stihl ms 290 vs. ms 310

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sawinredneck said:
If you want a saw that will last and last, stay away from the 290-390 saws!!!
Andy

would you please elaborate on that statement. Do you mean in the context of that these saws are not intended to be used the way Iron-man's intends to use them, or do you mean that these saws are not reliable in general even if they are used for their intended purpose. :) hope that made sense.

my 2c - I believe the difference is between "last" and "last and last"...

Nothing unreliable about the 290->390 saws... but they are not pro-level saws and if you abuse them they will die earlier. I regularly service 025 and 029 type saws (same thing, different family base sizes) that are 10 years old and have pretty high mileage. The "user" is the single biggest contributor to short or long life.

If I was looking to get a saw with a 16 inch bar (and I am) I'd get a Husky 353 (and I am), which is basically a 346XP with a larger displacement engine and lower RPM range. Don't get me wrong you can put a 18 to 20 inch bar on the 353. I wouldn't though. If I want a saw that can run a 18 to 20 inch bar I'd get a Husky 359. The 353 costs just under $400. The 359 will cost up to $480. This is buying from a dealer in my area. You could buy them on line for $355 and $420ish plus shipping. I prefer to buy my saw from a servicing dealer, that's just me.

The 359, 357XP and MS361 all weigh about the same, 12.1 to 12.3 pounds per their web sites. The 357XP and MS361 make 4.4 hp. Power wise the 359 and MS310 are about the same 3.9 and 4.0 hp. The MS310 weighs 13 pounds according to their web site but some say they weigh closer to 13.5 pounds. I know my 029 weights 13.5 pounds. If you get a 359 you'll save a little money over the 357XP and MS361. If you get a 357XP or a MS361 you'll spend a little more money and get 1/2 hp more. The MS290/310 and even the MS390 weigh a lot for the power they make in my opinion.

A Dolmar 5100 is supposed to be a really good saw in the 50cc class. I don't have any Dolmar dealers in my area so I don't even consider them. Maybe that will change someday!

deeeez said:
would you please elaborate on that statement. Do you mean in the context of that these saws are not intended to be used the way Iron-man's intends to use them, or do you mean that these saws are not reliable in general even if they are used for their intended purpose. :) hope that made sense.

The best way I can think to put it, he is looking for a quality tool that will be around for years to come. My dad bought an 026 years ago, used it very hard and it ran for like six years, started buying Wildthings and went through them twice a year. I finally convinced him to buy a Husky 350 and he is in love!!

The Wildthing is a disposable saw, runs 100-200 hours and you throw it away and get a new one. The Stihl/Husky/Dolmar homeowner/ocassional use saws are 500 hour saws, you pay more and they are built a little better, last a little longer and you get dealer support. The Pro saws are lighter and built much better, call them 1000 hour saws. Made easier to work on, built with better components and worth it if you will use it a lot of want to have a running saw in ten years.
Somebody that runs a saw 2-3 hours a year may as well buy a wildthing. Most firewood cutters and weekend warriors will do great with the midrange saws. Last three or so years and all is good. If you are a pro and run the crap out of it, or want a saw you can hand down to you're son, get the pro model.
The midrange saws perform flawlessly and would probably work for his aplication. Nothing wrong with them at all. But if you ever run a pro saw of the same size, you will never look at that saw the same way and be looking to sell it fast, trust me, been there!!
Does that help any?
Andy

sawinredneck said:
The best way I can think to put it, he is looking for a quality tool that will be around for years to come. My dad bought an 026 years ago, used it very hard and it ran for like six years, started buying Wildthings and went through them twice a year. I finally convinced him to buy a Husky 350 and he is in love!!

The Wildthing is a disposable saw, runs 100-200 hours and you throw it away and get a new one. The Stihl/Husky/Dolmar homeowner/ocassional use saws are 500 hour saws, you pay more and they are built a little better, last a little longer and you get dealer support. The Pro saws are lighter and built much better, call them 1000 hour saws. Made easier to work on, built with better components and worth it if you will use it a lot of want to have a running saw in ten years.
Somebody that runs a saw 2-3 hours a year may as well buy a wildthing. Most firewood cutters and weekend warriors will do great with the midrange saws. Last three or so years and all is good. If you are a pro and run the crap out of it, or want a saw you can hand down to you're son, get the pro model.
The midrange saws perform flawlessly and would probably work for his aplication. Nothing wrong with them at all. But if you ever run a pro saw of the same size, you will never look at that saw the same way and be looking to sell it fast, trust me, been there!!
Does that help any?
Andy

thank you. awesome explanation

sawinredneck said:

The Wildthing is a disposable saw, runs 100-200 hours and you throw it away and get a new one. The Stihl/Husky/Dolmar homeowner/occasional use saws are 500 hour saws, you pay more and they are built a little better, last a little longer and you get dealer support. The Pro saws are lighter and built much better, call them 1000 hour saws. Made easier to work on, built with better components and worth it if you will use it a lot of want to have a running saw in ten years.
The midrange saws perform flawlessly and would probably work for his application. Nothing wrong with them at all. But if you ever run a pro saw of the same size, you will never look at that saw the same way and be looking to sell it fast, trust me, been there!!
Does that help any?
Andy

