Stihl MS-260 - Sponge in fuel tank?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WalterWhite

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
There's what looks like a folded sponge in the tank of my new-to-me MS-260. I can't find it in any of the parts diagrams. Does it belong there? How can I check the fuel pickup which looks to be behind it?

The saw runs for a few seconds if I dump some mix on the carb throat, but seems like it is otherwise not getting anywhere near enough fuel. I have a carb kit on the way and I'll go through that, but I'm interested in other parts of the fuel system and what's going on in the fuel tank has me really curious.

thanks,
walt

Doesn't sound right and I've never seen a sponge in a 026/260 tank. You might want to go ahead and order a fuel line and fuel filter along with that carb kit. Clean the tank out real good also.

That sponge most likely came out of the fuel pickup body (pictured in the left).

Clean out the lines and the carb.
Does your pump get enough vacuum from the impulse line?

Thanks guys for the replies.

That sponge most likely came out of the fuel pickup body (pictured in the left).

Clean out the lines and the carb.
No, it's definitely not that sponge. It nearly fills the fuel tank. I started to pull it out and it just tended to disintegrate so I figured I better ask before proceeding. This may be something the PO or another tech tried in an attempt to solve a fuel system problem. I agree that getting this stuff cleaned out is going to be key.

Does your pump get enough vacuum from the impulse line?
Probably not. The first time I removed the carb and took the cover off the impulse diaphragm (If I have that right), I could see that the gasket for it had been torn by whoever was there before me.

I just searched the repair manual for "impulse" and found no procedure for checking that. How can I check that it is producing vacuum? Do I just inspect the connection for obvious problems?

thanks again,
walt

:bang: I got a new to me saw a while ago that the PO put a chuck of foam material in to keep the fuel from sloshing. PITA to clean out. Hopefully your situation will be better.

Check the impulse line for cracking, swelling and or blockages. Rebuild carb.

Last edited:
No, it's definitely not that sponge. It nearly fills the fuel tank. I started to pull it out and it just tended to disintegrate so I figured I better ask before proceeding. This may be something the PO or another tech tried in an attempt to solve a fuel system problem. I agree that getting this stuff cleaned out is going to be key.

Definately not something from the factory.

Ive seen it done on a lot of small engine powered equipment and racing fuel cells but never a saw. It keep the fuel from sloshing so the pickup never gets uncovered and isnt necessary with a saw and a swinging pickup like they have. I would get it out of there and clean the tank thoroughly as well as the carb and lines

Back