Stihl MS 440 magnum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you are limbing you can take all of the branches off one side of the tree first and then roll it(through carefull cutting of remaining limbs) onto the previously removed limbs. The removed limbs will provide a bed to keep your chain out of the dirt. Obviously you need your hinge to break for the tree to roll.

You are removing the limbs anyway so why do more work by carrying anything around to put under the tree or roll it?

Russ

lots of good info and suggestions!!
Dadatwins ..yep, nice up here and i love it, the neversink and the delaware overflowed and flooded about 2 months back, don't know if u heard about it. i am on top of the mountain near exit 2 on I-84.
gonna try making the notch lower like u said, guess i normally notch about about waist high, no specific reason, just comfort.

fwf ...i have one of the peaveys from a different company, i believe it is call a timberjack or log jack...but it only 42" i think, gonna get me the 60", thanks for the link!! i haven't seen one that long before, and i have looked, but not good enough i guess. i also do the partial cut that u explained and it works occasionally, all depends on the shape of the tree...not too many have trunks even close to straight. sometimes i clear enough dirt out under the tree to slide in a small floor jack and use that to get some clearance.

jokers...that works for me once in a while, but most of the trees are oaks that are bare for the first 20-30ft or more...than the branches spread out...kinda like tall mushrooms, my guess is that i am in heavy woods and they thrive for the sun. i sometimes drop the first tree, than several others over it, but the downfall of that is a a PIA with a maze of limbs to cut through.

gonna try it all,,,,i got enough trees to do it with!! already got trees planned out for the 440 next weekend, and see what happens.
thanks a million for the suggestions and tips, i appreciate them more than u know! i'll listen to all them, the more efficient i can be, the more i can get done!

Hi Vman.

you sound like a lucky guy, you got a wonderful wife! Nice saw.

That is a nice area up that way! I've been up in NW NJ and NE PA quite a bit.. Our dogs sled club puts on a race in High Point state park. I havent ventured over the border into NY yet though.. I'm afraid i wont cross back over here to NJ. :)

Hey, one small suggestion.. Dont do what i did.. When we bought our house and the one acre lot it is on, it was over grown and had a lot of tree's. I took out about 95 % of the trees. Now i'm kicking my self in the arse, and wishing i knew now what i didnt know then. But i took out alot of the wrong trees and left alot of the wrong ones.Cutting them down was so much fun, i didnt know when to stop, and didnt make the right choices on removals.
Really look at your trees and make a game plan. I didnt look and think about each tree, i removed them as i seen fit for future projects. Like where the shed was going to go, where i was going to park the tractor, etc.. The few trees i have left have bad crotches, scars, decay, etc. I took out some nice straight, tall locusts, a really nice straight Walnut, etc.. I sure wish i had left them and removed the junk i'm left with now. :blush:

Have fun,
Ron

eyeinstine said:
Really look at your trees and make a game plan. I didnt look and think about each tree, i removed them as i seen fit for future projects. Like where the shed was going to go, where i was going to park the tractor, etc..

Great advice, selective clear cutting away the junk and leaving some shade always a better idea than creating an empty field.

Originally Posted by eyeinstine
Really look at your trees and make a game plan. I didnt look and think about each tree, i removed them as i seen fit for future projects. Like where the shed was going to go, where i was going to park the tractor, etc..

absolutely!! started originally getting all the trees down that were endangering the house (quite a few). then for the horseshoe driveway, left trees along the inside of the driveway to line the horshoe, than took down the rest inside the horseshoe, except for 1 dead smack in the center of the horseshoe. working on the future back yard, but leaving some here and there for shade and wind protection.
eyeinstine...i am about 10 mins from high point!! nice area and not crowded, can do what i want!!

Sorry, I missed the original posting raving about how good this saw is, but I've been gone for the weekend. But I'd be remiss if I didn't mention it. Great saw. I love mine, and it may be my favorite of my saws. Like has been mentioned, you'll not notice the weight when you see how well it cuts, and it's very managable anyways. And I heartily suggest the dual port muffler. You can get it from your dealer easily. Do a search on here for "044 muffler mod," and you'll find some good threads that include part numbers, opinions and all you'll need to know.

Enjoy the saw. And women that condone saw purchases are great...I've got one of my own.

Jeff

Not meant as an insult to you, but other readers might appreciate my 2cents--Since you're on a residential lot, precise felling can be critical. Take your time, building a well-formed notch, which means (a)one (b)clean (c)straight felling edge, at the intersection of two clean flat planes, e.g. the top and bottom cuts. As if that weren't enough, it has to be carefully aimed for the fall. Only a hot dog will try to brag about how easy that complex geometric task is to do. Getting the two straight cutting planes (the top and bottom cuts) of the notch to exactly intersect in one straight line, which is aimed the right point, while cutting thru a cylinder, let alone an irregular one with spiraling buttress humps etc., on stump on uneven and tilted ground, is not as easy as many might think it to be.

