Stihl MS 390: Cuttin? with a pooch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olyeller

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Stihl MS 390: Cuttin’ with a pooch

Some people say the Stihl MS 390 is a real woofer, but somehow it did manage to slice its way through some rock-hard seasoned oak at the ranch this weekend that was as big as 20+ inches in diameter. However, the dogs were really giving me a hard time: “Come on, man, hurry up! If you had a pro saw we could have been out chasing rabbits 4.7 seconds sooner!”

That hard wood was tough to cut, but it took even more time to load the wood, split it and stack it than it did to cut it. Yes, I’d sure like to give a MS 460 a run through this oak, but until that day comes, I guess you’d have to say that the lowly MS 390 can get the job done, and was very cost-effective in the process. Critics bang on the 390 because it’s not a lightweight saw (a 460 is?), but once it’s in the cut the weight doesn’t really matter, does it? And for a couple truckloads of wood, the vibration isn’t really a big deal; maybe you wouldn’t want to put up with that all day every day, but I’m no pro cutter, just a guy who likes to sit beside big campfires. Which I did, with a cigar and fine spirits when the day was done.

Central California

I wanted to post these photos purposely because the terrain is so different than what I see most of the time in these posts. This in in Monterey County in central California, on the back side of the mountains from the Big Sur area. Those mountains take down most of the rainfall, but there are still plenty of old oaks on the property that shed huge limbs on a regular basis. It's certainly not picket-fence-thick forest like in other parts of the country; I've been off-road riding in Tennessee and Kentucky and as a California boy, I couldn't believe how many trees can squeeze into a few square feet--hardly room for the trails! Those dogs actually belong to my SIL and his brother, and these city pooches just love being in all that wide-open country. As do we. No turkeys or wild pigs this weekend, but plenty of oak wood was bagged!

Woofers and Oaks

I'm just east of you then. Looks much like the foothills on the west side of the Sierra. Lots of oaks there too. But you're right. Nothing like in Tennesee.

The brown dog is a full pit, but a runty one. My SIL's brother has done a fantastic job in training her. She is a #####cat around people, will fetch a ball or stick until her paws bleed, and is pure he!! on lizards at the ranch. Very sweet dog and fun to be around, she wants to play all day and all night. Just don't dress in a lizard suit and try to break in to their house some night, or you'll be toast.

I wanted to post these photos purposely because the terrain is so different than what I see most of the time in these posts. This in in Monterey County in central California, on the back side of the mountains from the Big Sur area. Those mountains take down most of the rainfall, but there are still plenty of old oaks on the property that shed huge limbs on a regular basis. It's certainly not picket-fence-thick forest like in other parts of the country; I've been off-road riding in Tennessee and Kentucky and as a California boy, I couldn't believe how many trees can squeeze into a few square feet--hardly room for the trails! Those dogs actually belong to my SIL and his brother, and these city pooches just love being in all that wide-open country. As do we. No turkeys or wild pigs this weekend, but plenty of oak wood was bagged!

Could just be me but it looks like the backdrop they used to bring in for school pics back in the 70ies. :poke:

Back