Stihl MS 361 vs Husqvarna 55 Rancher

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bump_r said:
.... For some reason, the Husky/Oregon chain with the funny-to-me "fold-over" depth guages dull crazy-fast for him.

He could try "real" Oregon chisel chain, as LP or LG instead of the Vanguard, but I believe the Stihl chain will have a slight edge in stay-sharp anyway, so there is no real reason to do it.....

I also suspect that his problem with the Vanguard may be getting the rakers right, and not the cutters......

Now were talking and making sence.
Btw, Husky considers the 55 Rancher a pro saw, Check there web site.
55.5 cc weighing in at 13.2 lbs. Steel crank.
the MS361 is a pro saw also as we all know.
59.0cc weighing in at 12.3 lbs. steel crank.
Big price differance. it's all in your attitude.

I see mechanics use craftsmans tools do the same thing as mechanics with snap on tools.
the man with the craftsman tools losses a tool says "no big deal it was cheap.
The man with the Snap on tools loses a tool, Hes looking for it why because it cost more.
Attitude makes you a Pro.
Also remember "A cheap man pays twice".
Both are good saws.

Stan_1966 asked what saw would make a good saw for him.
I say go for anyone there are both good saws.

You never told us what you are going to be using it for.
so please fill us in more on your intentions.

Manual, the numbers you listed for the 55, probably belongs to the 455, which has more cc and a lot more weight......

The 55 is 53.2 cc, and just over 11 lbs ......

Last edited:
I see a lot of responses that seem to characterize "homeowners" as those with no need for (or shouldn't have) a larger saw.... homeowners in this area would disagree with you... Suberbia sprawls out deep into the forested/wooded areas, lots aren't all tiny with small boxes on them ... If neighbors within miles of my house posted this same question and got told they didn't deserve or need a larger, or even better quality saws, they'd think you were all full of it :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Don't shove everyone into just two boxes... hmmm... I wonder which of the "two" many on AS belong in ?? ;)

And... If you look at Stan's other thread... He was using an 034Super in the late 80's... The 361 is a close match..

Last edited:
Lakeside53 said:
I see a lot of responses that seem to characterize "homeowners" as those with no need for (or shouldn't have) a larger saw.... homeowners in this area would disagree with you... Suberbia sprawls out deep into the forested/wooded areas, lots aren't all tiny with small boxes on them ... If neighbors within miles of my house posted this same question and got told they didn't deserve or need a larger, or even better quality saws, they'd think you were all full of it :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Don't shove everyone into just two boxes... hmmm... I wonder which of the "two" many on AS belong in ?? ;)
Thats my point...
I was being sarcastic with my first post.

Lakeside53 said:

I would agree with ya, but since the question had a dunce smilie to start with, then Freak made comment of "still not bought a saw?", I had to put my reply behind the concept of "If you gotta ask..."

Seems to me, anyone that could use or appreciate a 361 would never let this question come out of his keyboard - if ya need it, you know it. If a guy is still dipping his feet in the pool, I'd steer him to a base saw for now, but not close the door regarding it becoming his ONLY saw. Again - if ya need a 361, don't you also need a back up? Get the 55, go from there.

In all reality, my Mighty MS290 would take care of all of my must-cut needs - the extras I now have are to eother widen my field of play (460) or take strain out of small stuff (170). It's hard for me to conceive of a new weekend warrior (if my perception's off, sorry) starting off with a 361.

Besides, if we can get a guy to start off with a Husky, it'll be EASY to convert him to a Stihl for keeps!!!:hmm3grin2orange: <-- smiley for the 'tards who can't tell a tongue-in-cheek comment...

SawTroll said:
Manual, the numbers you listed for the 55, probably belongs to the 455, which has more cc and a lot more weight......
The 55 does not even show up in the husky site. So I went with the 455

bump_r said:
I would agree with ya, but since the question had a dunce smilie to start with, then Freak made comment of "still not bought a saw?", I had to put my reply behind the concept of "If you gotta ask..."

Seems to me, anyone that could use or appreciate a 361 would never let this question come out of his keyboard - if ya need it, you know it. If a guy is still dipping his feet in the pool, I'd steer him to a base saw for now, but not close the door regarding it becoming his ONLY saw. Again - if ya need a 361, don't you also need a back up? Get the 55, go from there.

