Stihl MS029 Super Farm Boss

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riverrat123

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm new here, and just wanna get some advice and such. There is a summary at the bottom if you don't care to read my long windedness here hehe. I tend to be very long winded so I usually summary at the bottom for those who get intimidated by the giant walls of text I tend to come up with.

It's been many many years since I had handled a chain saw, but since I inherited a farm and am currently remodeling to the old house and such to move into, and the April tornado outbreak in Alabama, I knew I was going to have to have a dependable chain saw. I have a couple of them, but have been unable to get my hands on them yet because they are in a friends storage, and they are all really old and will need a lot of work I'm sure. I'll get my hands on them and get some pictures up to get some advise from you fine folks soon enough.

So I took off to the flea market with $200 in hand, and went about a search, nothing too big, nothing too small. I came across many used but not abused Stihl, Husky, and Poulan chainsaws. But found for $200 a very well maintainted MS029, was super clean, and still cold, after hearing chain saws running all day I was surprised no one had fired this one up yet. During my research I had read these things have cold start issues. I asked "Can I fire it up?", the gentleman said "Sure.". Popped it to max choke, gave her a pull, switched to half choke, gave it a pull and Whirrrrrrr, scared the crap out of some kids nearby. This thing fires up second or third pull EVERY time I go to use it.

I ran 3 tanks of fuel through her yesterday cleaning up KOed Water oak that has been down in the yard since April. Never missed a beat, never gave me issues cutting. Yeah, she's a bear to carry around though, but I figure it's a good free workout. I think we ended up with about 2.5 cords of good wood out of the clean up. I still haven't had to break out the new chain I purchased for it as the old chain is still as sharp as the day I bought it after cutting around in that dirty old downed oak all day.

Now to the questions. I know I want to get a 20" bar to run on it. And during my searches, the least expensive pro level bar I can find is Arbor Max. Are these worth the money? I mean I know this is likely not a low kick back bar, and the chain that's comes with it isn't either, but I was planning on running a semi chisel Oregon chain I'll order with the bar, and if I need some extra cutting power on clean wood, pull out the chisel chain. Are these as good as Oregon or factory Stihl dollar for dollar?

I'm planning a muffler mod (Thanks for the info NMurphy!) in the near future to help her handle the 20" just a little better. Should I also get a 16" bar to run on this puppy for when I don't need the extra length of the 20" bar, or should I just split the difference and keep using an 18" bar? I know chunking out that 5' diameter Oak stump low enough to get a grinder on it will work a lot better with a 20" bar, but can be feasible with an 18. I do plan to get a seperate limbing saw to use to limb trees and cut up smaller stuff, so should I get that in a 16" or 14" and convert the boss into a 20"?

Since I never had to mainting my saws in the past, and it was all done by dad or the landscaping company I worked for I have no clue. All the advice I can get it worth it's weight in gold. I need this puppy to last a lifetime and do it efficiently and safely.

I need tons of advice, What tools do I need to put together as a maintenance kit, what maintenance should I do after a days work, etc. Like I say, it's been a long time. At least 20 years. And hopefully this will make sense, and someone will be able to waste some time to help me out.

Summary
Arbor Max bars worth investing in?
move up to a 20" bar and get a sperate limbing saw or stay 18"?
limbing saw in 14" or 16"
what to put in a maintenace kit?
What work day maintenance should be being performed when used?

Sorry if this belongs elsewhere, I'm trying to figure out the best place to get feedback as it was a few hours in the chainsaw forum with nothing.

Last edited:
Thread is back, shoulda been here after all. At this moment, I guess the most important knowledge I'm looking for is proper tools I need to keep with my saws for maintenance and emergency repair, and what types of maintenance I need to perform after a good days use of my saw.

I've had an 029 super for about 11 years, I ran a 20" Stihl bar on it with RSC chain and I went back to an 18". It runs the 20, it will pull good with the 20, it does better with an 18.

A few tools to keep on hand is your scrench, a T27 torx screwdriver, a file for the chain and a small flat screwdriver. Maybe a pair of small channel locks or pliers of some sort. Those tools should cover about any field repair including replacing a clutch if you wanted to.

A few spare parts to keep on hand: an air filter would be a good choice, but I never have and have never needed an extra... though it would be nice occasionally. Two must haves would be an extra bar nut or two, an extra roller bearing and the clip and washer that holds the sprocket on. Some folks may say an extra fuel filter, couldn't hurt to have an extra but I don't.

Unless I missed it, include a spare spark plug in your tool box, and make sure it's properly gapped (or bring along gauges).

As far as maintenance, I take the bar, chain, and clutch cover off and thoroughly clean those parts as well as the entire clutch/sprocket area (compressor air nozzle works great for this). Be sure to get all the dust and gunk out of the bar slot, especially around the oiler holes and front sprocket. Also blow off the engine cooling fins and air filter (gently). Reassemble, tension chain, fill with bar oil, and run to make sure it's oiling everything properly.

Normally I do this sort of maintenance every 10-12 hours of use, but it really depends on how hard you're using it and how dusty or stringy the wood is. If storing the saw for anything more than 7-10 days, I would also empty the fuel tank and run the carb dry.

As far as bar size, I think 18" is the sweet spot for the Farm Boss and similar saws. Not a whole lot of increased capability going up 2" more, but you will notice the extra friction and weight (especially on balance). I have been shopping for Stihls in this size range, and the balance with an 18" bar is about perfect. They start getting nose heavy at 20" and above. So make sure you really need 20" before fiddling with the tradeoffs.

