Stihl ms 660 to 880 conversion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank120

Reaction score
Hello. This is my first post and I was wondering if anybody has done this. I'm a stihl fanatic. I like buying train wrecks. Fixing them and either selling or keeping them.
I currently own:
Stihl,
20T
1965 homelite super wiz.
1974 McCullough min Mac 30
And a not sure of year wright reciprocal saw. Looks to be mid 60's.
All runners except the 66 the wiz and the wright. Stihl 66 is a basket case. Wiz is 75% done. Wright has compression but 30 year old gas. That's my next project after the wiz.
Enough about me. My 066 needs a jug and piston.
66 has a 40 mm stroke. 88 has a 43 inch stroke. Assuming they are both the same design can I buy a jug and piston for an 88 and bolt it onto my 66 and adj carb accordingly?
I have a friend that was in need of a big saw. I got a 66 off eBay a while back. It needed a jug and piston. I bought the big bore kit and ported the muffler. WOW! I was impressed. So impressed I bought the basket case 66. Then I got to thinking about an 88 jug on mine instead of a 66 big bore kit.

Nope not going to just bolt on. A bit bigger on the bolt pattern and the clamp on muffler will cause a problem. You could possibly bore a 660 cylinder to 58mm and use a 395 big bore piston.

I live on Long Island. Every machine shop out here, and there are a bunch! Of 4'stroke car engine shops get scared of a small 2 stroke over bore. So what do I do?

There's a few places that will bore the cylinder to your piston you provide. Us chrome, millennium, and there's one more. I doubt there's room to go to 60mm. None of it will be cheap though. A good woods port on an oem cylinder will be a good running saw.

Thanks for the link. I have 2 jugs for a 66 that are in need of a good hone. I'm going to expirement a bit and see if I can get 60mm out of them.

Next question, does the 66 and 88 share the same wrist pin diameter and length?

Back