Stihl ms 460 Side cover getting excessively hot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chriscls

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey I have a stihl ms 460 and the chain side of the saw has been getting excessively hot, it oils fine clutch drum spins freely. Just wondering if you guys might know what that might be?

Lots of goop surrounding the clutch cover can cause that also, either inside or outside. It gets packed in there like a rock. Remove the clutch cover and clean/scrape it all out with steel wool.

A guy recently gave me a chainsaw that he said "no longer runs right." The entire inside of the clutch-side housing was packed with a pound of hard mud that had been there for years. It took a chisel, screwdriver and paint scraper to pry it all loose and scrape it out. Imagine what surrounded the clutch.

Lots of goop surrounding the clutch cover can cause that also, either inside or outside. It gets packed in there like a rock. Remove the clutch cover and clean/scrape it all out with steel wool.

A guy recently gave me a chainsaw that he said "no longer runs right." The entire inside of the clutch-side housing was packed with a pound of hard mud that had been there for years. It took a chisel, screwdriver and paint scraper to pry it all loose and scrape it out. Imagine what surrounded the clutch.
Did you say :dumb2::wtf:

I recently had a guy bring in a 460 that was "getting real hot" on the clutch side. The chain had eaten completely through the rim sprocket and had devoured the needle bearing. It was starting to work on the crankshaft. He said he kept tightening the chain tensioner again and again because he had to get the job done. Finally, it wouldn't tighten up any more and refused to track, so he quit. That saved the crank shaft.

He said things were smokin' pretty good and the noise was deafening, kind of like a cement mixer. Imagine the heat. Gasp!

Did you take the brake dust cover off and clean that area as well? Any chance the brake band is not fully disengaging and causing friction. Friction is obviously being caused by heat or possible air leak in top of cylinder. More than likely not the latter. You can literally start taking the clutch drum, and clutch off as well as work gear and see if it builds heat. If it doesn’t you know it is 1 if 3 things, clutch, drum, or brake band.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like a slippery clutch to me. Either your drum is too worn to let the shoes fully engage - evidenced by a deep band on the inside where the shoes engage.
Worn shoes, bad springs, bad needle cage could conceivably cause this issue as well... Also if your sprocket is very worn chain slippage would cause friction build up

210421AC-B66C-4BE1-8784-65EDFC3481BA.jpeg AF17FCD7-599C-4971-96BE-6F1F392EAC22.jpeg 8D97E72F-BFDC-49B5-8926-C387643DF841.jpeg 31A8A589-663D-4C50-A40D-2801A62E39CA.jpeg I checked everything nothing is binding up or causing obvious friction. I tried a new sprocket. Clutch and drum don’t look very worn but I guess that doesn’t necessarily mean anything.

How does your clutch sit inside the drum? If the drum is a little warped it could just be rubbing it at idle.

Only thing I could see is when I spin the clutch it isn’t perfectly rounded where the clutches meet.

So if the clutch/drum were on the crankshaft do you think they'd make any contact? Bear in mind if your clutch springs are weak they may be engaging a little bit even at idle. Might not be enough to overcome b/c load but enough to really rub on the drum.

One way to check it is just put the clutch on only and let it idle see if the shoes are spreading out and especially if they're staying quite circular.

Latest posts

Back