Your explanation is good, but the hours on the stihl saws are a bit off. Stihl tells us to expect a reasonably maintained pro saw engine (fuel filters, good fuel, clean air cooling path) to last at least 2000 hours, and the mid range occasional use 1000-1500 hours. We do see these type of hours on the pro saws, and more on the likes of the MS200T... Hard to measure on the "mid saws" as most users just don't use them enough in a lifetime. I have seen a couple of woodcutters with incredibly high time 029's -they look after their saws, use them every day, and they are still running. They look like crap , but keep ticking along...

But yes, there is much more to a saw than HP... or even weight... but you have to try one to know.

BTW, triva time... the built-in spell checker I use (IEspell) doesn't like "sawinredneck", and suggests "venerating".. Go figure...:laugh:

Lakeside53 said:
Your explanation is good, but the hours on the stihl saws are a bit off. Stihl tells us to expect a reasonably maintained pro saw engine (fuel filters, good fuel, clean air cooling path) to last at least 2000 hours, and the mid range occasional use 1000-1500 hours. We do see these type of hours on the pro saws, and more on the likes of the MS200T... Hard to measure on the "mid saws" as most users just don't use them enough in a lifetime. I have seen a couple of woodcutters with incredibly high time 029's -they look after their saws, use them every day, and they are still running. They look like crap , but keep ticking along...

But yes, there is much more to a saw than HP... or even weight... but you have to try one to know.

BTW, triva time... the built-in spell checker I use (IEspell) doesn't like "sawinredneck", and suggests "venerating".. Go figure...:laugh:

Yeah, yeah, semantics again, I was just giving the idea, but I know now!!!

Interesting:

ven·er·ate (vn-rt)
tr.v. ven·er·at·ed, ven·er·at·ing, ven·er·ates
To regard with respect, reverence, or heartfelt deference.

Andy

sawinredneck said:
Interesting:

ven·er·ate (vn-rt)
tr.v. ven·er·at·ed, ven·er·at·ing, ven·er·ates
To regard with respect, reverence, or heartfelt deference.

Andy

That's you to a T:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

NYH1 said:
... The 359, 357XP and MS361 all weigh about the same, 12.1 to 12.3 pounds per their web sites. ...
According to web sites and catalogs, yes - but not when tested by independent labs (DLG/KWF) - then the 361 weights 12.3 lbs as adverticed, the 359 12.8 lbs and the 357xp 12.9 lbs.....

NYH1 said:
The 357XP and MS361 make 4.4 hp. ...

The US MS361 is 3.3 kW = 4.4 bhp = 4.5 hp, the Euro one 3.4 kW = 4.6 hp.

The 357xp is 3.2 kW = 4.4 hp all over

The max torque advantage of the 361 is larger.

Last edited:
sawinredneck said:

Does that help any?
Andy

You are right. I like the 361. It can be used on small trees that I cut and at the same time be used for big trees with no problem at all. I also agree that the pro saws are built better and are easier to service. I've been asking around about the MS 361 at my local dealers and they cost a little bit more than I had intended, but in the end its worth it.

Yup.........get a 361 :rockn: I love my 361 "Bad Brutus" :rock: and he don't see bigger than 14" right now. I got both a 20" bar and a new 16" bar :rockn: Just knowing that I could step up to a 24" bar is great to know if needed :D Welcome to the site by the way >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

SawTroll said:
According to web sites and catalogs, yes - but not when tested by independent labs (DLG/KWF) - then the 361 weights 12.3 lbs as adverticed, the 359 12.8 lbs and the 357xp 12.9 lbs....
WOW, 12.8 and 12.9 lbs............what happened to 12.1 lbs? You gotta love it when companies post the wrong figures!

Weigh them yourself if worried. In reality it makes little difference. If it feels good, buy it.

The difference between a solid and laminated bars will wipe out any fine nuances of published weights power head only... gas and oil, or none...

Lakeside53 said:
The difference between a solid and laminated bars will wipe out any fine nuances of published weights power head only... gas and oil, or none...
You sure are right about that, it is one of the reasons that I prefer the laminated bars - and they have held up just fine for me so far. :biggrinbounce2:

SawTroll said:
You sure are right about that, it is one of the reasons that I prefer the laminated bars - and they have held up just fine for me so far. :biggrinbounce2:

But for the guy w/ no wedges a solid bar may make more sense...maybe a 28" for more leverage. :hmm3grin2orange:

Chaser

The ES bars last a lot longer... and in those time when you do use your bar as a "pry", no fear... I'd also like to say "hey, you can change the tip", but that a very rare event.

Its hard to buy a stihl bar over 20 inches that isn't ES, so maybe that explains what Sawtroll uses laminated:hmm3grin2orange:

Back