Stihl MS 290

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenskip1

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
This thread may have come up sometime in the past however, still no search function. Will a MS 290 pull a 3/8 chain on an 18 bar? I no the Husky 455 pulls it and I was just wondering if the 290 would. Thanks Ken

Last edited:
This thread may have come up sometime in the past however, still no search unction. Will a MS 290 pull a 3/8 chain on an 18 bar? I no the Husky 455 pulls it and I was just wondering if the 290 would. Thanks Ken

Mine ran that same set-up quite well, even better after the MM and retune.

Will it pull it? Yes. But it will pull an 18" .325 better. I'd actually consider a 16" in .325; especially in hardwood.

This thread may have come up sometime in the past however, still no search unction. Will a MS 290 pull a 3/8 chain on an 18 bar? I no the Husky 455 pulls it and I was just wondering if the 290 would. Thanks Ken

yes it will pull it but I run semi chisel chain or skip chain so you don't get so much drag
and It doesn't slow the saw down so much

Your badge says 290 but I know that motor is a bit bigger.

I have ran a 290 with 3/8 20" bar. It was in soft wood and I was too lazy to keep bending over.

I have a MS 290 (that really is a MS 290)

And I have another saw with MS 290 badge on it that I make people think :jester:

I kinda like getting saws that AS members here on AS hate and talk bad about and make them sing :msp_biggrin:

Back