Stihl MS170 w/problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAXJEREMY

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
First I want to say this is a great site, it was recommended to me on another forum I belong to. Did a seach on "MS170" to see if I could find a problem similar to the one my chainsaw has and I couldn't find anything, so here goes. I bought the saw a month ago, it was rebuilt, I know the MS170 is the lowest of the low end Stihls, but I got it for a good price and for what I need to do around my property it's well suited when it runs.

The seller had pretty much rebuilt the whole chainsaw, new rings bearings and seals, carb rebuild all with stihl oem parts, even a new oil pump, new pullstarter, caps and new mag. Almost like buying a new saw.

Anyway, I mix some gas, fill it up with oil and crank it a couple of times, finally get it to start. It's running, but it keeps stalling out an I have to crank it again. It does this a few times and I give up.

I've checked the plug, it's gapped to spec, it has new gas in it with the proper mix 50 to 1, the air filter and spark arrestor are both clean, but it does not want to start. I've had it running a couple of times but it won't stay running and once it cuts off it's nearly impossible to get started again, today after I got it started once I could not get it started again. I pulled the plug and checked to see if it was flooded, it didn't seem to be, the plug had some gas on it but nothing excessive. I'm good at trouble shooting mechanical things, but this is giving me fits and I'm about to give up on it and by a new saw. I'm thinking it's either a carb issue, or it's not getting any spark. Wondering if you guys have any recommendations. Thanks.

Sorry about that, just saw there was a chainsaw forum. I'm going to repost this over there. Can a mod please close this thread. Thanks

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back