Stihl MS 440 magnum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
my wife informed me yesterday she ordered a stihl ms440. i need to hear about it. i have 1.5 acres, all trees and just enough was cleared to build my house. in the last 2 years i have taken down 44 large trees using a 18"poulan, which has stayed alive with alot of TLC, many new bars and chains but the motor is getting tired..cost was 135$ new, nothing strong and fancy. i told my wife i'm gonna need to spend around 400$ to get a stihl or husky, so fathers day around the corner, she went and ordered a stihl ms 440. she got a much better model than i was going to buy and i am happy as a pig in "u know what!".
the big question.....how is handling the weight? i see it is about 13.5 lbs and want a comparison to my tuff lil poulan which weighs peanuts compared to that. she got it with the 20" bar. how are the nice features on this machine? anything good or bad will be appreciated. oh, i am a pretty big guy, so as far as the weight question, looking to see comments on working all day with it, felling 5-6 good size trees (12"-18" dia. on the average), and getting them cut up in 16" lengths.
thanks, Vman

Nice saw. Nice wife.

That 440 will cut so much better that you will quickly forgive the weight, and wonder why you didn't get it long ago. Life is too short to run weak saws.

You are good-to-go.

Oh, and install the ported exhaust front cover (casing).

You will certainly notice the weight at first, but will get used to it easily. In short, the 440 is one of the best chainsaws on the market -- in every respect.

Take your wife to dinner -- she deserves it for having outstanding judgement!

I have no personal experience with the ms440, but I will say, with everyone that I've heard owns one, I still have yet to hear anything bad about one. almost a perfect all around saw.

The sharp chain is a MUST on this saw, with a 20" bar, you can use either a 7 or an 8 tooth rim on it. I stick with 8T rims for speed.

Last edited:
That saw will still be ready to do more work, long after you are ready to call it quits for the day. I know it sounds corny but read the manual that comes with the saw. Do the maintainance and keep the chain sharp. Mike

Sylvatica....is the ported exhaust front cover an option/accessory, or a piece that comes with the saw and some neglect to install?

oldsaw-addict....i don't know which rim is coming with the saw, i will know when it gets here, the dealer said middle of the week next week according to my wife.

rupedoggy ...don't sound corny at all, i know alot of people that don't read and maintain, than the machine is in the junk pile well before it's time. "rest assured", i take good care of my toys, i can't tell you all the jokes ihear from my buddies that gimme a hand about the poulan still running and cutting, they tell me it should have been retired and the the garbage a long time ago....LOL.

thanks to everyone for all the quick replies with great info!!
i usually get to fell and cut up about 5-6 trees good size trees in one day, than spend the next weekend ortwo sitting at the log splitter and grinding the stumps out with my praxis 9hp (great little tuff machine!!), than start all over again, i guess i actually get about 4-5 days during the spring and summer of getting the trees down, but manage to get down quite a few big ones in those few days with the help of good friends, always followed by a massive BBQ with a big cooler full of u know what. in-between, i also get a good number of lil trees down by myself. hope i didn't bore you all, just thought i would give u a quick idea of my situation and work with the trees.

any more info/tips much appreciated,
Vman

The best tips are get yourself some ear protection, hardhat with fac shield, and chainsaw chaps.

Vman, you don't really need that ported casing by any means. I like it because it brings the exhaust flow back in line with what the engine designer wanted (a bit more power, cooler head temps) not what the bunny-huggers feel like we need to have (evidenced by the Clinton-era mini exhaust port). Some guys wait til the warranty period has passed and then do a muffler mod, but the Stihl ported cover is slick and stock. Your dealer might not think its a great idea, but who cares.

oldsaw-addict said:
The best tips are get yourself some ear protection, hardhat with fac shield, and chainsaw chaps.

Well, I've said it before and I'll say it again. PPE is great but it does not prevent accidents. The only safe way to use a chainsaw is to learn how to use it properly BEFORE you start cutting wood.

