Stihl Ms 660 Rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha I wonder if I can find a piece of aluminium or steel this thickness and jb weld it in place!

Edit - feeler gauges :)
Don't be picky. Brass and whole other host of items including copper pipe will do. Think schedule 80 😉
Remember to prep and zinc coat the non ferrous alloys before bedding them with JB.

Don't be picky. Brass and whole other host of items including copper pipe will do. Think schedule 80 😉
Remember to prep and zinc coat the non ferrous alloys before bedding them with JB.
Can you elaborate on that zinc coating? Is that to stop galvanic corrosion?

So true regarding other materials, any will work, but being able to slide different widths of feeler gauges in to get the right height sure is handy :) heck I may stick them in different locations for a quick and easy fix if necessary lol.

Edit: just realised I have a mini lathe I can turn down some brass rod, drill the hole in the case and jb weld it in place :) fancy!

Can you elaborate on that zinc coating? Is that to stop galvanic corrosion?

So true regarding other materials, any will work, but being able to slide different widths of feeler gauges in to get the right height sure is handy :) heck I may stick them in different locations for a quick and easy fix if necessary lol.

Edit: just realised I have a mini lathe I can turn down some brass rod, drill the hole in the case and jb weld it in place :) fancy!
No.
.... it's for bite or adhesion. It also seals the surface.
In marine applications it keeps the paint on. Once the coating is physically breached it is just another primer coat.

Greased popsicle sticks slide right out. JB and those space the brake band evenly. Add them anywhere you like. Double the bump stops no sweat. Been there did that. I'll get you links to zinc costs in a spray can.

No.
.... it's for bite or adhesion. It also seals the surface.
In marine applications it keeps the paint on. Once the coating is physically breached it is just another primer coat.

Greased popsicle sticks slide right out. JB and those space the brake band evenly. Add them anywhere you like. Double the bump stops no sweat. Been there did that. I'll get you links to zinc costs in a spray can.
Interesting couldn’t you just use an abrasive to roughen the surface of the steel feeler gauge for a similar result? I’ll google that zinc paint none the less!

Ahh edit: I use an etch epoxy primer already :)

Great advise as always from @trains on a good way to build up the supports for the break band.

Gets held nicely now using JB steel stick epoxy metal putty.

Clean post areas, form the break band thickness around the drum, install the drum and fit pyrmid shaped pieces of steel stick. Gently file them when set to tightly accept the oversize drum. Add break band and file to fit a final time..

IMG_3573.jpegIMG_3575.jpegIMG_3577.jpegIMG_3578.jpeg

Back