Why do so many guys bad mouth the MS 271

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It takes a while, but the difference between a home-owner, or a rancher saw is huge compared to a professional saw. Most here have likely made their first purchase with a rancher saw, but over time have moved on to the Pro saws. There is no going back. I thought my ms290 was a fine little saw, but I can see now it was a little PITA compared to my pro saws. Its like eating a Chuck or a Shank Steak, vs Filet Mignon. If alls you know is the Chuck, and you think it is a treat, then good for you.
I get it Montana. The old 038 I have used for more than 20 years is definitely beefier and has felled a crap ton of trees. It replaced its cousin (an 044 that someone decided they needed more than me). I wanted a second saw as a back up saw and as a lighter duty saw. The MS 271 seemed decent enough for the $429 price at North 40. There seems such snobbery about anything that is not a "pro saw" that I started to think the 271 was somehow a fragile and short lived saw. I live in a town whose top 5 employment is logging but I ain't one of 'em. Those who aren't logging though heat with wood.

Its a sissy boy saw! LOL

I picture one of the characters that the actors David Koechner or Danny McBride play all sniffing with contempt and condescension saying something like,
"Yeah, the MS-271 is a decent saw for my little girl to use. Now if you really want a man's saw to cut your 10 cords per year, then you are going to want to step up to a Stihl MS-880 Magnum with a 36" bar. Cut off the brake and put on the most aggressive chain you can find. Saw chaps?! Snort- yeah, sure just pack yer tampons! har har. But sure, the MS-271 will be good enough for a guy like you.".

It takes a while, but the difference between a home-owner, or a rancher saw is huge compared to a professional saw. Most here have likely made their first purchase with a rancher saw, but over time have moved on to the Pro saws. There is no going back. I thought my ms290 was a fine little saw, but I can see now it was a little PITA compared to my pro saws. Its like eating a Chuck or a Shank Steak, vs Filet Mignon. If alls you know is the Chuck, and you think it is a treat, then good for you.
I can attest to this. Moved on quickly from homeowner saws.
But coincidentally over time learned more about sharpening and carb tuning as well. So they did serve as a good stepping stone.

Latest posts

Back