Why do so many guys bad mouth the MS 271

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grlichti

Reaction score
Howdy all! So here in north central Idaho we have plenty of logging. I am not a logger myself, but know plenty of them. More than a few trees have fallen and plenty of cords to my trusty Stihl 038. (A saw that Ray Benson was kind enough to provide a service manual for, so big "Attaboy" to him!).

Recently, I needed to pick up a second back up saw and for lighter work. The 038 is a lot of things, but lightweight is not one of them! I ran over to pick up an MS 271. Not a pro saw, but why do so many guys bad mouth them on this and other forums? Is it just the usual internet thing or is there something legitimately wrong with the saw?

Howdy all! So here in north central Idaho we have plenty of logging. I am not a logger myself, but know plenty of them. More than a few trees have fallen and plenty of cords to my trusty Stihl 038. (A saw that Ray Benson was kind enough to provide a service manual for, so big "Attaboy" to him!).

Recently, I needed to pick up a second back up saw and for lighter work. The 038 is a lot of things, but lightweight is not one of them! I ran over to pick up an MS 271. Not a pro saw, but why do so many guys bad mouth them on this and other forums? Is it just the usual internet thing or is there something legitimately wrong with the saw?
There’s nothing wrong with a 271 at all. Good saw, a little heavy for its displacement, but will serve you well for a long time.
Many guys will poo poo a saw that is a clamshell, and never put enough hours on a two piece head to warrant the expense.

There’s nothing wrong with a 271 at all. Good saw, a little heavy for its displacement, but will serve you well for a long time.
Many guys will poo poo a saw that is a clamshell, and never put enough hours on a two piece head to warrant the expense.
I almost used the "poo-poo" verb as well, but I felt a disturbance in "the Force", and thought better of it.

Nothing really wrong with them other than being a plastic case clamshell homeowner saw. Lots of people use them for firewood and I promise you the wood doesn't know it's not a pro saw.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

I’ve seen plenty of good clamshells used commercially right along side pro metal cased saws and last just as long. They are cheaper to build that way and usually aren’t as light and fast as their pro counterparts but they are plenty durable. Not as easy to replace a top end on a clammy, and most saws past 50 of 60cc nowadays are metal cased. I think the biggest clammy is the MS391. I’ve seen one of them withstand horrible abuse for nearly 10 years. Nothing wrong with the 271.

I have a 261, and a 271 that runs decent in the parts pile. The 261 is lighter and faster, but the 271 will get the job done.
The problem with the 271 and 291 is they have no aftermarket support and most of the OEM parts are quite expensive, especially the top end.
My 271 is missing the top cover, and a few other plastic parts, which quickly add up to the value of the saw, so it's parts unless I find a parts donor.

Rebuilding a 271 or 291 if they get straight gassed is expensive because parts are expensive beyond belief. Stihl wants you to replace them with a new one, not rebuild the engine.
If they're like previous generation 290's etc., they fetch a fair amount back as a parts saw when straight gassed so not all is lost. Are pro saws much more inexpensive to fix?

Not sure about the 271 but the 311's and 391's had some changes sort of midstream . The intake was changed, so then the air baffle had to be changed, manifold ,etc. So, be careful when you start trying to rebuild one. If you get the wrong cylinder you will need to buy some other stuff to make it work.

If they're like previous generation 290's etc., they fetch a fair amount back as a parts saw when straight gassed so not all is lost. Are pro saws much more inexpensive to fix?
The newer pro saw parts are also expensive. Very few have any AM parts. My Stihl dealer shakes his head whenever he has to order parts for them. Unfortunately, that's the way it is.

It takes a while, but the difference between a home-owner, or a rancher saw is huge compared to a professional saw. Most here have likely made their first purchase with a rancher saw, but over time have moved on to the Pro saws. There is no going back. I thought my ms290 was a fine little saw, but I can see now it was a little PITA compared to my pro saws. Its like eating a Chuck or a Shank Steak, vs Filet Mignon. If alls you know is the Chuck, and you think it is a treat, then good for you.

20 years from now your 038 will be good as gold, plastic casing just dont hold the value as much as magnesium.
It might be an even better saw, but to this audience that wont hold the water.
Other than that, the 038 is an exeptional rigid construction compared to anything ever made. You would say that about your 270 ?

I hate people that disregars stuff. Those people have nothing better to do than pull your happiness down to a minimum just to elevate themselves.
I would prefer to focus on the positive. Your saw has plenty of that.

It's a sissy boy saw, and you being from Idaho need at least a half dozen saws with the smallest one being 70cc. Need to be Stihl and Huskys with at least a 36 and one being a 60" bar to be a real man. .. ... .. And dont forget to have a big old H on your hat and brag that you have 2 miles of rolls of chain in your shop , cause if you don't , you just ain't cool like us.

It's a sissy boy saw, and you being from Idaho need at least a half dozen saws with the smallest one being 70cc. Need to be Stihl and Huskys with at least a 36 and one being a 60" bar to be a real man.
Ah how I love my 241. If I had only one saw left - I would prefer it to be that one. All I need to keep warm during the winter.
Thats a 14", easily capable of 28" of wood...

Latest posts

Back