Stihl ms170 questions.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dont be afraid of a 170. Its been a damn fine little saw for myself. Always did what it had to do without a whimper. Starts like a champ, runs very well. IMO, the only saw i would buy for under 200 bucks new.

I couldn't agree more. I teach computer courses at a tech college. Chain saws are like computers in that most people who don't make their living with a chain saw tend to "over buy", just like so many people "over buy" their computers, then take classes with me to learn how to use them. When people ask me what computer to buy, I tell them look for a laptop for around $350. I'm partial to Toshiba, Asus, and MSI. I save people hundreds of dollars if they take a course with me "before" they buy a computer.

Just from my years of personal experience with a 170, I KNOW what it can do. I'd venture to say, most home owners would do nicely with a 30 cc saw. Even if they had a whole bunch of 24" trees to cut, the 170 can handle it. Got bigger trees, get the 16" bar.

Don <><

attachment.php

I couldn't agree more. I teach computer courses at a tech college. Chain saws are like computers in that most people who don't make their living with a chain saw tend to "over buy", just like so many people "over buy" their computers, then take classes with me to learn how to use them. When people ask me what computer to buy, I tell them look for a laptop for around $350. I'm partial to Toshiba, Asus, and MSI. I save people hundreds of dollars if they take a course with me "before" they buy a computer.

Just from my years of personal experience with a 170, I KNOW what it can do. I'd venture to say, most home owners would do nicely with a 30 cc saw. Even if they had a whole bunch of 24" trees to cut, the 170 can handle it. Got bigger trees, get the 16" bar.

Don <><

attachment.php

Honestly, I couldnt agree more. I really couldnt. On all accounts.

Don

How did you clean the oiler and replace sprocket? That's all you had to do to it in 10 yrs? How much have you used it?

Hi Josh:

I'm not a chain saw mechanic. I had my Stihl dealer do the work for $46. I've had it for 10 years, so that works out to $4.60 a year for repairs. I've used my little 170 a whole lot. Cut more than 50 full cords with it. I expect it to last me a life time. But even if it crapped out after 5 years of hard use and was scrapped, it's still worth it. $180/5 = $36 a year to have and use a chain saw. Most peoples monthly phone bill is 3 times that much !

Just about any new saw you get is gonna be a pretty decent saw.

Don <><

This saw, last time I knew, was the smallest gas that there is/was therefore it's excellent for limbing.]

Hi Jropo:

The little 170 is good for a lot more than just limbing. It's a damn fine firewood saw for trees up to 28" with a 16" bar. I'd guess that most people don't cut much more than 20" trees. A 170 with a 14" bar can handle this all day long. I prefer the 14" bar as there's less reciprocating mass which better optimizes the 170's horse power. I've NEVER felt under powered with my little 170. I only use 93 octane gas with no ethanol. I have 4 chains for it. Just keep a sharp chain on her and she's raring ta go!

Don <><

Thanks don. Should serve me well. Glad you've had good luck with yours...

Ho Josh:

I didn't mean to talk you in to a Stihl. But I see from one of your above posts that you already have a bunch of Stihls. So you probably know more about chain saws than I do. I just shared my personal experience with my 170 with ya. Be sure to let us know what you end up getting. Curious minds want to know.

Don <><

290 & 170 owner

I have a 290 and a 170
My choice is the 170 for wood under 12" nice and light can cut all day and not much slower. Works fine with a sharp blade, My 170 is at about ten years old and just broke yesterday I took it apart and I need a new motor, the Barring in the piston rod fell apart and one of the pins got stuck between the cylinder and piston. It ran good until the end. Thinking of getting a new saw and saving this one for parts.
Are the parts interchangeable on the 180.

Stihl MS-170 won't start

I've got a MS-170 given to me by a friend, who couldn't get it started. Looks in very good shape, but I can't get it going either. I put a new plug in, and have a solid spark. Would really like to get it going.. Fresh gas, 50:1 ratio Stihl oil. Will not even try to fire.

Bill

Latest posts

Back