Personally, I think increments of 4" (or more) in bar size help define a good range of saw capability. So while I consider 18" to be an everyday saw for my needs, I'd go down to 14" for a lighter saw, and plan on something well above 20" if I needed a big gun. When you're simply talking 16-18-20, I don't see a lot of benefit in such a small range, and I'd say go with 18" for a good compromise, or 16" if you want it to cut like a maniac and don't need the reach/capacity.

Good luck!

Last edited:
A spare starter cord and maybe even a recoil spring wouldn't hurt either.

Never a bad idea. I've been in the field with tools and had a cord pull out, and have to go to the hardware store and buy a cord wasting at least an hour of time.

Anything in particular I need to focus on as far as cleaning and such that I should perform after each use that will keep my saw in good running order?

Unless I missed it, include a spare spark plug in your tool box, and make sure it's properly gapped (or bring along gauges).

As far as maintenance, I take the bar, chain, and clutch cover off and thoroughly clean those parts as well as the entire clutch/sprocket area (compressor air nozzle works great for this). Be sure to get all the dust and gunk out of the bar slot, especially around the oiler holes and front sprocket. Also blow off the engine cooling fins and air filter (gently). Reassemble, tension chain, fill with bar oil, and run to make sure it's oiling everything properly.

Normally I do this sort of maintenance every 10-12 hours of use, but it really depends on how hard you're using it and how dusty or stringy the wood is. If storing the saw for anything more than 7-10 days, I would also empty the fuel tank and run the carb dry.

As far as bar size, I think 18" is the sweet spot for the Farm Boss and similar saws. Not a whole lot of increased capability going up 2" more, but you will notice the extra friction and weight (especially on balance). I have been shopping for Stihls in this size range, and the balance with an 18" bar is about perfect. They start getting nose heavy at 20" and above. So make sure you really need 20" before fiddling with the tradeoffs.

Personally, I think increments of 4" (or more) in bar size help define a good range of saw capability. So while I consider 18" to be an everyday saw for my needs, I'd go down to 14" for a lighter saw, and plan on something well above 20" if I needed a big gun. When you're simply talking 16-18-20, I don't see a lot of benefit in such a small range, and I'd say go with 18" for a good compromise, or 16" if you want it to cut like a maniac and don't need the reach/capacity.

Good luck!

Thank you so very much for this info!

I have an MS290 which is the new version of the 029 super. I run an 18" bar on mine and with a MM there isn't much that slows it down. I like your plan to get a smaller saw for limbing and smaller trees. You might think about a 70cc saw for the big stuff if you cut enough big stuff to justify the expense.

As for maintenance after a days work you want to clean the saw good, including the air filter and sharpen the chain. Also back off the tension on the chain if you adjusted it when the saw was hot so that you don't bend the crankshaft.

As for tools a small screw driver for carb adjustment, a scrench for plug replacement and chain adjustment and a filing kit are what I carry with me. I have a mechanics tool set for the more serious repairs.

Riverrat123, Get a Walbro Carburetor Kit K10 HD for your maintenance kt. You are going to need it sooner or later.

P.S. Used to go camping and boating at Guntersville Lake (Mirror Lake) years ago.

Throw that saw down and go fishing! Guntersville is the place for large mouth!
For the saw, the others have covered it. I have the 290 and if you stay on top of the maintenance, the saw will last for ever. I usually knock the junk off of the filter each time I fill the saw with fuel and bar oil. I touch up the chain every 2 or 3 tanks, or more often depending on what I'm cutting.
I use the Stihl ultra oil and never look back. You can open the muffler up and retune the carb and it makes all the difference on these saws.
The only tools I carry is the scrench and a small flat screw driver for tuning the carb. If you have it adjusted correct, you can go a long time on a plug.
Just take care of it and it will do likewise.

An extra starter pawl or two. They are cheap enough, and being made out of plastic they wear out, too. Accidentally grab the cord and just yank on the sucker a little too hard and you'll see what I mean :(

I currently run an Arbor Pro bar on my 346 and it seem to be ok. I think the Arbor Max would be similar. At least one of our sponsors sells these bars. I was in Guntersville this past weekend and noticed how much tree damage is still left from the spring storms. I believe you can find all the trees you want to cut there right now. Good luck with your saw.

Thanks everyone for all the advice, I'm getting together my parts and maintenance list as we speak. Yessir, there is still a lot of trees downed from April, on my property alone there is likely 15+ cords of wood just waiting to be cut up in the fields.

Once I get full bore on clean up on the pasture land, I figure it'll be at least 5 years before I even have to think about culling trees for wood heating. I think this saw is gonna do me right. I gotta get my other saws and see what I got, see what's worth keeping, and what's worth selling off. Then get the little misses a chainsaw to limb with if I don't already have one.

We had an F4 come right across our pastures, none of our pole barns escaped unharmed, and two of them are completely gone, there is boards and nails lying everywhere in the fields making clean up very hard with the grass growth so out of control. The vast majority of the tin is nowhere to be found likely blown to lord knows where. It's been a mess, my neighbor actually found my 2200 gallon Cistern on the other side of his property, and drug it back onto mine for me lol. I've got years worth of work to get done hehe. Just not enough time.

Latest posts

Back