stihl ms 290 vs. ms 310

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GASoline71 said:
We got a guy on here that mills lumber with a 455...:laugh::laugh: :laugh:

...now, what was his name???....:bang:

Gary
Never mind, he has been banned for good. :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :biggrinbounce2:

SawTroll said:
Never mind, he has been banned for good. :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :biggrinbounce2:

Yes, my good man , that is the story! but these things do seem to reappear.

I would pity some smart mouth wack job that would just happen to have a Rancher attached to a mill, and start spouting off in some political thread!:laugh:

ltrane said:
well guys i bought the 290 and i love it! First tree i cut was a 26" red oak that had been down for about 6 months and it went through it like butter! it is a great saw i am very happy.
ltrane, Congrats on your new saw! What bar length and chain did you go with, the 325 or the 3/8?

ShoerFast said:
Yes, my good man , that is the story! but these things do seem to reappear.

I would pity some smart mouth wack job that would just happen to have a Rancher attached to a mill, and start spouting off in some political thread!:laugh:
They even let him reenter under a new user name, but after a short while they banned him for good under both names......

I don't understand How an MS 361 could be better than an MS 390. An MS 390 has 64.0 cc engine while the 361 has a 59.0 cc engine and cost $100 more than the 390. I did hear the 361 does weigh less and you could upgrade to 28" bar just the same as the 390, but with a smaller engine. To me that makes no sense. Could someone explain this to me.

Iron_Man said:
I don't understand How an MS 361 could be better than an MS 390. An MS 390 has 64.0 cc engine while the 361 has a 59.0 cc engine and cost $100 more than the 390. I did hear the 361 does weigh less and you could upgrade to 28" bar just the same as the 390, but with a smaller engine. To me that makes no sense. Could someone explain this to me.
The engine on the 361 while being less cc actually turns about the same hp because it is a pro engine which generates considerably more rpm's than the 390. Not only is it lighter it is smoother in the powerband and the anti-vibe system is great.
Hope this helps,
Robert:cheers:

Iron_Man said:

Welcome to AS Ironman:rock:

The 390 is a decent saw but the numbers don't tell the whole story! I owned one for a while, ran fine and did ok with a 25" bar, but my dealer even tol me not to try the 28" bar on it!! The 361 has a better powerband, the case is made out of magnesium, it's lighter and built better. Being that it has a mag crankcase you can mod it and get more power yet out of it and it is pushing that saw to run a 28" bar even!! Need to run a 28" you need to step up to a 440, need to run it all the time, ste up to the 460. The 290-390 saws are fine for "ocasional use", it's not a pro saw and will not last as long or put up with the abuse a pro saw will!!
Do you need a pro saw? I have no idea, but you asked, and I hope that helped.
Andy

well no I don't need a pro saw, buts its one of those things once you see them in use, you just want to have them. I have 3 chainsaws and I want more. I wanted a 24" bar. I may get the 361. Hell I have everything else, why not get it.

Iron_Man said:
well no I don't need a pro saw, buts its one of those things once you see them in use, you just want to have them. I have 3 chainsaws and I want more. I wanted a 24" bar. I may get the 361. Hell I have everything else, why not get it.

If memory serves (asking a lot here) I think the price difference is like $70, that my freind, is money well spent!!!
Andy

yeah I agree. I mean I am no logger, but that doesn't mean I won't be one some day. I want a chainsaw for big and small job that I can depend on to be there whenever I need it too and here lately I have been hearing that the 361 is that chainsaw.

There will be many others that will confirm that in a little bit!!! The other saw you might look at, if a 20" max bar length is ok, is the Dolmar 5100, and can be had for a lot less money!!!
Andy

OK, here I am to back that up. The 361 is a fine saw, and I've run mine in light timber and thinning cuts. But Iron Man mentioned a saw for big and small....meh, the 361 would be a stretch. I guess it depends on what you consider a big job. For me, that a sustained job with a 32"-36" bar is a big job. The 361 is not the saw for that job. It could be considered decent as the small side of an "all around" saw. Depends on what you're in.

Welcome to AS.

Jeff

Well to me a big job is cutting small trees about 6'5, but having to walk all over a hillside for 8 hours to do it. I will have to cut a few trees that are kind of thick in diameter. Nothing over 3 ft. in diameter. I just wanted a saw that will cut small trees, as well as 2-3' thick trees when I need it to. I mean the MS 390 could very well do this job. I only wanted a 24" blade, and nothing bigger, because anything bigger is going to be hard to handle. Anymore input would help me in my choosing.

Well Can you tell me if there is anything below a MS 390 that will pull a 20" blade easily?

The ms260 will do it, but not be terribly happy, the 290 or 310 will also do it for a little less money.
Let me ask you a few questions now, why are you set on a 20" bar? Why are you set on Stihl? Right now Uwharrie has Husky 357xp's on sale for around $460 I think, damn fine saw in it'ws own right, not a 361, but close enough you won't care and you can save a bit vs. buying the Stihl? And it pull the 20" Bar just fine! If you are in hardwoods buy the biggest saw that you can and thank youreself latter!!! If you don't have to have the 20", look at the Husky 350 with an 18" bar, great bang for buck saw!!! The reason I say these things, you seem a little gun shy about spending the money I am assuming? And those two suggestions get you a decent saw, without breaking the bank to badly.
Andy

well for one I have heard all my life choose Stihl chainsaws over any. I do know that stihl will last a long time and it will be there when you need it to be. I did get a little info from a guy that works for Stihl and he told me to stick around a 16-18" because its easier to sharpen, lighter, and runs better. I agree, they are lighter. Its not so much spending money, its more finding a right saw for me for a Long Long Long time. Like buying a car. You want the right one for you, and for the jobs that I do I will be looking in a range of 280-290. After what I heard and learning from experience I will stick to about a 18" bar or less. A 361 and 390 is too big for the jobs I do. Unless I move to CA or WV or some place that has jobs with logging i don't need something that big.

Well based on that info, I will give youmy .02. I like Stihl saws, I like them a lot, but you need something in the 50cc class, I will buy a Husky over a Stihl in that size any day!!! The only thing they have is the 260 it's a love hate thing, either you love it, or you hate it, and I will get bashe for this!!! I would look for a Husky 346 or 353, or a Dolmar 5100!! If you want a Stihl and are set on that, then get the 361 and be done!!!! If you want a saw that will last and last, stay away from the 290-390 saws!!! Go handle a 361, see how it feels to you, it may not be as bad as you think!!! The 60cc saws really are not that heavy for all day use.
Andy

What sawred said, plus... Try an 026 with a full skip chain on your 20 inch bar. Very common out here and perform well. It's not a 361, but... it was my favorite saw for a very long time.

I sold my powder-puff (and "well" performing) 026-pro a few months after I got my 361.. Partly because I had an offer I just couldn't refuse, and I really found little use for it after I got the 361...

Back