Get some instruction from your dealer and/or a chainsaw expert.

i absolutely agree about PPE being neccessary, but the fact remains it does not prevent accidents. i began cutting wood when i was 14 with my dad...and safety was always first (i am now 42). i use chaps, long thick leather glove on my left hand, ear protection, and goggles (but gonna get a hard hat and face shield as another member mentioned). also use 3/8" steel cable w/ come-along and spring line when needed for fell direction.
a lil more about me (since i am new to the forum) so u know what i am . worked 20 years in the printing business, blue collar, large post-press machinery. i ended that trade after 20 years and went back to school and became a nurse. i heard all the jokes from my friends already about becoming a nurse, but if u got a new one, i will hear/read it...LOL. i work on a post-op bone & joint wing. my past time....i enjoy hunting, fishing, competition shooting, and am a machining hobbyist.

my wife stopped buying me uggly ties a while ago, since she can never get me into a suit or jacket...LOL. she got me the new saw, IMO, cause she loves the way the property is shaping up and wants me to continue downing the trees, maybe more of an incentive toy than a fathers day present..LOL (she has no clue i enjoy doing the tree work, not to mention it makes the yardwork and mowing easier for me, so i beat her to the punch, but won't let her know that). i got her a nice set of "Emeril" cookware for mom's day a few years back that she was bugging me for, needless to say they are collecting dust in the cabinet...i am sure u guys know the drill....LOL
anyway, safety is always first!!.
Vman

I want a new 440 from my wife as well, you are very lucky. You will be very happy with the saw, I dont have a 440 but I do have a 046, the power of what you have now and will be changing to is two differant worlds, keep a sharp chain and the saw will do more than you can.

i am in greenville, ny. there are actually 2 "greenville, ny's". i am near port jervis, the tri-state area of ny, nj, and pa.

ok, after looking through the site site last night, i see the bulk of the members are A-1 pro's, so i gotta ask for advice, hope u don't mind. i am a pretty well experienced home-owner, when i drop a tree, i lay out a few 3 foot length pieces of about a 10" diameter tree i have saved for the purpose of having the tree land on for easier cutting the tree into 16"-18" pieces for splitting .......(for keeping the tree off the ground like this.. ===+====+====+====+===). is there an easier, simpler way to do this? i use a log jack/roller, but it is useless when just beginning a large tree (large to me 12"-18"+). i actually do quite well getting the trees down on the lengths i lay out, just want to know if there is an easier, quicker, more efficient way.
thanks again

Vman said:
...just want to know if there is an easier, quicker, more efficient way.
thanks again

What other equipment do have to work with? Tractor and front end loader, etc., or are you doing it totally by hand?

i have a stump grinder and logsplitter, small JD lawn tractor with cart and landscape rake, that is all. have an awesome neighbor who comes over with his M/F tractor with loader to dig out some rocks and brings the topsoil i get back to the areas i clear, but don't want to ask for much more than that, he has been to good to me, i grind out stumps for him and take care of his leaves in the fall, we are on really good terms, but like i said, don't want to over do it with him.
thanks

Vman said:
i am in greenville, ny. there are actually 2 "greenville, ny's". i am near port jervis, the tri-state area of ny, nj, and pa.

Beautiful country up there, my grandparents owned a few acres on the Neversink? river, as a kid I remember lots of granite and cool rafting in the summer.

i lay out a few 3 foot length pieces of about a 10" diameter tree i have saved for the purpose of having the tree land on for easier cutting the tree into 16"-18" pieces for splitting .......(for keeping the tree off the ground like this.. ===+====+====+====+===). is there an easier, simpler way to do this?

Try not to cut all the way through your notch and leave the trunk attached to the stump. If you make your notch a foot or so high and it stays attached, then you can undercut the shaft wood starting at the top back to the stump. Cutting like this can also increase risk of barberchair so start with some smaller trees and practice. More chance of saw kickback when undercutting, so be careful and it might take some practice to get the notches correct. Some wood holds better, oak, hickory, elm,pine, anything stringy works best. Good luck with your new saw, 044/440 one of my favorites for just about any job. My compliments to your wife on a great saw choice. :)
Be carefull.

We each find our own ways of dealing with these situations, and if you are having success with your method, that is what counts.

Another method is to make all your desired cuts partially through the log at each point, then roll the log and finish each cut. A tool that I have found indispensable for working with logs is the LogRite 60" Peavey. At 60", you can get an amazing amount of leverage and its aluminum handle makes the tool very light. Here's a link:

LogRite 60" Peavey

Latest posts

Back