$ though and ya wont be cutting much at all, it's doubtfull you'll ever wear out a 250 or need anything other than the occaisional tweak.

Keep an eyeball peeled on the trading post for good used saws and the best deals however.

Every once in a while you'll find a good used 026 or 346 going for 2-3 Bills, leaving you with enough scratch for a serious weed whacker AND a new Beer cooler.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

The 346 will be my next saw for sure. I figure I will sell off the 270 after this season cuz it'll be 2 yrs old and the 346 will replace it. As far as slapping around a 260 the 346 stock cuts like a 260 with the muff drilled.

Unfortunately, for no apparent reason, up here in Canada the price is far from being close... around

480$ for the MS270, 550$ for the ms260

and a whopping 750$ for the 346xp, not worth it in my opinion, but what do I know.

I'm getting closer and closer to getting the ms270 and using the money saved for 3 case of beer for after long days in the woods this spring.

Back