Stihl MS 271 Carburator

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenskip1

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
OK here is my question.I am looking at a new MS 271. My dealer will swap out the safety chain for the RS.But I am being told that there is no carb adjustment on this saw.I find this hard to swallow.IS there any truth to this statement?I want to be able to richen it up on the high and low side. All the videos I have seen on the tube, the saws all sound leaned out.Several saws have that bogging sound when accelerated. I like the balance of an 18 BC. The price is within my grasp.Thanks, Ken

Ok thanks for the replies.I am very picky as to how my machines run.I purchased a new O28 new back in 85.I donated it to my local fire department. It still had 160lbs of compression however, now being close to 60 years of age, I am going to purchase a new saw something lighter and a bit smoother . Most likely the 271, Ken

Ok thanks for the replies.I am very picky as to how my machines run.I purchased a new O28 new back in 85.I donated it to my local fire department. It still had 160lbs of compression however, now being close to 60 years of age, I am going to purchase a new saw something lighter and a bit smoother . Most likely the 271, Ken
It will come out of the box with the limiter set at the factory. You won't be able to adjust it richer without removing the limiter cap since the factory sets the limiter with no room to richen it, only lean it. I have found that I cannot reliably hear "four stroking" with the 271/291's so I set them to recommended RPM. They have been all spot on from the factory. The L screw, however, on just about every one we've sold is too lean. This has resulted in hard starting. They also are not set in the full rich position on the L limiter, so we turn it to the full rich limit and the problem is solved.

It will come out of the box with the limiter set at the factory. You won't be able to adjust it richer without removing the limiter cap since the factory sets the limiter with no room to richen it, only lean it. I have found that I cannot reliably hear "four stroking" with the 271/291's so I set them to recommended RPM. They have been all spot on from the factory. The L screw, however, on just about every one we've sold is too lean. This has resulted in hard starting. They also are not set in the full rich position on the L limiter, so we turn it to the full rich limit and the problem is solved.

Will I require any special tools to make adjustments? If so are they available to the public or just dealers? Thanks, Ken

Latest posts

Back