In all reality, my Mighty MS290 would take care of all of my must-cut needs - the extras I now have are to eother widen my field of play (460) or take strain out of small stuff (170). It's hard for me to conceive of a new weekend warrior (if my perception's off, sorry) starting off with a 361.

Besides, if we can get a guy to start off with a Husky, it'll be EASY to convert him to a Stihl for keeps!!!:hmm3grin2orange: <-- smiley for the 'tards who can't tell a tongue-in-cheek comment...
Why do I feel a sharp pain in my back ? :monkey:
Looks like he started out with a Stihl and is looking at Huskys:hmm3grin2orange:

Lakeside53 said:
Now you've gone and done it!! Troll won't be able to sleep until this is is done.;)
No problem, I don't feel like answering such questions right now.

Manual, there is lots of treads about the unworthyness of the 455 as a replacement for the 55 here - do a search, you must have missed a lot......:biggrinbounce2:

Well, OK - for starters, the 55 is borderline to a pro saw, the 455 is an overweight plasic case comsumer saw, with far too little power for its weight.

SawTroll said:
Manual, there is lots of treads about the unworthyness of the 455 as a replacement for the 55 here - do a search, you must have missed a lot......:biggrinbounce2:

Manual - Start with Sap's first thread.... the one where he talks about his 455 milling monster...
:hmm3grin2orange:

Lakeside53 said:
I see a lot of responses that seem to characterize "homeowners" as those with no need for (or shouldn't have) a larger saw.... homeowners in this area would disagree with you...

I represent that remark! :biggrinbounce2: I don't have a fireplace and don't sell firewood. I could've stuck w/ my hand-me-down Craftsman 2.3 and kept it runnin' for a long time, but then what would I do? Play golf?:bang:

How many homeowners need a Duramax, Cummins, or PSD? Or even a truck for that matter? How many people need 'dive' watches, AR15's or Pedigree dogs? How many people NEED 3500 sq.ft. houses? What does it matter?

Like Manual said. If someone want's a pro saw let 'em have it. And absolutely a cheap man pays twice...well said. It's far more common to waste money buying cheap (and hence twice or more) than over buying. A shrewd man can make an inexpensive saw a great value but that's not a requirement because he can do the same if the price goes up (because he's shrewd...)

Nearly everything I buy is to avoid buying it twice (unless I happen to want two or three of 'em..:D )

And I remain convinced that by FAR the majority of folks waste more total money on just plain stupid impulse junk in 6 mos than the cost difference in boxstore trash and a really good piece of equipment, more likely the entire cost of the better equipment. They just don't see it all at once so it's ignored.

My wife and I were amazed what we could do when we pulled out all the stops to refinance our home years ago...

I say decide what you want to spend, then add $150. You'll thank yourself later...that you actually saved $150 of junk spending and have something to show for it!

Chaser

Hard Knocks said:
Sorry links did not work, I will try again.
No point really, Huskys web-site is very good, but it often isn't possible to provide links to spesific contents :bang: - the exeptions are the pdf files.....:biggrinbounce2:

manual said:
Now were talking and making sence.
Btw, Husky considers the 55 Rancher a pro saw, Check there web site.
55.5 cc weighing in at 13.2 lbs. Steel crank.
the MS361 is a pro saw also as we all know.
59.0cc weighing in at 12.3 lbs. steel crank.
Big price differance. it's all in your attitude.

I see mechanics use craftsmans tools do the same thing as mechanics with snap on tools.
the man with the craftsman tools losses a tool says "no big deal it was cheap.
The man with the Snap on tools loses a tool, Hes looking for it why because it cost more.
Attitude makes you a Pro.
Also remember "A cheap man pays twice".
Both are good saws.

Stan_1966 asked what saw would make a good saw for him.
I say go for anyone there are both good saws.

You never told us what you are going to be using it for.
so please fill us in more on your intentions.
The saw will be used for clearing a lot.Also cutting firewood.Hopefully a weekend clearing business

saws versus saw

it boils down too three things
time using a saw
local service
ability to justify cost out lay parts:blob2:

stan_1966 said:
The saw will be used for clearing a lot.Also cutting firewood.Hopefully a weekend clearing business
I believe it should be a 361, then.........:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :blob2: :blob2:

Latest posts

Back