On large trees with critical aiming, I've even used a carpenter's T-square to check the "aim" the notch edge. Absent windage and an uneven hinge, the tree will fall within 1-5° of a good, straight, single edge, notch, which has not been undermined with Dutchman cuts. It's also my belief that if center of gravity of the tree is eccentric to the line of the fall, it will *not affect the aiming of a well made notch and hinge. The notch *will control the fall, and the momentum of the fall will already be aimed by the hinge, before the so-called COG can even start to spin the tree.

On a large tree, with buttresses etc., it might take a good hour to two even to form a straight one-edge notch, at the correct depth etc, for control on a residential fall. After getting most of the notch wood out of the way, it might work to "shape" the notch inward in small steps to get a single clean edge, aimed just right.

If you overcut the inside edge with either the top or bottom cuts, you have a dutchman potential, which can barberchair (a young arborist was *decapitated a few years ago (rescue crews put his body in one body bag, and his head in another!) from a hasty notch and barberchain, working for a developer here in Northern Virginia ), and you won't know where the tree will fall. Your 440 will handle plunge cuts nicely, which can reduce the barbechair potential, but that won't reduce the barberchair risk from an overcut in the notch.

If you don't want the tree to "jump" off the stump, open the notch face up all the way (make it 90°+ viewed from the side). Otherwise the notch will close at some point during the fall, and will lift the trunk and pull the hinge wood all the way out. If you can keep the trunk "on the hinge," as it were, then you can push 6-10" logs under the raised trunk, then you can cut the hinge wood and "drop" the log off the stump an onto the ground logs. If the tree snaps the hinge, then it's kind of hard to predict where the trunk will land. The limbs that hit the ground first can cause the trunk to roll or bounce in the opposite direction. But some times the branch "first to hit" will just snap, so it can be hard to predict what the bounce will be, if the hingewood has been broken.

I also use a 12000# hydraulic winch, with a dynamic pull (a nylon strop with say 100# of chains) for residential drops (MileMarker brand--same as on the military Humvies). It's the weight of the chains that makes the winch line do its thing (from the top, accelerates the tree in the right direction). But, I can put a few tons of pull, at 30° off the line of the notch, and the tree will fall, *precisely on the line of the notch, and for purposes of aiming, will ignore the pull of the winch. (But the acceleration is fantastic, for snapping limbs, and getting the trunk down on the ground--so that it can be limbed *safely.) A hydraulilc winch is also handy if you need to drag the trunk, or a large branch, out of way, or to roll a large tree over, and raise it up onto some ground logs, after after partially limbing a side.

Take great care with them limbing operations --- especially on large trees, limbing is more dangerous than felling, all day long.

The ms 440 is a great saw, I have an 044 with the muffler mod and 18" bar... I recommend the muffler mod as well. I run an 8 tooth rim on mine as well for a little more chain speed, and it cuts like a banshee... Keep a SHARP chain and it will bring a smile to your face every time.....

I just got married a great girl at the beginning of the month, so no kids yet, and no fathers day presents, but I don't think I will ever see a chainsaw for a father's day present out of her.... :( LOL

Molecule...no insults taken at all! safety always comes first without a doubt, and i hold in high regards your inforcement of it. most of trees i have are 50-60 ft, i began with determing where i want the tree to land, make sure no other trees are in the way where it may get hung up on the way down, i use a large 45 deg angle (home made) to determine where the top of the tree will land....and give more than enough room for error, i use a steel cable with come-along when guidance is the least bit critical, and a spring line to the side if i deem it is needed. i begin my notch very small (sort of a pre-notch), the walk to the expected path of fall and see if i am inline with my cut, than proceed or correct my notch before the full notch is made.i make sure everyone is in a safety-zone before the cutting begins. all the trees endangering my house are already down and gone...which i will admit, i am glad it is over....some of them were over powerlines and the house and took great care making the back cut a little at a time and backing the tree out with the steel cable, and was relieved when the trees fell where i wanted them to....great care was taken in everyone, and i still take great care downing the trees away from the house. safety is always an issue, and good info like you provided is always accepted and should never be ignored.
i actually have 3 trees that i will have a pro come in to drop for me, the are smaller trees but within inches of the powerline and will not touch them. again, no insult taken and appreciate your post.

ontario026....give it time!! the real gig that got my wife to get the saw was that she is loving how the property is shaping up...i think she figured getting me the top class saw will keep going with the clearing...LOL...she don't realize the clearing actually is making my work less as far as yardwork and mowing as every tree down makes the mowing and leafing easier!!! congrats on the new bride, and make her think the trees in the yard u gotta take down need a top quality machine!!...or at least some new toys!!

Back